What's new

Is a crappy router causing Skype problems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

acuenca

New Around Here
Hello,

You should follow these articles
if:
- you are saddled with a crappy all-in-one locked-down "wireless modem/gateway" from your ISP
I've a all in one "wireless/modem/gateway" : CVG834G. But is it crapy? Should I bridge it and acquire a router.
Lot of peoples are complaining about my "Skype connection quality. Audio/video they receive from me isn't good...
speedtest.net measures : ping : 25ms D:29.06Mbps/U:0.97Mbps which is good.

My ISP is supposed to deliver a 30M/1M service so it seems to me my CVG834G throughput is perfect? Could this modem/router be the cause of my issues anyway?
If so, any advices on which router could do the trick?

Thanks in advance

I've a all in one "wireless/modem/gateway" : CVG834G. But is it crapy? Should I bridge it and acquire a router.

It depends how it's failing you. Usually the problem with combo devices is the wireless isn't good, you have limited (or no) controls with it or it locks up frequently, requiring a reset. It doesn't look like you have any of those problems.

Lot of peoples are complaining about my "Skype connection quality. Audio/video they receive from me isn't good...
speedtest.net measures : ping : 25ms D:29.06Mbps/U:0.97Mbps which is good.

Good but good enough for Skype? Your download is fine, it's your upload which may be a bit light:

http://www.einternetspeedometer.com/index.php/internet-speed-requirements-for-skype/

You won't be able to do HD video calling (no big deal) and while you should be able to do everything else listed, you won't have much upload to spare. If there's another application on your computer requiring upload or if you have anything else on your network that's uploading you could easily choke your upload.

This is where a good router with QoS might help - it can reserve a certain amount of bandwidth just for Skype and limit anything else.

Thanks for the answer, so sounds like my router isn't responsible for my Skype issues...
But actually, I could make very good use of some QoS support :

I'm backing up some data on the cloud. When I had big files, it (qsync) can take up all my upload bandwidth for weeks. So I managed to limit the upload rate to 50Kbs. Unfortunatly, this solution is far from perfect.

Are there some router able to allow rsync to run on all the "remaining" bandwidth?
Without assigning any numbers, I would like for instance skype to take as much bandwidth at it asks. All other applications would take the remaining bandwidth.
And last, rsync would use the bandwidth no other application requests?

Thanks for your time.

I should preface this by saying I don't use QoS so I don't have any experience with it. I'm going by what I read. Also, of course, every router's implementation is different. You might do better by starting a separate thread, perhaps in the Other Discussions subforum.

Hopefully some QoS expert chimes in here before I make a complete fool of myself. ;)

I'm backing up some data on the cloud. When I had big files, it (qsync) can take up all my upload bandwidth for weeks.

Well that could definitely be your problem.

So I managed to limit the upload rate to 50Kbs. Unfortunatly, this solution is far from perfect.

Are there some router able to allow rsync to run on all the "remaining" bandwidth?
Without assigning any numbers, I would like for instance skype to take as much bandwidth at it asks. All other applications would take the remaining bandwidth.
And last, rsync would use the bandwidth no other application requests

From what I've read, QoS doesn't work like that. You assign protocols/applications as high priority - sometimes you're able to reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for those applications, sometimes you're only able to set them to high priority. QoS then ensures the high priority applications will get all the bandwidth they need (or however much you've allocated), everything else gets the remainder.

If the router even recognizes rsync as a protocol or application it should be set to low priority, but as long as you explicitly list Skype as high priority, Skype will get the bandwidth first.

My Skype issue can't be related to qsync. I have this issue even when I ensure that the whole bandwidth is available for Skype.
Well I still have a little hope that changing my router would miraculously fix the issue.
Furthermore, you gave me a good reason to buy one : QoS =P

So, I'm going to do a little more research on QoS before posting a new thread on the forum you pointed.

Thanks again for you time and help;

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!