What's new

Issues connecting 2nd AiMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big-T

New Around Here
Hey guys, I have a GT-AC5300 as my AiMesh Router with an RT-AC3100 AiMesh Node already connected. I ordered another RT-AC3100 for a second node, but every time I try to connect I get the standard "Could Not Connect Node for the following reasons: [List of everything in the ASUS FAQ]."

I have triple-checked the firmware on both RT-AC3100's (3.0.0.4.384_21045), and the GT-AC5300 is at 3.0.0.4.384_21140 which is the same as it was when I added the first node (It's literally only been about 4 days since I added the first one, in fact). I have also factory-reset the AC3100 several times through both the GUI and red button methods (though I'm not sure it needs that anymore, as it appears it does that automatically when the AiMesh join fails and I search for it again).

The interesting thing about it is that it does seem like it starts to work... After it fails, I can connect via ethernet to the RT-AC3100 and get an IP on my AiMesh router's network with connectivity to the internet. But alas, I cannot get it to show up on my AiMesh router gui, and when I search for it again to try and resolve that issue, the AC3100 appears to factory-reset itself again, becomes available on the 192.168.1.1 IP, and allows me to go through the whole manual -> AiMesh -> Node setup rigmarole.

Anyone have any idea what may be happening? Any ideas on other things I can try to get it to work?

Thanks yall!

SOLUTION: Restarted the Router, powered off the first node, added the second node, then powered back up the first node. May have been either the restarting of the router or the powering off of the first node, but as I did both that's what I'll report worked. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
you did a factory reset
connected through wired cable to the new ac3100
and configured it for aimesh?

You have different SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz?
Did you turn off the old ac3100 to insure that the new ac3100 connects to the base directly?

You do understand that in aimesh all of the radios share the same channel and that in repeater mode it does not?

I was having trouble with my rt-5300 (likely this, dummy behind the keyboard) Anyway. I found that for me it was always best to reset the incoming node (even if I had just reset it) and open the config page to my router, I would click search for when I knew the incoming node was close to completion of that reset and not fully completed. For me this was the easiest way to achieve the linking.

It works for me so I’ll keep on with it. ;)

I did have better results moving the incoming node about 12' away from the 5300. Every time I tried it closer, I felt as if I was too close. My router sits on a shelf in the living room and I placed the incoming node on my desk 10/12' away with a much higher degree of success. If in doubt reset.

I was having trouble with my rt-5300 (likely this, dummy behind the keyboard) Anyway. I found that for me it was always best to reset the incoming node (even if I had just reset it) and open the config page to my router, I would click search for when I knew the incoming node was close to completion of that reset and not fully completed. For me this was the easiest way to achieve the linking.

It works for me so I’ll keep on with it. ;)

I did have better results moving the incoming node about 12' away from the 5300. Every time I tried it closer, I felt as if I was too close. My router sits on a shelf in the living room and I placed the incoming node on my desk 10/12' away with a much higher degree of success. If in doubt reset.
This will match my experience with two routers side by side within 1m distance.
Have 2.4G troubles down to <1Mb/s or even nothing for seconds while 5G worked well.
Put one 5m away and everything is fine now.
Seems to have a lot of interference troubles if too close (yes on different +4 channel).

This will match my experience with two routers side by side within 1m distance.
Have 2.4G troubles down to <1Mb/s or even nothing for seconds while 5G worked well.
Put one 5m away and everything is fine now.
Seems to have a lot of interference troubles if too close (yes on different +4 channel).

that's why repeater mode is so much better than aimesh. sharing wireless channels between the nodes may be neighbor friendly, but it's such a headache.

that's why repeater mode is so much better than aimesh. sharing wireless channels between the nodes may be neighbor friendly, but it's such a headache.
Conclusion: Would be a nice feature to have ethernet backhaul and different WiFi channels on nodes!

Thanks everyone for your help!

My apologies for not coming back and giving an update. I'm not positive which thing I did fixed it, but I rebooted the AiMesh Router (GT-AC5300), and powered off the other RT-AC3100 node. The new RT-AC3100 attached fine at that point, and when I powered up the first 3100 it came back on the AiMesh with no issues.

So happy to report everything is working great. Thanks again for all of the responses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!