What's new

Is my older AC router failing? Or poor config? Need some help/advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MMcCraryNJ

New Around Here
Hey all,

New member here, currently running into some WiFi issues in my home. I need some advice as to whether or not this is a hardware-is-failing issue, a too-many-clients-for-my-old-router issue, or a software configuration issue.

To start, I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 that I purchased in December of 2013. It is on the latest firmware available according to the web interface, V1.0.9.88_10.2.88. This is paired to Comcast Gigabit service, which provides 985/52 as measured when directly connected via LAN cable to an Arris SB8200, which I own. On wired LAN, I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, and an Apple TV 4K. Currently one open LAN port which I plan on using for an unmanaged gigabit switch so I can connect both my MacBook Pro and an unboxed Phillips Hue hub.

I start running into issues when one of two situations occur: when the number of wireless connections exceeds a certain number, around 10 or 11 clients of mixed 2.4/5.0 connections, or when 2 or more clients start utilizing a not-insignificant amount of bandwidth (an iPhone starts updating apps in the background, a smart speaker receives a command to play a track, etc). When these issues occur, bandwidth to all devices stops, and clients may become temporarily disconnected. Sometimes, the router will reset itself, other times I manually unplug/replug it. Resets do not always occur though, as sometimes, once the offending client quits trying to commit the offense, the network will return to a working state.

One sure-fire event that will always drop my connections and interrupt streaming is when a wireless client (such as an iPhone) leaves the network, such as when a family member leaves the house. I'm assuming that when this happens, the router is overpowering itself attempting to "hold on" to that connection as it gets further and further away. Another way to trigger the issue is to have a smart speaker (I have three Apple HomePods around the house) interact with the network in some way (stream a song, request the news or a podcast, or query an internet search), while a Smart TV is wirelessly streaming YouTube TV.

What makes me think that this may be a sign the router is failing or faulty in some way is that when this occurs, I start to hear what sounds like capacitor noise coming from the router. It "screeches" and "scratches" about. I will also say that this router has always had a little bit of internal noise about it, even if wired clients are downloading a file or otherwise utilizing bandwidth. However, when the trigger event happens and the network starts stalling out, it becomes louder and more pronounced.

My general configuration with the firmware is as follows: Separate SSIDs for 2.4/5.0 bands (Smart Connect feature turned off), QoS turned on and managed manually by MAC addresses (gaming consoles, streaming devices, and certain computers and phones given highest priority, while things like the printer, Wemo plug, etc are given lowest, and other devices falling into Normal and High as applicable), WMM turned on for both bands, 1500 MTU, IPv4 and IPv6 enabled, UPnP enabled. All advanced settings are left defaulted.

I would consider myself not very well-versed in diagnosing network issues or choosing the best settings for my situation, so I'm looking for some advice here. Is there anything I can do to make my current router work better for my situation? Or am I just trying to connect too many clients at once for my router to handle? Or, does it sound like there's a potential hardware issue indicating that I should go grab another more recent router?

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Disable QoS. It’s not really needed for your connection speed at all. Plus is a hog resource wise especially since you have fast download. I’d be surprised if you got more than half of your download speed on that router with qos turned on.

2. The “screeching” sound your hearing is normal on the R7000. Almost all of them do it. Mine brand New Years ago did it. Just some are more sensitive to the noise. Load/WiFi causes the noise. I think my USG I had did the same noise as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disable QoS. It’s not really needed for your connection speed at all. Plus is a hog resource wise especially since you have fast download. I’d be surprised if you got more than half of your download speed on that router with qos turned on.

2. The “screeching” sound your hearing is normal on the R7000. Almost all of them do it. Mine brand New Years ago did it. Just some are more sensitive to the noise. Load/WiFi causes the noise. I think my USG I had did the same noise as well

Thank you for your advice!

The funny thing is, I have always worked with QoS disabled, and when attempting to diagnose this issue, an IT friend of mine recommended it be turned on and manually set up by MAC address in priority-order. So these issues were occurring with QoS both enabled and disabled.

My understanding of QoS is that it limits the bandwidth of connected clients to the router so that the router can work more efficiently with multiple clients connected at once, rather than limiting the speed of the internet connection itself. Is this an incorrect understanding?

Also, I have never attempted to have the Smart Connect feature on, where both router bands become one SSID and the router intelligently places clients among them. Could this be a potential help if I were to set it up?

Thank you again!

Thank you for your advice!

The funny thing is, I have always worked with QoS disabled, and when attempting to diagnose this issue, an IT friend of mine recommended it be turned on and manually set up by MAC address in priority-order. So these issues were occurring with QoS both enabled and disabled.

My understanding of QoS is that it limits the bandwidth of connected clients to the router so that the router can work more efficiently with multiple clients connected at once, rather than limiting the speed of the internet connection itself. Is this an incorrect understanding?

Also, I have never attempted to have the Smart Connect feature on, where both router bands become one SSID and the router intelligently places clients among them. Could this be a potential help if I were to set it up?

Thank you again!

In troubleshooting enabling QoS could bring issues not fix them. Disabling would be the first thing to do when troubleshooting. And in many cases those with faster connections like yours actually cripple performance and do more bad than good. Especially with an R7000.

Are you running the latest firmware? I think it was the R7000 that’s been having firmware issues but generally with speed, not sure about the issue your having.

It probably wouldn’t help enabling this. But it’s certainly not going to hurt to try.

It wouldn’t hurt to factory reset and set everything back up and see if that helps that would be the first thing to do with troubleshooting. But if all settings being factory default and it still happens would certainly look into getting a new router.

all netgears now phone home with your personal data and sell it. synology is cheapest consumer router that doesn't. you can't allow netgear, and many 0thers to touch your wan. did you ever wonder why your wife knows what or who you last looked up? this is real, sorry!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!