What's new

Impossible speed tests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bloop

New Around Here
Hi,
i want to start off by saying hi to everyone and telling you abit about myself im an it admin specialized in network security in Finland.

So this has nothing to do with my workplace but my parents just got a fiber connection installed and so did my neighbor so this weekend i reconfigured their networks for fiber (they had 4g modems before) but when it came to test their speeds they are impossibly high.
Both my parents and their neighbor pay for 100 down and around 20 up (atrociously low ik but its really expensive here) but speed tests with different target servers and different providers had a result between 400-800 Mb/s.
So my leading theory is bc our isp is known for scummy behavior maybe they have whitelisted speed tests from their throttling profile or they are doing something on their end to artificially bump the results.
What im wondering is what do you guys think? and what would be a good approach to get realistic result ?

Try downloading a large file from a server you know is usually fast. A Linux distribution for example.

Welcome to the forums @Bloop.

What test are you using? I would try multiple test sites and also download directly from a known/fast server (MS, etc.).

While I might not believe a single test, I would believe what many are indicating. :)

Both my parents and their neighbor pay for 100 down and around 20 up (atrociously low ik but its really expensive here) but speed tests with different target servers and different providers had a result between 400-800 Mb/s.

That's odd - but it mirrors to some extent on what I've seen with business broadband...

Home Broadband in my market - they sell "up to" uplink/downlink values that are potentially there... speedtest results look really nice, but as @L&LD mentions, pull a longer download, and it should reveal what the endpoint is really provisioned at..

Business Broadband - they sell a minimum committed value...