What's new

is there an ios app to enable/disable vpn client on ax88u router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys I've been using merlin f/w for yonks now very successfully and have recently got netflix on my tv but unless I do a bypass of the vpn for it it does'nt stream and the bypass leaves me unprotected. So do any of you guys know of a way to control the vpn from an iphone without messing about with the pc and logging in etc.
I have the asus router app installed to check my lan as I have three routers on it but it does'nt cover the vpn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can do it via an SSH command and iOS shortcuts now support SSH commands. So you can even ask Siri to turn the VPN on/off.
I don’t have the commands to hand but I expect a quick search will yield them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also configure the router to send specific traffic either through the VPN, or not in the case of your TV. There are a number of posts on this site describing how you can restrict access by either IP address (i.e. by device - your TV) or by port (i.e. service).

This would perhaps negate your need to turn it on/off if these scenarios apply in your case.

You can also configure the router to send specific traffic either through the VPN, or not in the case of your TV. There are a number of posts on this site describing how you can restrict access by either IP address (i.e. by device - your TV) or by port (i.e. service).

This would perhaps negate your need to turn it on/off if these scenarios apply in your case.

Hi dosborne yes I've already done this previously with my fetch streaming box, later deleted it as when I went onto the nord vpn site it said I was unprotected. I was looking for a way to do short term enable/disable via my iphone instead of stuffing around logging in and out of my router via the pc but thanks anyway for your help.
JDB I have seen this possibility using ssh shortcuts to control the vpn but am completely ignorent of how to achieve it, I found it after searching google. Is there an app on the App store that initializes this. I don't use siri as I think it produces even more privacy issues?

Hi dosborne yes I've already done this previously with my fetch streaming box, later deleted it as when I went onto the nord vpn site it said I was unprotected. I was looking for a way to do short term enable/disable via my iphone instead of stuffing around logging in and out of my router via the pc but thanks anyway for your help.
JDB I have seen this possibility using ssh shortcuts to control the vpn but am completely ignorent of how to achieve it, I found it after searching google. Is there an app on the App store that initializes this. I don't use siri as I think it produces even more privacy issues?

The Shortcuts app is built into iOS. Unless you’ve deleted it in which case search for it in the App Store.

You first need to enable SSH access on the router - it’s as simple as ticking the box and ensuring it is set to LAN only. The below assumes password authentication, but you could generate an RSA key as part of the below steps and paste it into the SSH keys box in the router web UI to avoid using passwords.

To do what you need:
Open Shortcuts
Tap + on top right to create new
Add Action
Search “ssh”
Select Run script over SSH
Show more
Host=IP of your router
User=admin
Authentication=password
Password=your router password
Script=service start_vpnclient1

Tap > in bottom right to run it and test it works. First run it will warn you it is an “unknown host”, just tap Connect.

Tap Next
Name=Start Router VPN (or whatever you want)
Done

Repeat the above for Stop (replace the world start with stop everywhere!).

So now you just tap the buttons on the Shortcuts dashboard to start or stop.

You can also access the buttons via the Widgets (swipe right on iOS home screen), Siri (not that you use it), or the search screen (swipe down on iOS home screen).

Hope it helps!

SSH Shortcuts works really well: hxxps://apps.apple.com/us/app/ssh-shortcuts/id1000994730

For those on Android, I wrote a script.

Install: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.krakkato.smartcommandssh
Note that only the full version is capable of giving you a widget. Maybe there's better in Google Play, but that's the one I've been using.

Then use something like this I wrote:
Command list (change VPN number to your client number)
Code:
VPN=4
if [ -f "/etc/openvpn/client$VPN/status" ]; then
service stop_vpnclient$VPN >/dev/null 2>&1
echo "$(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_desc): OFF ($(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_addr))"
else
service start_vpnclient$VPN >/dev/null 2>&1
echo "$(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_desc): ON ($(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_addr))"
fi

Command response:
Code:
VPN=4
[ -f "/etc/openvpn/client$VPN/status" ] && echo "$(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_desc): ON ($(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_addr))" || echo "$(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_desc): OFF ($(nvram get vpn_client"$VPN"_addr))"

Note that I haven't used any indentation, this program handles the code better without it.

String code ON is ON and String code OFF is OFF.

Attached a screenshot of what I've configured, feel free to try other settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-214641616.png
    Screenshot_20200501-214641616.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_20200501-214651763.png
    Screenshot_20200501-214651763.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: JDB
The Shortcuts app is built into iOS. Unless you’ve deleted it in which case search for it in the App Store.

You first need to enable SSH access on the router - it’s as simple as ticking the box and ensuring it is set to LAN only. The below assumes password authentication, but you could generate an RSA key as part of the below steps and paste it into the SSH keys box in the router web UI to avoid using passwords.

To do what you need:
Open Shortcuts
Tap + on top right to create new
Add Action
Search “ssh”
Select Run script over SSH
Show more
Host=IP of your router
User=admin
Authentication=password
Password=your router password
Script=service start_vpnclient1

Tap > in bottom right to run it and test it works. First run it will warn you it is an “unknown host”, just tap Connect.

Tap Next
Name=Start Router VPN (or whatever you want)
Done

Repeat the above for Stop (replace the world start with stop everywhere!).

So now you just tap the buttons on the Shortcuts dashboard to start or stop.

You can also access the buttons via the Widgets (swipe right on iOS home screen), Siri (not that you use it), or the search screen (swipe down on iOS home screen).

Hope it helps!

@eltell69 these instructions fully answer your question, I’m assuming you missed them as you asked how on the other thread!?

Hi Guys I've been using merlin f/w for yonks now very successfully and have recently got netflix on my tv but unless I do a bypass of the vpn for it it does'nt stream and the bypass leaves me unprotected. So do any of you guys know of a way to control the vpn from an iphone without messing about with the pc and logging in etc.
I have the asus router app installed to check my lan as I have three routers on it but it does'nt cover the vpn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Why is it even necessary to protect a TV with a vpn?

@eltell69 these instructions fully answer your question, I’m assuming you missed them as you asked how on the other thread!?

Yes JDB your correct sorry for that but I've re-read your answer to my post and now I've just got ssh shortcuts from the app store. now I'm looking at how to use it.
I've only just started and already I'm asking you how to add action, is it a descriptive name in the name of the shortcut colum on the app explaining what it does?

Hi unclebuk well it's a smart tv and I control it using various devices that are on my lan, this is a few lines from a site talking about it,

Smart TVs are already revolutionary for their capacity to supersize your entertainment experience. However, with a VPN, you are entitled to even more fantastic movies, TV shows, music, and games. Plus, it will keep you safe from the ever-growing and transforming threat of cybercrime. Until Smart TV restrictions and risks have been solved by the source, we recommend every user installs a VPN!

The thing is I don't know how smart my tv is.

fbaf93201d290ecb2f6867ff298102a8.plist

b84928db8bf6779a6a99985a810364e7.plist

eeee24e82169dd1bb15166ca771b1d17.plist

Next, give it a name, and you’re done!

Hi JDB thanks a mill I've got it working now cheers for your help.

Hi zaqa yes it does work very well it'll save a heep of time.

Hi maghuro why don't you write one for ios, command lines look rather complicated but most people can copy and paste.

Reactions: JDB
Hi JDB thanks for your pretty full on explanation in answer to my "help" hope I didn't waste your time but I worked it out from your original post ( the one I re-read)
I really appreciate you help but I'm not sure that all of the various windows you show are actually in the ios ssh shortcut app as there's only shortcut, host which includes ip address and login details and last the command line then top right to save. But anyway it worked perfect so thanks again.

It think you are using a different app.
The one I linked to native to iOS, the one you are using is 3rd party.
But if it works it works!

Hi JDB thanks a mill I've got it working now cheers for your help.

Hi zaqa yes it does work very well it'll save a heep of time.

Hi maghuro why don't you write one for ios, command lines look rather complicated but most people can copy and paste.
I don't own an ios device my friend, so I don't know what's In the market :)

But maybe, with a compatible iOS app, that code i provided will work. Ssh is the same everywhere

Hi JDB yes I thought also your link was a different app but it didn't say which one but mine is SSH Shortcuts and it's on the app store so thanks at least you pointed me in the right direction.

Hi maghuro that's interesting I'll have to try your commands using a different ios app thanks.