What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skimmin through this thread & feeling bad for those wasting copious amounts of time & growing frustrated but I just have to ask...
-Did those of you who experienced these issues FIRST try the firmware (with as default of settings as possible) + NO USB Stick or Drive plugged-into the router???
-If you've added a USB-device & a script, or two, or perhaps several...
Perhaps verify that...
Administration > System > USB Setting:Enable HDD Hibernation:No
I say this because... The more processes & scripts running via USB, the more likely that USB-hibernating could cause problems.
I support all kinds of technology within healthcare & we've seen sleeping USB-devices cause us grief.
Well, I'm less than 5 hours into a totally-clean install, no scripts installed, no USB devices connected and guess what, a disconnection on both Wi-Fi bands. I'm uploading the system log for further analysis. Dirty downgrade needed now, unfortunately.

Here's the log file (I thought), but even that's stopped working again. I'll try zipping it to see if that works. Nope - it won't let me upload a zip file.

Let's try this then: I've uploaded the system log to my dropbox account.

Hmmmm perhaps someone else can better understand your logs... I'm outta my expertise
+ I'm actually thinking, perhaps the RT-AX88U just doesn't function "properly" the newer WiFi drivers.
Unfortunately though... your only hope there would likely be... Broadcom or Asus, Sorry.

One other thought... did you try reducing TX power for both radios under Wifi Professional tab?
Perhaps it's a thermal issue causing your wifi to drop & maybe lowering the Tx power to (say half) could perhaps keep it from shutting down?
Sometimes with electronics... as things heat-up, the electronics act-up, misbehave, & even shutdown.
Good luck

Hmmmm perhaps someone else can better understand your logs... I'm outta my expertise
+ I'm actually thinking, perhaps the RT-AX88U just doesn't function "properly" the newer WiFi drivers.
Unfortunately though... your only hope there would likely be... Broadcom or Asus, Sorry.

One other thought... did you try reducing TX power for both radios under Wifi Professional tab?
Perhaps it's a thermal issue causing your wifi to drop & maybe lowering the Tx power to (say half) could perhaps keep it from shutting down?
Sometimes with electronics... as things heat-up, the electronics act-up, misbehave, & even shutdown.
Good luck
I'll have to stay with build 386.5_2 until or unless this problem is resolved with the new firmware. My router does run pretty cool as it's wall mounted at the top of the stairs, so temperature is not an issue, even in the current UK heatwave, plus if it were an overheating problem, that would surely be a problem whatever build of firmware was installed.
Router Temperatures.jpg

I'll have to stay with build 386.5_2 until or unless this problem is resolved with the new firmware. My router does run pretty cool as it's wall mounted at the top of the stairs, so temperature is not an issue, even in the current UK heatwave, plus if it were an overheating problem, that would surely be a problem whatever build of firmware was installed.
View attachment 42587
I didn't ONLY mean a thermally controlled disconnect of monitored RADIO:2.4, RADIO:5, nor CPU...
I meant thermally stressed electronic components as in Hardware actually Going Bad. Like a weakened power-supply, not quite putting out enough current, or slightly pulsed intermittent power.
But as you just said... if it were hardware, it should "likely" be the same on either firmware.
However, as there were changes to the wifi drivers... it's possible that within the closed source code... certain thresholds or limits were changed... resulting in your disconnects.
I suggested turning down your Tx power ever so slightly... To give your router & power-supply a chance to run slightly cooler.
With previous changes to firmware certain people were loosing their minds as they watched their internal temperatures climb several degrees.
Obviously the software & hardware have to interact with each other, & there are automatic routines written into code that perform certain functions when certain values are seen.
It might not be thermal, but perhaps when the decibels hit a certain number... disconnection.
Anyways it's complicated but with wireless transmission... signal-strength, & electrical power are closely correlated.
+
Where there is power... there is heat.
Anyways, Good-luck to you

@TheLyppardMan It suddenly occurred to me... I hope you weren't trying to use 160MHz & DFS with 386.7 as doing so seems to be a problem on many routers.
Most people are configuring no higher than 80MHz, to prevent the 5G from disconnecting/reconnecting... when the router thinks it sees radar activity.

I am experiencing the same issue on my AX88U, Random disconnects of wifi since upgrading to 386.7. Hardwired devices are fine but just random disconnects of the wifi.

View attachment 42587
My unit in winter sits @ 68 - 70°.
In summer here (Australia), 80°. So I don’t think heat is your issue.
Im using 80mhz on the 5ghz channel, 386.7_1 still travelling well……

Skimmin through this thread & feeling bad for those wasting copious amounts of time & growing frustrated but I just have to ask...
-Did those of you who experienced these issues FIRST try the firmware (with as default of settings as possible) + NO USB Stick or Drive plugged-into the router???
-If you've added a USB-device & a script, or two, or perhaps several...
Perhaps verify that...
Administration > System > USB Setting:Enable HDD Hibernation:No
I say this because... The more processes & scripts running via USB, the more likely that USB-hibernating could cause problems.
I support all kinds of technology within healthcare & we've seen sleeping USB-devices cause us grief.
Nice catch. HDD hibernation disabled here.

For your information, I use the automatic default channels for 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz wifi (no 160 Mhz) and as I've been saying since the beginning of this post, no worries about instability with the router and wifi for over 16 days now.

@TheLyppardMan It suddenly occurred to me... I hope you weren't trying to use 160MHz & DFS with 386.7 as doing so seems to be a problem on many routers.
Most people are configuring no higher than 80MHz, to prevent the 5G from disconnecting/reconnecting... when the router thinks it sees radar activity.
My 5G band is manually set to channel 44 80MHz and my 2.4G band is set to channel 11 20MHz and has been that way for a very long time.

RT-AC88U has dropouts on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
If I use smart connect (Both bands in 1), then I get dropouts all the time.
The only stable connection is cable. (Current Version : 386.7)

It seems that wifi crash when do rekey. Could you try setup these commands through SSH to disable rekey and test wifi stability?

Code:
nvram set wl_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl0.1_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl0.2_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl0.3_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl1_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl1.1_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl1.2_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram set wl1.3_wpa_gtk_rekey=0
nvram commit
reboot

I can't do it at the moment as I am too busy and I also have a major problem with a new laptop that I've got to try to resolve (failed redeploy using Macrium Reflect has left the computer without an operating system and it now just goes to a BSOD every time I switch it on).

Having the same drop-outs on my AX88U. My AX11000 is fine though.

I have sporadic drops that affect only a very limited number of clients at a time. For example, my work laptop dropped after 13 hours post reboot during a meeting for ~1 minute(logs started to go crazy at that point) but my other laptop that was next to me at the time didn't drop or any Google speakers I have worked fine. But then again, I've had that same laptop that stayed working drop later on. For me, it's not a specific client that is dropping, it's random

Has anyone seen this issue on official Asus pages? I hope that they're aware about this annoying wifi driver bug...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!