What's new

Is the RT-AX86U Mature & Free of Systemic Bugs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maximus0636

New Around Here
Situation:
I have an old ASUS RT-N66U for my home network.
I want to upgrade due to working from home, probably to the AC86U, or AX86U.
For future-proofing purposes, I think the AX86U is probably better, even though I have zero WiFi-6 devices right now.

Questions:
Is the AX86U actually mature enough to be generally problem-free?
Should I just stick with a 2020 build of the RT-AC86U to avoid problems associated with a relatively new and immature AX86U product?

I keep seeing threads on here from people with throughput problems, and other miscellaneous compatibility issues. Are these sporadic issues from a vocal minority, or is there real technical reason to hold off on getting the AX86U?

Other:
I may be new on this forum, but I am a technical person and formerly worked IT / Networking for many years.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forums @Maximus0636, the RT-AX86U is effectively 'brand new'. However, with RMerlin support available today with already a second release of the Alpha 386.1 base, it's the router I would buy now, at least to test with.

The vocal minority shouldn't have any say in testing to see how it works in your network and Wi-Fi environment. With your background, there is nothing to worry about.

If you're really into testing, then buy both the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX86U and keep the one that performs better for you.

I had nothing than troubles with my AX-88U (worst 2,4ghz ever - you can read the threads) - since I have the AX-86U everything is fine - it just works (even with the ASUS Firmware) 55 days up! ... I don't know when I had this the last time...

No one or very few are writing about the AX-86U - I think the reason is - because it's just works

^ Same experience with 2 different AX88u vs my 86u which is just running with shirt tons of 4k netflix from my newly moved in netflix

I bought the AX86U. Thanks again, everyone. Up to now it is only running for 1 day but I can't complain about anything except that Trend Micro crap.

Congrats on your purchase. I have been raving about the AX86U for months. It's a great router. IMHO it's one of the best routers Asus has ever made. The N66U was exceptional for it's time. The AC68U/P and AC1900P series was a solid and reliable performer. I heard the AC86U has been great but I never owned it. I currently own four AX86Us and with a few of the settings configured for compatibility this router has been rock solid and it is the best performing router I have ever owned... especially now for online gaming with my new Wifi 6 equipped PS5. I will be curious to see how the next new Asus router (GT-AXE1100) performs.

Congrats on your purchase. I have been raving about the AX86U for months. It's a great router. IMHO it's one of the best routers Asus has ever made. The N66U was exceptional for it's time. The AC68U/P and AC1900P series was a solid and reliable performer. I heard the AC86U has been great but I never owned it. I currently own four AX86Us and with a few of the settings configured for compatibility this router has been rock solid and it is the best performing router I have ever owned... especially now for online gaming with my new Wifi 6 equipped PS5. I will be curious to see how the next new Asus router (GT-AXE1100) performs.

I came from a N66U as well, upgraded to a AC86U, 3 years in April of 21 with no complaints so far. During this week, my best friend came from a 6 year old AC87U that definitely had some issues to a AX86U and wow, what a difference in his experience. With the AX86U, his speed and range doubled and it's taking a whole house beating well, according to his testing.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the AX86U if my current one took a dive and needed replacing.

I ran a speed test and both the Traffic Monitor and Bandwidth Monitor definitely lit up.

I am also using Traditional QoS because I don't want to enable that Trend Micro thing.

You are literally like not using 20% of the routers capability and price alone by not using it because you "paid" for lifelong trend support with the router purchase .

You are on the modern internet. Nothing is private anymore. not using Trend micro will not make you any more "protected" and in fact, you will be less protected

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!