What's new

Improving my Bufferbloat score

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need to upgrade your router to a GT-AX6000 to enjoy your new ISP speeds on your network.

Or, you may try testing a few USB 2.5GbE ethernet adaptors for the WAN (or the LAN), depending on where they might work the best with your specific equipment.

Thanks @L&LD !

The Sagemcom gigabit modem/router is connected directly to the pure fiber line.
It's also got a 10Gbit ethernet port at the back...
I have connected the modem to the ASUS and disabled the wi-fi (it has 2.4, 5 and 6ghz) on it so that the signals won't compete.
As you can see, the AX6000 might be difficult to fit in there so I'm hoping there will be an upright Asus that I can use?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
putting the router inside a metal lined closet is probably not a good idea

Last edited:
Thoughts: The image you've posted is VERY triggering!
1) I really don't like that kind of equipment crammed into such small spaces, especially without cooling
2) I'd guess the WiFi doesn't work well
3) Is the Sagecomm device setup in bridge mode or are you "double NATting"?

If the Sagecomm device is setup in bridge mode I would definitely be looking to move the router out of that box and to a far far better location. I might even be looking to change to a router that doesn't even have WiFi and then hang access points off it!

Hey guys, sorry didn't mean to trigger. I've taken down the picture and will do some cable management this week but I just got the service installed from the fiber provider and haven't yet had time to get around to it.
However:
1- I had thought about getting Ubiquiti equipment and installing a rack etc, but we just don't have the space and with a small 1600 sq ft i figured 2 AX86U would be fine. I needed strong Wi-Fi in the backyard so the second AX86U which sits on the bottom floor near the patio door does the trick
2- The router runs very cool and it's not in a closet (it's a cutout in the wall) and it's not metal lined; it's plastic. It's not ideal but we don't have much space. At some point I realize an improvement would be to create a rack and have all my equipment in the open.
3- The Wi-Fi seems to work very well and worked very well when I had 400/50 (now have 1.5G/1.0) - I just tested one end of the unit (it's long not square) and was getting 607/536 vs 451/55 from the previous ISP. I have attached a photo of the previous ISP's modem
4- I actually don't know how it's set up, it's got a weird "user-friendly" interface but I basically went into the Sagemcom's settings and turned off all the Wi-Fi radios. The AX86U is handling all the routing but is connected through the ethernet to this router as it was to the previous one.
5- My goal is to maximize the responsiveness of the system and since many of my devices are wired (main computer where I game, Apple TV where we do much of our streaming, upcoming XBOX or PS5 that will also be wired), I want to maximize wired performance too. Furthermore, the home is used as an office for 2 people where large file upload and heavy video calls happen also (2 to 300 people meetings with screensharing etc.): the work laptops are on Wi-Fi 6.

Attachments

• Photo 2022-11-08, 5 41 05 AM.jpg
    Photo 2022-11-08, 5 41 05 AM.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo 2022-11-08, 5 41 14 AM.jpg
    Photo 2022-11-08, 5 41 14 AM.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo 2022-11-08, 5 51 58 AM.png
    Photo 2022-11-08, 5 51 58 AM.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Photo 2022-11-08, 5 53 11 AM.png
    Photo 2022-11-08, 5 53 11 AM.png