What's new

Kamoj Kamoj add-on V5 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for using the addon, even if you don't use it for creating the openvpn configuration.

I sure would like to help you, but I'm away from keyboard for some time, so I can only help a little now.

It's good you supplied the log file!
  • In the .ovpn file, you should not specify the path to the password file.
So change from:
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/config/client/auth.txt
to:
auth-user-pass auth.txt
  • What do you mean when you say all the files?
Do you have more than 2 files?
  • The addon have support for Surfshark. I suggest you use that to create a working OpenVPN connection.
  • You can also use the addon to edit your existing configuration, and change password etc
Hi kamoj, I've used your add-on for the past several months (thank you!). My use case is simple: I transitioned from your VPN bypass script posted to the forums, to the add-on for ease. (I also appreciate the enhanced debug screen.)

Unfortunately, I'm not only here to thank you, but to report a potential bug. Admission: I dropped IPVanish shortly before wiping V4 of your add-on, and didn't install V5 until SurfShark was already set-up. As a result, I recognize this could be user error, and I'm happy to run further tests or else provide additional logs. The new VPN was working smoothly until I attempted to install the V5 add-on, though, on both Voxel 72 and 73.

I appreciate any help you can provide, and there's absolutely no rush of course! Thanks for reading, thank you for creating your add-on in the first place, and Happy New Year!

openvpn-client.log
Code:
2019-12-19 08:04:06 [OpenVPN] Client:INFO: NO OpenVPN configuration given. Searching for .ovpn files...
2019-12-19 08:04:06 [OpenVPN] Client:INFO: OpenVPN configuration found: /etc/openvpn/config/client/us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn
2019-12-19 08:04:06 [OpenVPN] Client:Check if DNS is already working
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn: Password file given but does not exist
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:Get password file for: /etc/openvpn/config/client/us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:Processing us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn file...
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:No password file found: /tmp/openvpn_client/idpw. Check pre-defined username/password
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:No password file found. No pre-defined username/password exist.
2019-12-19 08:04:07 [OpenVPN] Client:ERROR: No password file found and no default passwords exist. Exiting
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:INFO: NO OpenVPN configuration given. Searching for .ovpn files...
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:INFO: OpenVPN configuration found: /etc/openvpn/config/client/us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:Check if DNS is already working
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn: Password file given but does not exist
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:Get password file for: /etc/openvpn/config/client/us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:Processing us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com_udp.ovpn file...
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:No password file found: /tmp/openvpn_client/idpw. Check pre-defined username/password
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:No password file found. No pre-defined username/password exist.
2019-12-29 21:43:48 [OpenVPN] Client:ERROR: No password file found and no default passwords exist. Exiting

All the files are in their proper places.

ovpn file, below, in case this exposes an error on my part
Code:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote us-nyc.prod.surfshark.com 1194
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/config/client/auth.txt
#comp-lzo
verb 3
pull
pull-filter ignore "block-outside-dns"
fast-io
cipher AES-256-GCM
auth SHA512
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
certificate deleted for length of this post
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
key-direction 1
<tls-auth>
#
# 2048 bit OpenVPN static key
#
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
static key deleted for length of this post
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>

Joined to say thank you for your effort. Started using add on for R7800. So many new features to explore !!!

Also wanted to comment on ad-blocker. I use Kaspersky Internet Security's default ad blocker and I noticed it works. Also tried using "Adblock Plus - free ad blocker" extension in firefox and it blocks youtube ads. Any idea which one will be blocking youtube ad?

Also requesting for a feature to see site wise bandwidth usage? Basically I want to see the bandwidth used by all sites. Mainly to track if any background process is using internet or not. Not sure its possible or not.

Is it possible to use vpn for only one url? I have membership of a vpn service but that I only want to use for specific url. Now my setup is that , I have configured Chrome with that VPN and when I need I browse that site using Chrome.

Question on security. How to ensure that data is not getting hacked? My understanding is that, As the plugins are at router level, no antivirus will be able to track anything. Not sure its relevant or not but just curious.

@kamoj: Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I've found the solution for the login poup error on the openvpn setting page: a password change for the web interface. After changing the password, the opevpn and the routerinfo pages work without problem.
For the checkboxes on the addon_setting page. Only in chrome the corresponding command (for example telnet login without password) is executed and the corresponding box is checked. In Firefox and Edge neither the command is executed nor the box will be checked.
Albeit it is intressting that the checkboxes on other sub sites, for example on the addon_routerinfo.htm page work without problem in Edge and Firefox.

For the antenna configuration topic (I speak here mainly from the perspective of an R7800 user). First I thought that this option controls which antenna will send in which band (as suggested by one user in the netgear forum who says that antenna 3 is mainly responsible for the 2.4Ghz band, see here). However, FCC aplication and antenna design (it is a 4x4 router) says that all antennas are identical (for more information see here). My own tests (by replacing one antenna with a directional one and then changing the antenna configuration to match the directional antenna (directional antenna on antenna port 3 => antenna configuration 3) were not very conclusive, as some times there was an increase in gain, other times not. I think I should repeat it....

@kamoj: Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I've found the solution for the login popup error on the openvpn setting page: a password change for the web interface. After changing the password, the opevpn and the routerinfo pages work without problem.
I experienced the same issue with the unsatisfied user/pass dialog when accessing the OpenVPN Client tab on Chrome 79.0.3945.86. Thank you for posting your solution, resetting the web password (Advanced>Admin>Set Password) worked for me, too.

This might sound like a dumb question, but can someone explain how to use the openvpn part?
Also which is the recommended adblock service everyone is using?
Finally, in the next update, whenever that is, would it be possible to add windscribe?
Thanks [emoji1417]

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I had no time to write instructions or help.
Voxel encouraged me to release this in a rush before xmas.
Without him there would be no addon!

Find the section: Create OpenVPN Client Configuration
  • Fill in your Credentials: User Identity/Name and Password
  • Select your "OpenVPN Provider" in the drop list .
  • Wait for some time...
    ... for measuring speed of all servers.
  • Make your choice(s) and select a server in the drop list.
  • "Create configuration"
  • "Start VPN with this".
(I recommend that you check "Cyclic Status update" at top of page,
and check the log file.)

If windscribe allow free access to .ovpn files no problem to add support. Do they?

Ad- and malware etc blocking :
I have no opinion,
We all in community have to help!

This might sound like a dumb question, but can someone explain how to use the openvpn part?
Also which is the recommended adblock service everyone is using?
Finally, in the next update, whenever that is, would it be possible to add windscribe?
Thanks [emoji1417]

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
why does add on says a version which doesnt released yet
upload_2019-12-31_18-14-19.png

Shh... Silent release... No new threads. For R9000 and Orbi too... Happy New Year!

Voxel.

is Kamoj add-on compatible sir with new release? if it's included what commands are needed to be ran through telnet? happy new year Master.

Thanks for the new release. See you next year! ;)

Hi Kamoj!

Many thanks for this :)

One small issue I've found on this router whilst using an OpenVPN client: NAT loopback/hairpinning doesn't work. Meaning that if I have the OpenVPN client connected, I can't connect to my WAN IP and access internal services through the NAT port forwarding. This is possible while I'm not using the OpenVPN client. It does not matter whether the client is in the bypass list or not, in both cases it stays trying to connect and times out eventually.

Keep in mind this is not specific to your setup - I get the same behaviour using this: https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-openvpn-client-netgear-r7800-voxels-custom-firmware

But maybe you or Voxel have some idea on how to fix it. It feels to me that we probably need another `ip rule` to push our connections through the right interface.

The reason why this is useful is that I have a domain name pointing to my WAN IP so I can access some services I have at home. These work when I'm outside of my home connection, but not when I'm at home if I'm using the VPN, and I have to use direct internal connections (which is a pain as the port is not the same).

Hi,

When I am trung to download the addon to my router it says voxel-firmware.com is unresoavable. My router isn't connected to the internet as I would like to use this addon to enable option 61 for me to be able to connect. Is there a way to transfer the file across or another way?

Thanks!

Hi,

When I am trung to download the addon to my router it says voxel-firmware.com is unresoavable. My router isn't connected to the internet as I would like to use this addon to enable option 61 for me to be able to connect. Is there a way to transfer the file across or another way?

Thanks!

Download the file to your computer and copy it to a USB stick. Insert the stick in the router's USB port and copy from /mnt/sda1 to /root (for example); cp -f /mnt/sda1/*.ipk /root

Then: /bin/opkg install --force-overwrite /root/*.ipk

Download the file to your computer and copy it to a USB stick. Insert the stick in the router's USB port and copy from /mnt/sda1 to /root (for example); cp -f /mnt/sda1/*.ipk /root

Then: /bin/opkg install --force-overwrite /root/*.ipk
fwiw: if you load it onto a usb stick you can install it directly from the usb stick, no copy into the router necessary

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!