What's new

Install MoCA on same line as modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheMoth

New Around Here
I am planning to redo my home network and would like to give MoCA a try. Currently, I have coax into the basement from my ISP that goes into a 3 way splitter. One of those lines goes up to the 2nd floor office, where I have my modem and router. I am wondering if I could put a splitter on the outlet in the office, connect 1 end to the modem, then from the router attach the MoCA adapter and into the other half of the splitter. I would then add MoCA adapters to the outlets coming off the other 2 legs of the 3 way splitter in the basement.

I have RG6 cabling and there is no OTA or cable TV on the lines, just the internet connection. The 3 way splitter is an Antronix 5-1002 MHz with a -3.5dB leg (which I think is going to the line in the office but not 100% sure) and 2 -7dB legs. Should I replace that with something with a higher frequency range, and bi-directional? I would assume I'd want a bi-directional 2 way splitter for the office.

Would this set-up work? Would it be a good test or would the throughput be compromised between the 2nd splitter and using the same line for internet in and MoCA out?

Long term I would move the modem and router to the basement but I don't want to do that initially (too much stuff to move, need to clear out what will eventually be a network "closet").

I am planning to redo my home network and would like to give MoCA a try. Currently, I have coax into the basement from my ISP that goes into a 3 way splitter. One of those lines goes up to the 2nd floor office, where I have my modem and router. I am wondering if I could put a splitter on the outlet in the office, connect 1 end to the modem, then from the router attach the MoCA adapter and into the other half of the splitter. I would then add MoCA adapters to the outlets coming off the other 2 legs of the 3 way splitter in the basement.

I have RG6 cabling and there is no OTA or cable TV on the lines, just the internet connection. The 3 way splitter is an Antronix 5-1002 MHz with a -3.5dB leg (which I think is going to the line in the office but not 100% sure) and 2 -7dB legs. Should I replace that with something with a higher frequency range, and bi-directional? I would assume I'd want a bi-directional 2 way splitter for the office.

Would this set-up work? Would it be a good test or would the throughput be compromised between the 2nd splitter and using the same line for internet in and MoCA out?

Long term I would move the modem and router to the basement but I don't want to do that initially (too much stuff to move, need to clear out what will eventually be a network "closet").

It might work depending on how good the splitters are. Normally when using MOCA it is strongly reomended that the splitters be rated to at least 2Ghz. Check your signal levels on the modem before doing anyting, then try with your existing splitters and see what happens to your signal levels and speed. If necessary replace ALL SPLITTERS and test again.

You may have to make your hardware sooner vs latter. Generally recommended that their only be a single splitter before your modem, but if two splitters works for you great, no hurry in relocating modem.

I like to use standard verizon fios labelled moca splitters. Seem to work well.

Thanks Captain. When you say to check signal levels, how would I do that? Is there something in the modem I can look at or will I need a test device? If test device is needed, do you have a recommendation for something inexpensive?

CrystalLattice: I saw the Verizon branded splitters in my initial search, may have to give them a try.

Thanks Captain. When you say to check signal levels, how would I do that? Is there something in the modem I can look at or will I need a test device? If test device is needed, do you have a recommendation for something inexpensive?

CrystalLattice: I saw the Verizon branded splitters in my initial search, may have to give them a try.

You just log into the modem from a device connected to you LAN using what ever the modem's default IP is. On my Arris 6183 modem the IP is 192.168.100.1. No password required. Then there are several pages you can look at including signal levels for each of the 16 down and three up channels.

Depending on your ISP there is a range that the signal levels should be in. You will also see the number of corrected and uncorrected errors by channel since the last reset.

You just log into the modem from a device connected to you LAN using what ever the modem's default IP is. On my Arris 6183 modem the IP is 192.168.100.1. No password required. Then there are several pages you can look at including signal levels for each of the 16 down and three up channels.

Ninja trick... hidden app in many arris/moto modems...

http://192.168.100.1:8080

;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!