What's new

Interesting security comparison

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
This morning, I ran a security scan from within Avast Premium Security. This is what it reported:

Avast Network Scan Results (ASUS).jpg

However, just prior to this, I was alerted to security issues while connected to the router provided by my ISP - a FRITZ!Box 7530 AX, which I had left on test overnight to try to reproduce a problem I had previously reported with my being locked out of the GUI, even when trying to use the default password supplied with the router. This is what I saw when I booted my computer this morning:

Avast Network Scan Results (FRITZ!Box).jpg

Despite disabling all the settings related to access from the internet, Avast was still reporting the second issue in the above screenshot.

So on the face of it, my ASUS router is much more secure that the FRITZ!Box and will therefore remain as my go to device, with the FRITZ!Box just being kept in reserve in case a fault develops with my ASUS device.

What DNS servers are you using ?

Avast are owned by who knows what in America, a company that now owns many antivirus names and ALL of them want you to be running Bitcoin mining sessions .........

I wouldn't allow anything from them on my systems.

What DNS servers are you using ?

Avast are owned by who knows what in America, a company that now owns many antivirus names and ALL of them want you to be running Bitcoin mining sessions .........

I wouldn't allow anything from them on my systems.
My router is set to use Cloudflare as the main DNS resolver, but I have set the router to use AdGuard on my Android mobile phone as I've yet to find a good ad blocker to install on the phone . I have "Real Site" turned off by default in the Avast software to prevent it circumventing my router's setting.

Last edited:
This morning, I ran a security scan from within Avast Premium Security. This is what it reported:

View attachment 52880

However, just prior to this, I was alerted to security issues while connected to the router provided by my ISP - a FRITZ!Box 7530 AX, which I had left on test overnight to try to reproduce a problem I had previously reported with my being locked out of the GUI, even when trying to use the default password supplied with the router. This is what I saw when I booted my computer this morning:

View attachment 52881

Despite disabling all the settings related to access from the internet, Avast was still reporting the second issue in the above screenshot.

So on the face of it, my ASUS router is much more secure that the FRITZ!Box and will therefore remain as my go to device, with the FRITZ!Box just being kept in reserve in case a fault develops with my ASUS device.
Ignore it. It's just a marketing tactic. AVAST is getting worse these days.

Ignore it. It's just a marketing tactic. AVAST is getting worse these days.
Would you mind elaborating on your comment, so that I can fully understand what you are trying to tell me?

View attachment 52880

View attachment 52881

The first one just means it is acting as a DNS proxy, possibly not in a transparent way like Asus does. Second just means the ISP can remotely admin your (their) router which is pretty typical. What ports does it say are open?

Free antivirus has to make their money somehow. I don't really trust them other than the built in Windows one (which is sufficient for many but far from the best out there, pretty comprable to the other free ones though).

The first one just means it is acting as a DNS proxy, possibly not in a transparent way like Asus does. Second just means the ISP can remotely admin your (their) router which is pretty typical. What ports does it say are open?
So what is the malicious remote DNS server being referred to by Avast? The unstealthed port issue with the AVM FRITZ!Box routers is discussed on another forum:
Also, I had gone through and unchecked all the options for remote access, such as by AVM and my ISP. While doing that, I noticed that there was a new user which I didn't recognise, so I deleted that straight away. Despite all this, Avast still reported that the router could be accessed from the internet.

Free antivirus has to make their money somehow. I don't really trust them other than the built in Windows one (which is sufficient for many but far from the best out there, pretty comprable to the other free ones though).
My version of Avast is the paid for (Premium) version and also includes several other modules (VPN, anti-track and clean-up), but I'm not using any of those.

Last edited:
So what is the malicious remote DNS server being referred to by Avast?

Avast is implying that Cloudflare is malicious.

You don't need to pay for antivirus apps , all of their marketing is just that, designed to scare you into parting with your cash. They'll even try to tell you that they scan on iPhones and Mac products which is actually impossible.

Windows Defender hardened with https://github.com/AndyFul/ConfigureDefender is all you should need.
Browsers offer privacy , adblocking and malicious site protection if you want it.

(Defender has a very useful offline scan which runs in Safe Mode )

A monthly online scan with Eset and/or TrendMicro Housecall can be used for a double check of devices and your network.

Last edited:
Avast 🤣🤣🤣

My version of Avast is the paid for (Premium) version and also includes several other modules (VPN, anti-track and clean-up), but I'm not using any of those.

Wow, why pay for Avast??? If you're going to pay, use a real one. If you just want the VPN portion then uninstall everything else, use windows defender and the avast VPN if you must (though who knows what they're collecting and tracking via the VPN).

Wow, why pay for Avast??? If you're going to pay, use a real one. If you just want the VPN portion then uninstall everything else, use windows defender and the avast VPN if you must (though who knows what they're collecting and tracking via the VPN).
Well actually it didn't cost me anything. I did purchase a licence a year or so ago, but I cancelled the purchase because I had problems with it. However, they didn't cancel my activation code, so I can still use it. But given the comments here, I have uninstalled it. I did subsequently try the hardened Windows Defender app, but somehow it messed up Defender and I had to restore my laptop using a Macrium Reflect disc image that had been created earlier in the day. All is good now though.

Update on my last post. It wasn't all "good now" as I stated above. Windows Defender Antivirus refused to start and also Windows updates were no longer working. I tried everything I could think of to rectify the situation, including Tweaking dot com tools, DISM and FixWin11, but nothing has worked. I've had to put Bitdefender back on as a temporary solution.

Last edited:
Macrium is a miracle tool.
I agree, but the oldest backup I could find was about one month ago and even restoring from that has not solved my issue (I thought it had, but the problem happened again shortly afterwards).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!