What's new

IGMP snooping is working or not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

Asus RT-AC68U, Merlin 384.18:
1.png
and in the same time:
2.png

How could it be? Is IGMP snooping enabled or not?

The setting on the wireless pages is enabling or disabling that feature of the wireless chips only (wmf_bss_enable).

The setting on the wireless pages is enabling or disabling that feature of the wireless chips only (wmf_bss_enable).
It's not obvious. Does the setting on IPTV page enables/disables that feature for LAN side or generally?
If for LAN side only - why it's not moved to LAN settings?

It's not obvious. Does the setting on IPTV page enables/disables that feature for LAN side or generally?
If for LAN side only - why it's not moved to LAN settings?

I don't know, but I guess that they put it on the IPTV page because it's important that it is set correctly there. I can imagine that someone that had an IPTV service connected to their router but didn't enable IGMP snooping could flood their network with unwanted traffic. But that's just speculation on my part.

EDIT: I have a vague recollection that I saw somewhere that local multicast routing was done automatically by the Broadcom switch rather than the Linux kernel. If true then this setting would only apply to IPTV.

EDIT 2: What the IPTV option appears to be doing (as per its description) is enabling/disabling multicast forwarding between the WAN and the LAN (br0). So this would be something different than local multicast routing which is why it's on the IPTV page.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Because I suspect Wireless settings means nothing when IPTV setting is off.
And once again: it's not obvious and I would like to clarify how does it work by design.
See my updated EDIT in my previous post. The IPTV settings are only applicable to IPTV. The wireless settings are something separate.

See my updated EDIT in my previous post. The IPTV settings are only applicable to IPTV. The wireless settings are something separate.
So some kind of IGMP snooping that does not linked with multicast traffic exists? Very interesting )))

Hope @RMerlin will give some thoughts on this double settings.

So some kind of IGMP snooping that does not linked with multicast traffic exists? Very interesting )))
Sorry, what do you mean? :confused: All these settings are to do with multicast traffic.

Last edited:
Because (shame for me) I don;t know any multicast use rather than media streaming = IPTV.

Because (shame for me) I don;t know any multicast use rather than media streaming = IPTV.
Yep it's mostly media stuff, like IPTV or googlecast. Other things that come to mind are SSDP, mDNS/Bonjour and DHCPv6.