What's new

Is Ubiquiti Unifi an upgrade from Asus Aimesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is no way ASUS can do what Cisco's network software can do for free. ASUS does not even have software to map a network. It is a 1 box unit.

Tech9m is full of marketing sh$$t. He is just marketing.

Tech9m is full of marketing sh$$t. He is just marketing.

What are you talking about, @coxhaus? Why do you make comments on devices you have never seen? I can list for you feature per feature what Asus RT-AC66U B1 router for $100 can do compared to Cisco RV340. Remember, I have both to compare. I know you worked for Cisco all your life and retired 16y ago, but things have changed. Why so aggressive? What do you think I'm trying to sell?

UPDATE - this didn't work. I set the DNS servers as indicated, but the internet connectivity lasted about 45 minutes and then everything disconnects again.

Any chance it's my ONT?
It could still be the ONT.. but from what you and others say... yeah start with the router.
If I had the family screaming and since I need internet more than ever I'd go out locally or fast ship a replacement from a place with a good return policy.. See if the replacement has the same problem.as a temporary measure. You can buy if its acting up as often,

I guess is sounds more like the router now..if cycling that gets you back. If the family is screaming.. and it's happening really often maybe pick up one locally from a place with a good return policy to see if it does the same thing. .. may buy you some time as you research the best one.

All - thanks for your responses and help. I ended up buying a TCP-Link Omada system. I tried a bunch of recommended things to stop the Asus router disconnects from the internet, but none of them worked - including continous DHCP query frequency. It’s too bad, I really liked the Asus Aimesh setup and it was otherwise stable with the Merlin firmware. Using a script to detect disconnects was an option others have used, but that doesn’t work for me because it would cause all kinds of problems I won’t go into.

I had never heard of the Omada setup and only learned about it in this thread. I really like it. I have the controller, router, a number of managed switches, and six APs right now. I have an older multilevel home with several rooms outside brick walls and need to cover the outside. I love the central web administration of all the components. I like that the router is a separate piece I can keep near my Verizon ONT and place where all my ethernet cables converge in the basement. And it’s so easy to add new pieces. They are relatively affordable too - it’s cheaper to add an AP than buy a new top model router from Asus to use merely as a an aimesh node.

As to performance, the Asus put out very good wifi speeds but the Omada system seems better. Admittedly I have two wifi 6 APs now when I had older Asus routers. But even the AC Omada APs seem faster. And the 2.4 radio performance is definitely better with my Omada setup - my smart wall switches never worked reliably with the Asus network but they seem great with Omada. Wired network performance also seems a little higher - I’m getting over 900 Mbps from the internet on my desktop computers maybe 50-75 higher than before.

And internet connection has been rock solid so far with the Omada router. We’ll see how it goes - fingers crossed.

I have no complaints with Omada so far. I need a few more managed switches and another AP or two, but the newer and cheaper 8 port switches are not currently available so I will use my dumb switches a little longer.

So thanks again to all here.

@ces1965 Which Omada AP do you have EAP wifi 5 ( EAP225 or EAP245) or Wifi 6 ( EAP620 or EAP660Hd)?

i have 2 x EAP245 and want if there are much difference woth to upgrade to EAP660.

REgards

@ces1965 Which Omada AP do you have EAP wifi 5 ( EAP225 or EAP245) or Wifi 6 ( EAP620 or EAP660Hd)?

i have 2 x EAP245 and want if there are much difference woth to upgrade to EAP660.

REgards
Hi I have 3 x EAP245 and 2 x EAP620 and also one 225 outdoor. I think the 620s are faster with my latest iphone. The 660 was too much for me.

the biggest problem with the Omada system is there’s nothing for me to do. It just works

In OpenWrt they recommend these wifi 6 routers: belkin rt3200 and linksys E8450 both routers use the same hardware.

They say they are one of the best wifi routers that have support and use kernel version 5.10.

If you use sqm cake it can be up to 500mbs with one core, but if you install and use Irqbalance to use both cores, you can with more than 500mbs using sqm cake.

belkin rt3200 price 100 dollars
Search results - OpenWrt Forum: https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=rt3200 order:latest

linksys e8450 price 150 dollars
Search results - OpenWrt Forum: https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=e8450 order:latest

package Irqbalance

OpenWrt + 802.11ax supported

Last edited:
I had a TP-link router once. I would never trust their firewall. I have not run their wireless and never will. I use Cisco small business networking gear and I have no issues. Their code is better written than TP-link.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!