What's new

Jffs corrupt ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So woke up this morning with a lot wifi errors showing in the logs, then no stats available , i started digging. Turns out the jffs partition is almost full 47/49mb and now even my dhcp table is gone..what can I do to fix this?clients ips are all over the place and my whole network is messed up because of this

So woke up this morning with a lot wifi errors showing in the logs, then no stats available , i started digging. Turns out the jffs partition is almost full 47/49mb and now even my dhcp table is gone..what can I do to fix this?clients ips are all over the place and my whole network is messed up because of this

Reformat the partition via the GUI. Put a check in the box then scroll down to bottom and hit apply, then reboot.

That didn't work

Code:
Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Jan 30 15:21:46 kernel: jffs2: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 196 bytes for garbage_collect_dnode failed: -28
Jan 30 15:21:46 kernel: jffs2: Error garbage collecting node at 02d76b8c!

That didn't work

Code:
Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Jan 30 15:21:46 kernel: jffs2: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 196 bytes for garbage_collect_dnode failed: -28
Jan 30 15:21:46 kernel: jffs2: Error garbage collecting node at 02d76b8c!
Try reflashing whatever firmware you are using.

Same problem reported in this post. The solution was to backup your current settings, do a factory reset with initialize, and then reload your settings.

Same problem reported in this post. The solution was to backup your current settings, do a factory reset with initialize, and then reload your settings.
Thanks i was just reading that, well this sucks I'd like to avoid doing this :(I'll try at night when everyone is asleep

I get the impression reading here that JFFS issues are predominately related to Asuswrt-Merlin use... is that a misimpression?

OE

I get the impression reading here that JFFS issues are predominately related to Asuswrt-Merlin use... is that a misimpression?
I don't think that's the case for this particular problem. I assumed the person in the other thread was using stock firmware. I suspect there's a fundamental problem with how the Asus firmware manages (or doesn't) the file sizes in jffs.

Of course a lot of Merlin users are going to be consuming additional space in jffs for their scripts and add-ons which will only exacerbate the problem.

Last edited:

OE
Stock firmware has been using it for years to store AiProtection databases, OpenVPN certificates, backing up the system log, and so on. Newer HND models also store longer nvram settings there to avoid the limitations put in place by Broadcom on the maximum allowed nvram value length.

Of course a lot of Merlin users are going to be consuming additional space in jffs for their scripts and add-ons which will only exacerbate the problem.

Yes, I've thought of this extra-ordinary usage.

My point is not Asuswrt-Merlin usage in particular, but rather the potential for JFFS issues with my own Asuswrt usage... I'm not aware of any so far so I've been ignoring such discussions here.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!