What's new

Is this a DNS issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
My ISP recently changed my IP address after 10 years on the same IP.
That's OK, but...
whatismyip.com and whatismyipaddress.com and others like this return a city name for my IP address that is either of two cities. One is correct. The other city name is 100 miles away and is in another city served by my ISP.

Could this be that my ISP has done something wrong to get the region for this new IP address to proliferate to all DNSes? My ISP is huge Time Warner Cable.

Impact to me: For some reason, this causes me to be considered risky in posting on one forum and I get jammed on to CAPTCHAs for all postings. Also, I'm getting spam and the like related to the other city.

Are you paying for static IP? Ask for it back. Or at least ask for an IP in your city/area.

Try powering down the modem and/or router for 1/2 an hour and see if you get your old IP address back?

If this is recent; just waiting may resolve this issue (they may still be rolling out these changes and need to shuffle things around for now).

I don't pay for a static IP. Lucky that the one I had didn't change for 10 years.

I'd think that this possible-DNS issue would have resolved now, after 1-2 weeks since the change.
It's odd to go to various whatismyIP type sites and see the two cities come up in random fashion.

I filed a ticket with Time Warner. Past experience says they'll never understand the issue.

Yes, I know.
I don't like that since the non-static public address changed, first time in years, I now have an IP that the DNSes think is in a town 100 miles away. Causes spam to and ads that I don't want.

I filed a ticket on this with my ISP, Time Warner cable. Predictably, they just ignored the ticket. Monopoly.

I'm only guessing here, but there might be more than one DNS server involved with your ISP. Maybe it's for load balancing. Maybe it was a failover event. Who knows. That's where the different locations came in.

I'm also guessing that the two DDNS addresses synced up with the ISP DNS servers at different times when the failover / load balance occurred.

Pulling it all together, the DDNS service notices that there is no change to some significant data field so the record at their end is never updated. Two (perhaps four) DNS servers are involved somewhere and locked in beyond your direct control

Try moving the URL to a friend's ISP or a completely different IP address, them move it back after your DDNS provider notices the change. That might re-synch them up.

Last edited:
I did nslookup specifying various DNS servers. Some returned the correct city name, others not.
I tried various on-line web browser based equivalents of nslookup, and got similar results.

I normally use two addresses for DNS (my ISP's DNSes are silly-bad).
4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.