What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Googe @ all

So, I have re written a big portion of the shortcut this evening. These are some of the things coming. :)
Since this has grown, immensely I think a download, would be required now with the addition of all the pieces. A link to come, when I put the finishing touches on the shortcut.

Notes throughout the shortcut, on what each action does.
3 options when running the shortcut.

BSSID - display only
SSID, BSSID via notification. w/ know AP name, if you manually edited the list to include it.

Log
Uses iCloud Drive or Dropbox.
1. default - Saves a file named NetworkCheck.txt in the Shortcuts folder in iCloud Drive.
2. Can be configured differently as you choose, name, cloud service etc.
3. include the iOS devices physical location, (street portion only by default), useful if you admin multiple locations.

4. If you don't like specific portions of the logging like time stamps, you can remove them or the address portion.
* As you can tell I am traveling this evening, as evidence by my example logging below. :)

Code:
Example Log :

xxxx = street number
xxxxxx = street xx:xx:xx:xx

xxxx xxxxxx, SleepInn, 60:d0:xx:xx:xx:xx @ Apr 7, 2019 at 21:44:24 EDT
Notes : Hotel lobby
----------
xxxx xxxxxx, SleepInn, 60:d0:xx:xx:xx:xx @ Apr 7, 2019 at 21:45:06 EDT
Notes : Room 412
----------
xxxx xxxxxx, SleepInn, 60:d0:xx:xx:xx:xx @ Apr 7, 2019 at 21:45:30 EDT
Notes : Near pool
----------
xxxx xxxxxx, SleepInn, 60:d0:xx:xx:xx:xx @ Apr 7, 2019 at 21:48:41 EDT
Restart initiated.
Notes:
----------

Commands:
Restart of the AP
* Requires you to configure your AP, Node for ssh access.
** Requires password authentication to be enabled.

Additional commands could be added later on.

@ Anyone interested in this topic.

Apple replied a few days ago that the "MAC address issues" aka "leading zero" should have been fixed during the 12.2 beta. I however was unable to test it, as I have no devices with a leading zero.

Since 12.2 has now been released, does anyone with the issues care to check, if it still exists. So that I can make the bug report as resolved.

Thx

Tested with 12.3 beta and the dictionary matches with a leading zero entered. The notification output strips the zero, however.

Sorry folks, for the delay on the redo. I wanted to give you all an update on the progress.

Ive ended up re arranging way, way, more inside the shortcut than I initially thought. I ended up chasing my tail looking for a gremlin in the works. I never could find it till I got home last night. That let me actually trouble shoot, one of the dictionary look ups.

Change log

Name:
  • Changed name to "NetworkCheck" - I felt it provides a better idea of what your looking to accomplish vs simply the BSSID

Added:
  • Can enable wifi, if it was disabled.
  • Copy BSSID to clipboard, (local copy no syncing, and auto removal) automatically copied, primarily for use in the shortcut dictionary fields.
  • credits/disclaimer section.
  • Log the BSSID etc, * if you wish to log more information. A user notes section is provided.
  • Log resets, incase you like clean logs.
  1. Date
  2. SSID
  3. BSSID
  4. Defined AP name, if set
  5. Notes section.
  6. Device name - Track iOS device performing the task.
  • Preview/view logs inside the shortcut. No need to open the files app.
Bug fix:
  • More of a workaround. The vibrate option was placed in an if block. That block looks for the name iPad and if found disallows the vibrate option. Which is not iPad compatible. If iPhone is found, then it allows the vibrate option, because it is iPhone compatible.
  • I found the above vibrate option would cause the shortcut to crash on my iPad, if not done this way. Looks like another bug report to Apple.
  • The work around section is fully editable and the name can be changed, amended for users whom don't use iPad or iPhone as part of the device names.
Merged:
  • My separate BSSID and Reboot shortcuts.
Removed features:
  • Physical Location : Street
* I felt that most user's would not need this and if so we could look at it again as needed. For now, I simply decided that having a log file of the location even if its in the individual end users iCloud Drive is something I didn't want logged.
As an interim, I would suggest naming the AP's something distinctive within the shortcut for each place, home etc.
For advanced users they can always re add this feature.

• Dropbox use is still an option for advanced users, however for simplification, initial setup is for use with iCloud Drive.

Temporarily removed:
  • Import questions, I wanted to give them more attention.
  • Shortcut will need to be directly edited.
  • With the import questions removed, appropriate locations within the shortcut are using placeholders.

Download Link:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9bb81edb8ba44608906e0737922c281c

I hope I have fixed all the issues, etc.

Last edited: