What's new

Joining 2 networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fogmajor

New Around Here
Hi Everyone (newbie)
I wondered if it would be possible to point me in the right direction
I have a small business network running dhcp from a server with ip details of 192.168.1.xxx there is a draytec 2820n router that provides internet with a gateway of 192.168.1.253 (255.255.255.0)
I have a second network (cctv) that has ip details of 192.168.2.xxx (255.255.255.0)

I would like to be able to sit at any of my 5 work stations on the 192.168.1.xxx network and connect to the devices on the 192.168.2.xxx network

I was presuming routers would be the answer
Many thanks in anticipation

fogmajor

Hi Thank you for the interest in my post
As of this moment there is no connection between the 2 networks
Both networks are on separate switches in the same network cabinet

Many thanks

fogmajor

Do the two networks really need to be on different segments? If you are concerned with keeping them separate, you could do it with an inexpensive smart switch using VLANs.

There is also a simple method using two routers. You would put your cameras on the LAN connected to the router that is connected directly to the modem. Your other LAN would connect to the downstream router that is behind the first one.

Hi Again
Many thanks for your prompt and informative reply, I am going to spend some time and try to set up the router method not just as a solution but also as a learning exercise.

Many thanks

Fogmajor

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!