What's new

How to reset nvram values?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CoachCai

New Around Here
Hello,

I've encountered some issues when I use Asus-Merlin in my AX-86U Pro router.

Here is the situation. My web crashed when I hit http://router.asus.com/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (The other pages are fine.)
1710998089704.jpg

I made some simple debug jobs, and I found the problem is that the nvram value "wan_nat_x" returns a none boolean value. In my case, it is "ma55.255.255.192", a totally wired value, which make the webpage crashed.
1710998131568.png

I tried to use nvram set & nvram commit to reset that value. But every time I refresh the webpage, the value changed back to "ma55.255.255.192". That really makes me crazy. It looks like that the value has been cached somewhere.

Can you help me? I don't want to reset my router totally. Thanks for your attention.

Two options.
Reset with initialize from the GUI.
Hard Factory Reset. Turn off power. Holding the WPS button turn power on. The power LED will come on for a few seconds then go off. Turn off power and release the WPS button. The router should be at factory settings.

Two options.
Reset with initialize from the GUI.
Hard Factory Reset. Turn off power. Holding the WPS button turn power on. The power LED will come on for a few seconds then go off. Turn off power and release the WPS button. The router should be at factory settings.
Thanks for your reply. Is this the only way to reset just one nvram value? And where did the router get the "ma55.255.255.192" value...

I've encountered some issues when I use Asus-Merlin in my AX-86U Pro router.

View attachment 57312
What specific Asus-Merlin firmware are you running on your RT-AX86U Pro?
How is your RT-AX86U Pro configured? As a router or something else? Are you using Dual WAN?
Do you have any add-on scripts installed? If so which one's?

Your screen capture doesn't look like the normal RT-AX86U Pro WAN page on Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2 configured for router mode.
On my RT-AX86U Pro with the WAN Connection Type set to Automatic IP, running nvram get wan_nat_x from SSH returns a value of "1".

Example RT-AX86U Pro, running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2 configured for Router mode, WAN (Advanced_WAN_Content.asp) page attached.

Maybe do a reset or hard factory reset and manually reconfigure (do not import a saved router.cfg file) if there is an issue with one specific GUI page.

Edit to add: Its possible maybe that value (and your different page layout) is region specific.

Attachments

• WAN.jpg
    WAN.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
How is your RT-AX86U Pro configured? As a router or something else? Are you using Dual WAN?

Your screen capture doesn't look like the normal RT-AX86U Pro WAN page on Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2 configured for router mode.
On my RT-AX86U Pro with the WAN Connection Type set to Automatic IP, running nvram get wan_nat_x from SSH returns a value of "1".

Example RT-AX86U Pro, running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2 configured for Router mode, WAN (Advanced_WAN_Content.asp) page attached.

Maybe do a reset or hard factory reset and manually reconfigure (do not import a saved router.cfg file) if there is an issue with one specific GUI page.

Edit to add: Its possible maybe that value (and your different page layout) is region specific.
3.0.0.4.388_23588_koolcenter here is my firmware.

It seems the "http://router.asus.com/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp" page will set my nvram value "wan_nat_x" to "ma55.255.255.192" .....

3.0.0.4.388_23588_koolcenter here is my firmware.
Using that fork (Koolcenter) of the firmware could be your issue. Official Asus-Merlin firmware can be downloaded from the official Asus-Merlin website:

I assume "koolcenter" is China specific fork of what ever firmware it's based on. As such it could have specific code and nvram values specific to that firmware and China region.

PS: You will likely have to take up your issue with the Koolcenter firmware developers if they have their own support forum.

They actually have stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin both modified by Koolshare.