What's new

Internet Drops on AC-3100 With Thermaltake BlacX Duet ST0015

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gambinesh

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

I have a AC-3100 and I am experiencing a very strange issue. I have a Thermaltake BlacX Duet ST0015 (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001574) plugged into the USB 3.0 (I have tried 2.0 with same results) of the router and two WD 1TB 2.5 drives installed in it. I am able to set up all of the drive sharing settings and everything works great at first. However, I get frequent internet dropouts with the configuration. The drop outs can be every minute or every hour. I notice it most when I play games online. ping is great one moment and then shoots up randomly until im forced to exit. 30 - 60 seconds later, the internet is back and working fine. The sys log says something like WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly every time the connection drops.

I first encountered this 2 months ago. My first step was to call ASUS. After a bunch of basic TS crap, the support person had me roll my firmware back to 3.0.0.4.380_858. I thought that this was a lame idea but did this to humor him. To my surprise, however, I have been running on this firmware ever since with 0 issues! So Last month I decided to experiment. I installed the latest (at the time) version of Merlins firmware. The issues immediately came back! So, I did all of the work to downgrade back to 3.0.0.4.380_858.

I have worked with Asus to narrow down the issue. We disabled everything we could think of and started adding new things in 3 day intervals. We finally narrowed down that with the latest ASUS firmware installed, everything is fine with out the Thermaltake. I plug it in, problems occur within the hour. I unplug again, everything is good. This behavior is the same on the most recent build of Merlin.

So I have deduced that there is something that was changed after 3.0.0.4.380_858 that is causing issues with the Thermaltake product. I do code a lot for work but I don't have much experience with firmware or networking products so hunting the change down myself was a bust. lol. I spoke to Asus today (2 months after reporting the issue) to see if they were working on the bug and planning to release new firmware. They said that they were looking at it but would not provide any type of release time frame.

So I thought maybe I would ask some experts rather then tier 1 support. Do you guys have any ideas around this issue? Is this something that Merlin may be interested in fixing in his version of the firmware?

p.s. I dont have the new firmware installed so I cant provide logs at this point because I did not think to save them when I was working with ASUS. However, if someone is interested in working with me on this, I will upgrade my firmware to provide full logs.

Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!