What's new

Issues with Netgear WNDR4500 Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

airolden

New Around Here
I am having issues with my wireless home network.

I have the Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router and a dual band 450Mbps wireless adapter connected to a PC on the other side of my house. The signal strength is pretty average between them (about 3 to 4 bars usually). The problem is that whenever I am trying to transfer large files to this computer, my connection speed drops. I go from 450Mbps to about 81Mbps a few seconds in when I start to transfer files over LAN. The PC I am transferring the files from is connected directly to an ethernet port with gigabit connection speeds.

I have updated the router firmware and have tried turning off my firewalls and any other security. The problem exists both over the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. I have also tried to change channels.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how I could go about solving it?

It isn't unusual for link rate to change once data starts to flow. I have observed this same behavior when I am testing product. It appears that some products move the link rate up when they are idle, then adjust when traffic flows.

There isn't anything you can do about it. Given the distance between router and client that you describe, the link rate is reasonable.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me; that makes sense.

Would a wireless repeater help the link rate at all? I have an extra WNDR3300 lying around that I am not currently using that I could make in to a repeater. The transfer rates are much lower on it, though. Would I not be able to take advantage of the full 450mbps theoretical connection if i am using a 300mbps router as a repeater? Also is setting up a repeater for a dual band router any different or even possible?

Sorry for all of the further questions and thanks in advance.