What's new

How to get 100mb+ through the house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Exmachina

New Around Here
up to yesterday I had a 100mb fiber connection. I upgraded this to 400mb.

I now get 400 mb on a wired connection. However I want to get at least 100 mb throughout the house.

I was getting 30-40 mb from a Devolo 500+ homeplug .. there has been zero change with the new connection.

Apple AirPort Extreme .. 100 mb max plugged into the fiber router

The same with wifi, I have a tp- link WR 841n but that still only gives 100 mb

Can anyone suggest the best way to get at least 100 mb about 25 - 30 meters away in the living areas of the house.

New homeplug, mesh network , new router? I'm open to all suggestions!

1) all wired Gbit connections
2) all devices (AP and client) on same version of wireless AC
3) other than "just because i can" if the existing network speed is adequate, why spend the extra cash to upgrade ?

Looking at the specs for your hardware, here is the reason why. (found you hardware specs on the Internet).

I was getting 30-40 mb from a Devolo 500+ homeplug .. there has been zero change with the new connection. - 100Mbps Ethernet port. Don't believe the market hype. Wherever you can, run Ethernet cabling, run it. (Minimum CAT5e / CAT6).

The same with wifi, I have a tp- link WR 841n but that still only gives 100 mb - This device only supports up to 100 Mbps WAN / LAN ports. You should be looking at buying a device that has 1000 Mbps LAN / WAN ports.

Apple AirPort Extreme .. 100 mb max plugged into the fiber router - check you cabling between ISP device and Apple router. Minimum CAT5e / CAT6.

You did not saying anything about your wireless / wired clients. Research your devices, to see what they are capable of. Wired - 10/100/1000Mbps. Wireless - 802.11/b/g/n/ac.

As stated by a previous poster...what clients are you testing with? What are their WiFi specs? If you are only getting 100Mbps max on WiFi no matter the setup....that generally would point at the client being your limiting factor. Also, what are the settings of the WiFi you are testing on? 2.4GHz or 5GHz, channel width, etc?

I had a play with everything I could today, I can get decent speeds from an old apple AirPort Extreme which has a gigabit port. I bought a newer powerline set up with gigabit ports but I still can't get over 40mb coming out of the 2nd unit.

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get some cat6 pulled through the walls , I checked and there is a spare empty conduit

I expected the 5ghz and AC stuff to perform better but it's not, there seems a lot of shared channels can anyone kindly give me a few idea on how to improve performance of this set up.

Here are stats from the 3 devices I have at the moment.

I have 400MB coming into the office which is on the first floor and connects to an apple airport extreme gives great coverage to all rooms on that floor. But by the time it goes through a gigabit powerline adaptor and into an tp-link archer c7 I don't get 40mb .

I changed everything to gigabit yesterday.. no change.

Distance isn't huge about 30- 40mtrs from the Airport extreme to the archer following the walls and stairs (i.e not in a straight line)

Devices used: Mark's wifi network

Apple airport extreme (green ticks) located in office
Apple airport express (orange & maroon ticks) located on stairs between first floor and open plan living area

Gigaboom Network
Archer C7 ( Blue & Pink Ticks) Located in living area

Office
office%20.png

Living area
Living%20Area.png

Thanks In advance for any help you can give

You'll need devices with a 2x2 (AC1200 class) radio on 5 GHz to get what you want. Should be able to do it with the Airport Extreme, if it's an AC model.

I moved your other post here from the new thread you started. Same topic, so keep everything in one thread.

Performance depends on how many antennas and what Class (i.e. "G" "N" "AC") client devices you have. Most of your devices are "N" Class looking at that screenshot so you won't be able to get the higher "AC" speeds on 5Ghz. On 5Ghz with a 2x2 or 3x3 "AC" client you probably could hit 400 Mbps at close ranges.
Speed also depends on distance, 5Ghz is much faster but much lower in range. Another thing is on 2.4 Ghz you won't get anywhere close to 400Mbps.

Performance depends on how many antennas and what Class (i.e. "G" "N" "AC") client devices you have. Most of your devices are "N" Class looking at that screenshot so you won't be able to get the higher "AC" speeds on 5Ghz. On 5Ghz with a 2x2 or 3x3 "AC" client you probably could hit 400 Mbps at close ranges.
Speed also depends on distance, 5Ghz is much faster but much lower in range. Another thing is on 2.4 Ghz you won't get anywhere close to 400Mbps.
Most of the devices are AC clients, all the testing was done using them

MacBook Air, iPhone 7, iPad etc.

My mistake, anyway a MacBook Pro can easily cross 400 Mbps on 5Ghz I believe it can hit 650+ Mbps peak at around 10ft or less.

Last edited:
WiFi performance is going to be very location dependent...

The Airport Extreme AC - nice Wave 1 router/AP - replacing it with something else isn't going to offer much... I use Airport Extreme AC's as Access Points in my LAN, as they're good enough for both bands, and unlike many other consumer AP's, they break out the Guest Network WiFi as a separate and consistent VLAN ID if folks need that (and the AP Express does this as well, see below for more)

The Airport Express - just keep in mind that it's 802.11n, 2*2:2, and the ethernet ports are fast ethernet (100Base-T) - that being said, giving consideration on the BW, it's pretty good - e.g. delivers on the bandwidth it can, and very stable... and it's fairly power efficient.

The only complaint I have with the AP Express Dual-Band - compared to the earlier 802.11n Airport Express, the audio out for Airplay isn't quite as good - the earlier model was well known for being bit-perfect on it's DAC's when hooked up to audio equipment as a client...

I was getting 30-40 mb from a Devolo 500+ homeplug .. there has been zero change with the new connection.

If you're keeping the homeplugs - the Develo 500+ obviously is going to hold you back there - not that it's bad, but they're older tech...

Might consider updating that kit with something newer - AV1200/AV2000 kits are reasonable in price, and worth considering if one can't do a hard ethernet run...

Of course, ethernet - CAT5e - is always better ;)

Success.. I now have 300-400mb throughout the house.

I bought 2 Amplifi HD base stations and ran ethernet from the first floor to the ground floor and connected them up. Turned out to be a quick and relatively easy fix. It wasn't much more expensive than my first attempt which was 2 brand new home plugs and an Archer C7 which hardly got me any extra

Yes the power line can't do much here. Only wired can do

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

But if you got orbi some kind of mesh network it would do some good 300±

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Success.. I now have 300-400mb throughout the house.

I bought 2 Amplifi HD base stations and ran ethernet from the first floor to the ground floor and connected them up. Turned out to be a quick and relatively easy fix. It wasn't much more expensive than my first attempt which was 2 brand new home plugs and an Archer C7 which hardly got me any extra
How are you measuring performance?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!