What's new

Is anyone getting good connection rates and transfer rates with an AC 66 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerry6

Very Senior Member
I got a connection rate og between 90 mbps and 180 mbps on my AC Client 80 - 160 on my N client with the AC 66 , with my N 66 I'm getting 270- 300 mbps on the AC client and 180 - 243 on my N clients .
Defective unit or is this normal . All clients and routers are in the exact same place when testing .
Or am I being unrealistic expecting to much from the AC 66 , wanting it to at least match the N 66 in performance .

All on 5.0 radio 2.4 not used . Inssider AC 66 74-82 db N 66 63-68 DB
Another thing , not able to stream video on AC , constant buffering .

Last edited:
I have pretty much the same issue. Just bought an AC66 to replace an Engenius ECB9500 N300 AP and where I used to get mostly 300mbs connection rates now with AC66 the best I get is 144mbs. Same location and same 2.4 channel.

5Ghz is no better using a Edimax 1200AC USB adapter.

I also have a AC56 that I basically use as a router and that wasn't any better for wireless. Both the AC66 and AC56 have the latest stock firmware.

Right now I am disillusioned with ASUS. I find it hard to believe my old N300 AP's are providing better throughput than these new AC units.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: The AC66 was just purchased from Newegg and it was a factory refurb. The AC56 was NIB last week.

I got a connection rate og between 90 mbps and 180 mbps on my AC Client 80 - 160 on my N client with the AC 66 , with my N 66 I'm getting 270- 300 mbps on the AC client and 180 - 243 on my N clients .
Defective unit or is this normal . All clients and routers are in the exact same place when testing .
Or am I being unrealistic expecting to much from the AC 66 , wanting it to at least match the N 66 in performance .

All on 5.0 radio 2.4 not used . Inssider AC 66 74-82 db N 66 63-68 DB
Another thing , not able to stream video on AC , constant buffering .

No love here either, It will work but can be very finicky .
You can play with whatever bandwidths and channels makes no matters
Merlins FW helped lots, much better than Asus
But the RT-AC66U is no great wonder really
I actually tried the '68 and it was worse.

I loaded the Merlin firmware on my AC66 and forced the 2.4 channel to 40mHz and now I'm getting 300mbs on my N clients.

I'm also getting 887 connects on my AC1200 adapters now. I had to force the 80mHz channel for that though.

It seems the AC66 doesn't like fat channels in auto mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!