What's new

iPhone offer privacy? No, never.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Not a lie - it was a bug, and one discovered by someone thinking outside of the box.

The perm MAC addr is burned into the chip, the temp/random MAC addr's are SW generated.

While non-trivial, it is possible to get a web browser to disclose the MAC addr of the device connecting to the server...

The issue here is that the browser returned the real MAC, not the MAC address in use (temp/random if the feature was enabled)

low-level network code is always a challenge to keep straight

Not a lie - it was a bug, and one discovered by someone thinking outside of the box.

The perm MAC addr is burned into the chip, the temp/random MAC addr's are SW generated.

While non-trivial, it is possible to get a web browser to disclose the MAC addr of the device connecting to the server...

The issue here is that the browser returned the real MAC, not the MAC address in use (temp/random if the feature was enabled)

low-level network code is always a challenge to keep straight

Oof!

The issue isn't that the browser returned the real MAC address. The issue is that it could.

Can't see this as another example of being 'sold' one thing when the truth is the opposite.

Just like commercial/single-ended VPNs keep you secure/private too. Yeah right.

If I build/sell a promise on a lie, and eventually get caught, do I say it is the fault of the person/software that discovered it? Hardly.

While non-trivial to do, I'm sure Apple ran with the chance that it wouldn't be discovered, rather than believe they made an 'honest' mistake.

If millions and billions are at stake, the truth sides with the money. Always.

The issue isn't that the browser returned the real MAC address. The issue is that it could.

Could and does - like I mentioned - it was a bug on the client side...

You might be more concerned about why this issue is - Apple indicated MAC privacy, that's a given, and a bug was found and fixed...

What about the other devices in the field - Safari is WebKit, just like Chrome...

Exploits like this - they are unfortunately cross-vendor....

Thanks for letting me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Safari.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!