What's new

Is Asus VPN even secure?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pptp MS-CHAP v2 isn't that hard to crack, and with today's tech it will still take a day to crack the 72 quadrillion possible DES keys. If someone is willing to wait that long to spy on you - you are most Likely a wanted man.

https://www.cloudcracker.com/blog/2012/07/29/cracking-ms-chap-v2/

I'm seeing that MS-CHAP-V2 isn't even secure. I care more about allowing VPN access to my local network than about my actual encrypted traffic.

Any thoughts? I just think it's insane to punch a huge hole in your secure router just because it's easily set up. There must be better alternatives.

Does Merlin's firmware improve the VPN security?

My firmware provides OpenVPN, which is generally considered very secure.

My firmware provides OpenVPN, which is generally considered very secure.

When is Asus sending you your first check? Thanks a lot I was really bummed when I saw the vpn wasn't secure.

Sabot, I'm not paranoid as much as realistic about the speed of development of hacking techniques. What's 72hrs today is 72s tomorrow. The risk benefit didn't make sense to my peace of mind. You're right in general of course.

Vpn

Why don't you do some reading and see what the differences in VPNs are before making comments.

PPTP's weakness has been known for a long time. OpenVPN and LPTP were developed to overcome these weaknesses.

The problem with using OpenVPN is that it puts a heavier load on the router's processor to handle the encryption. Therefore until routers with more powerful processors and more memory came along most people tried to avoid running OpenVPN on a router because of the loss of upload and download speeds.

I run OpenVPN on a Linksys E3000 set up as an AP behind my ASUS. To further improve my throughput I have a VPN accelerator attached to the E3000 to handle the VPN processing which it does quite well because among other things it has 2 Gigs of memory.

With this setup I get almost the same throughput as if I were running the VPN on my PC which has lots of memory and a reasonably fast Core i5 processor.

If you are worried about security run OpenVPN. It is a bit more complicated to set up than PPTP which is another reason most people settle for PPTP.