What's new

Interrupted connections on ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just wanted to chime in to say that I, too, was having intermittent (and very difficult to troubleshoot) connectivity issues—in my case, I have a local server I was SSHing into that kept freezing—that were resolved by reverting to FW v42905. I wish there was more transparency in what changed with the newer versions.

+1
Thanks!

I have a ticket opened since April 2021 and they finally told me to ask for a hardware replacement (that didn't change anything to the lost of connection on the wireless backhaul. The wired backhaul was working nice (but that was not the aim of the purchase of a XT8 pack.
I will tell ASUS support (so efficients...) that the solution is on the web. And the problem is know versions ago.

Downgrading to FW v42905 (70+Mb sized) was the solution for us, thanks to that topic. (perhaps this needs to be pinned on the forum.

+1
Thanks!

I have a ticket opened since April 2021 and they finally told me to ask for a hardware replacement (that didn't change anything to the lost of connection on the wireless backhaul. The wired backhaul was working nice (but that was not the aim of the purchase of a XT8 pack.
I will tell ASUS support (so efficients...) that the solution is on the web. And the problem is know versions ago.

Downgrading to FW v42905 (70+Mb sized) was the solution for us, thanks to that topic. (perhaps this needs to be pinned on the forum.
is it got big stability if i downgrade to 42905 if i just use it for nodes only.im using ax11000 with 2 xt8 as nodes.recently i got conection issue when device connected to xt8 nodes.5-1ghz always freeze and missing but not with 2.4ghz.fyi im on their latest fw.

Having the same issues on 43181. Was about to do the downgrade when 45898 rolled out. Will try that out (change log states “system stability”) but not beyond the downgrade option.

That last 45898 firmware still has 55 MB size :confused:
I am rock solid on 42095 for a couple of months since downgrading, and this time I definitely won't rush to update it until stability has been tested aka bulletproof.

Last edited:
Having the same issues on 43181. Was about to do the downgrade when 45898 rolled out. Will try that out (change log states “system stability”) but not beyond the downgrade option.
Right so, my main issue seems to be with a chromecast and I’m still having issues with that. I’m not entirely convinced that it’s a network issue, as the phones seem to stay connected. But I’m only 8 hours into the new firmware and still need to try some more movement around the house/ in//out of network range to determine if the phone connection issue is resolved, and I just need to reinstall my media server.
Mtf. Too many variables.

so, after a week on the new firmware, the connection seems stable enough for browsing, and Netflix, but not for Plex. Seems the devices would kick every 10-30 min and cause havoc with the server. Thought about the downgrade, but it seems I can hardwire the nodes, which should be a lot more stable.

EDIT: after a week of hardline I've had no further problems. seems to be directly related to the 5Ghz backhaul stability.

Last edited:
so, after a week on the new firmware, the connection seems stable enough for browsing, and Netflix, but not for Plex. Seems the devices would kick every 10-30 min and cause havoc with the server. Thought about the downgrade, but it seems I can hardwire the nodes, which should be a lot more stable.
This was my main reason for downgrading to 42095. I can't watch anything long enough on Plex without interruptions and error messages.
Thanks for your report, I won't even try to update to this version!

Hm it's a shame to hear this. Really disappointing that I went against my better idea of buying, well, real wireless access points and bought the XT8 instead, after knowing 2 people that have no issues with them.

Well, guess it's time to wait for the next update to come out and see what happens.

Shame we can't get merlin or something similar.

I am currently on Version 3.0.0.4.386.45375
Do I need to do a hard reset to get back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 or can I just manually reinstall this firmware update from my files?
I've had so many problems since all these recent updates.
I want to avoid hard reset as I have so many smart connections on the router.
Can I just manually go back to the March update from the current October update?
Has anyone tried this with success?

Last edited:
Yes, you can. It's called a dirty downgrade.

No, I don't recommend using old firmware at all. I suggest you fix the issues in your environment (others are using this new firmware without issues).

If you search, many others not only have tried it, but they also recommend it too. YMMV.

I ran into something like this with the latest firmware. I would drop a bunch of packets from my laptop and then it would randomly connect back up (my laptop looked like it was connected to wireless).

Rolled back to 42095 also

I ran into something like this with the latest firmware. I would drop a bunch of packets from my laptop and then it would randomly connect back up (my laptop looked like it was connected to wireless).

Rolled back to 42095 also
Do you do it easily or hard reset?

I just can't understand why I kept losing connection to my small aerial nest camera when everything else connects fine.
It all started after I installed the April and May firmware updates. The March update was the best and I knew I should never have done anymore firmware updates, but I never knew that it would cause this much problem. Google says to move the camera closer to the router, it's sitting underneath the camera with one wall away. How close has it got to be, when I have a good connection to the router in my shed, which is a room and two walls away.

As I said, I've now got that camera on another router which is further away than the asus is.

Now that router is starting to lose connection with it. I can't change the camera as it's not in an assessable position.

Why these small aerial cameras lose wifi and everything else is fine and dandy is beyond me. I never had a problem with it until after the April update, which is why I thought just going back to the old firmware would be better than going through the hard reset and searching for an answer. I am not very tech savvy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!