What's new

Isolated guest wireless network with multiple APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guy Wood

New Around Here
Hi,

I've had an ASUS RT-N66U for some time and just loaded up Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65_4. I've just got one of these bad boys at the moment but my long term plan is to have one operating in router mode in my office for wifi and wired connections. Then several others around my house acting as wifi access points (or any other router/ap).

What I want to setup is a private wireless network that all my devices go on, communicate with each other and the internet. And a guest wireless network that my CAN'T talk to my private wireless network but can talk to the internet (can talk to each or or not, doesn't matter).

So playing about with my Asus today I've been able to setup as an access point and re-create the same name wireless network from my Virgin Media modem/router thus creating ONE wireless network. My question is, that if I buy additional Asus's (don't think I'll need Merlin for this particular function) and I setup guest wireless network with no intranet access (on router mode one). If I re-create said guest wireless network with same name on an Asus (bear in mind I won't have the 'no intranet access' option in AP mode), will devices when I move into range of that AP still be able to connect to that network which, most importantly, will be on a different subnet meaning they can't talk to my private devices? I wanted an answer to that before I went ahead and purchased another router that didn't do what I wanted it to!

Mentioning Merlin is probably a red herring to all of the above I just plan to future proof use of additional features such as vlans for my home lab.

Thanks in advance.
Guy