What's new

iPhone Mu Mimo support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

airlung

Regular Contributor
Do iPhones 12 and up support mu mimo. Did a lot of digging around some says they do and some says they doesn’t

Apple supports what Apple supports.

My best guess (again, because I don't have them) is they don't. Based on others experiences and observations.

Thx, under the Asus routerwireless system log, my 2 iPhone 14 connected indicates “no” under STBC and MUBF, what this means? Thx so much

Attachments

• DE03ED00-7FB6-4E2F-9326-003159730358.jpeg
    DE03ED00-7FB6-4E2F-9326-003159730358.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 172
Thx, under the Asus routerwireless system log, my 2 iPhone 14 connected indicates “no” under STBC and MUBF, what this means? Thx so much

To answer your question..

STBC - space time block codes - it's a MIMO related error correction mechanism, it's an optional item in 802.11
MBUF - memory buffers, in the broadcom code, it's for power saving mode and fragmented packets

Not much to worry about here..

According to this pretty official-looking documentation, all current iPhone models support 2-stream MIMO. It's not very clear to me whether MU-MIMO has additional demands on the STA beyond plain MIMO, or if it's just an AP-side feature.

MU requires device support - when the device attaches to a MU capable AP, it will be assigned an AID that indicates it could be a MU group candidate.

Thx all, so does the iPhone support explicit beamforming? Seems related to Mu mimo… thx

Explicit Beamforming is part of 802.11ac/11ax - so yes they do.

As mentioned above, no support for MU-MIMO

What is the point of these questions?

This pdf stated that iPhone supports DL Mu Mimo but not UL Mu Mimo, this stuff is so complicated

Attachments

• A4F9064F-3ACB-45FA-A1AC-3B60E1280211.jpeg
    A4F9064F-3ACB-45FA-A1AC-3B60E1280211.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 7409C444-B4BA-44DE-B41A-7993F918D54E.jpeg
    7409C444-B4BA-44DE-B41A-7993F918D54E.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 179
This pdf stated that iPhone supports DL Mu Mimo but not UL Mu Mimo, this stuff is so complicated

Maybe for HE mode (11ax), I know for VHT (11ac) it does not.

When I took a look at a wireless PCAP - not clear if MU is fully supported or not on the Association (this is the feature negotiation between the AP and the client).

This was on both ath11k and mt76 based AP's - the ath11k is qsdk based (qualcomm drivers/firmware), and the mt76 was on openwrt with the mediatek opensource drivers...

Anyways, MU is fairly harmless, and the only time I've seen it actually used is in carefully scripted scenarios on the lab bench, and even there, it's hard to trigger.