What's new

Kamoj Kamoj add-on V5 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Great job, Kamoj.

Hello guys, was someone able to tune and get correct setting for the add blocking part? I'm using adaway for now only but I would like to know if there is something more specific for youtube adds and android apps. Thank you

Inviato dal mio Mi 9T Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Download the file to your computer and copy it to a USB stick. Insert the stick in the router's USB port and copy from /mnt/sda1 to /root (for example); cp -f /mnt/sda1/*.ipk /root

Then: /bin/opkg install --force-overwrite /root/*.ipk
Sorry for the noob question, but how do you download the file directly onto your computer or your USB stick ?

Sorry for the noob question, but how do you download the file directly onto your computer or your USB stick ?

Just copy and paste the URL provided on the first page in your browser? it'll ask you to save it

I do the following, and it allows me to re-install easily after firmware upgrade.
Attach a USB drive to the 7800 - i had a spare 128GB and I leave it permanently attached.

Follow Kamoj's instructions and telnet into your 7800.
Before downloading the .ipk - change directories to your USB drive.
For me the command is 'cd /mnt/sda1' which leaves me in the root directory of my USB drive.

Follow Kamoj's instructions to download the .ipk file at this point and then finish the Kamoj install.

The download will leave the kamoj ipk file on the USB drive.
The install can be completed directly from the USB drive.
The downloaded ipk will survive firmware updates since it's on the USB drive.

When Kamoj creates a new version, I download and install it onto my USB drive and keep going.

hey guys with this add kamoj should i have to disable the qos from netgear to use the qos from kamoj? if so. what is a good setting to an xbox. kamoj first time trying your add and damn

Hey all,

I am using Voxel's + Kamoj addon + ExpressVPN + bypass for some (internal) IPs + DNSCrypt for Google DNS used by router and other anonymous servers close to ExpressVPN DCs for best performance of GEO based services.
All works perfectly and (even though I am not linux guy) I am trying to squeeze max in regards to security and flexibility at the same time.

Kamoj what you brought to my R7800 is exactly what made me pull this beast out from closet where it was collecting dust. Many thanks for your effort!

Now what I am missing and trying to find solution for is to allow access to certain services (TCP/UDP) on my internal devices via my public IP while having OpenVPN UP.
Obviously incoming traffic is not an issue (simple forward on router) but the response goes to VPN tunnel (assymetry).
Is there way to route traffic originating from certain list of protocols and ports via default gateway of router (not OpenVPN)?

Example:
I'd like to manage device with IP X.X.X.X on my internal network using port tcp/443 from Internet (unknown IP Y.Y.Y.Y which can change anytime) using my fixed public IP from ISP.

So I need to bypass OpenVPN returning traffic using source tcp/443 and Internal IP X.X.X.X - this information is known to router from Forwarding configuration (this is not error proof though) or
I need to route all traffic to public IP Y.Y.Y.Y detected and allowed by router firewall/forwarding (i would have to delete this routing after some time (perhaps when session closes).

Basicaly there is effective outbound bypass for internal IPs to avoid OpenVPN completely and now I am trying to find a way for inbound.

Thanks for any ideas and tips.

Regards

Hi all,
I'm new to al this tech. So I installed the kamoj add-on and i tried to activate the Dnscrypt 2 Ad-Blocking is asking for authentication and is not accepting my user and pass used for routerlogin.
Any advice for me, please.

Thanks

Could be that your session timed-out.
Try to always start with:
http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm and click the ADVANCED tab.
Then you will be prompted to login before accessing the add-on pages.

Also read this whole thread, about others having same problems:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...00-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/page-3#post-536755
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...00-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/page-3#post-536777

Hi all,
I'm new to al this tech. So I installed the kamoj add-on and i tried to activate the Dnscrypt 2 Ad-Blocking is asking for authentication and is not accepting my user and pass used for routerlogin.
Any advice for me, please.

Thanks

First, a big thank you to Voxel and Kamoj for their work!
It makes the supported routers (R7800 in my case) worth and I choose mine because of that.

I have 2 wishes:
As mentioned in other threads (like http://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-dns-setting-for-the-lan-dhcp-server.55802/ ), the R7800 does not support custom DNS broadcast over DHCP.
It appears that this is set up in /tmp/dhcpd.conf, created by /etc/init.d/net-lan
Is it possible to add in Kamoj Addon: Settings under the section DHCP Options a DNS field(s) to add custom DNS?
It would add the custom DNS in the configuration file, before the default one (that should stay also if custom one fails).

Second wish is: since the add on knows when there is a new Voxel release, is it possible to add an option somewhere to have the router update directly the Voxel firmware while checking for updates?

Thank you, and Regards.

Ok, I will add your first wish to next release.
(It's really /tmp/udhcpd.conf that is used by udhcpd)

The second wish you should ask the master himself: @Voxel

It makes the supported routers (R7800 in my case) worth and I choose mine because of that.

I have 2 wishes:
As mentioned in other threads (like http://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-dns-setting-for-the-lan-dhcp-server.55802/ ), the R7800 does not support custom DNS broadcast over DHCP.
It appears that this is set up in /tmp/dhcpd.conf, created by /etc/init.d/net-lan
Is it possible to add in Kamoj Addon: Settings under the section DHCP Options a DNS field(s) to add custom DNS?
It would add the custom DNS in the configuration file, before the default one (that should stay also if custom one fails).

Second wish is: since the add on knows when there is a new Voxel release, is it possible to add an option somewhere to have the router update directly the Voxel firmware while checking for updates?

Thank you, and Regards.

At the risk of asking a dumb question (certainly wouldn't be my first time!), how do I use the Ad-blocker functionality on my R8900?

Some quality examples of what I don't know:
  • Do I need to change the DNS settings on each computer, or does the router automatically provide itself via DHCP?
  • Is there an optimal setting for DNS encryption (none/Stubby/Dnscrypt v2)?
  • Is there a tutorial where I can learn how this stuff works?
Thanks everyone! It's great seeing all the work the community is putting into these routers.

Welcome!
No need for setting DNS.
You must use Dnscrypt proxy 2 to get blocking with this add-on
No tutorial yet. If you get pages blocked that you want to work, add the url to your whitelist!
Sorry for the short answer, but I'm not able to help more now.

At the risk of asking a dumb question (certainly wouldn't be my first time!), how do I use the Ad-blocker functionality on my R8900?

Some quality examples of what I don't know:
  • Do I need to change the DNS settings on each computer, or does the router automatically provide itself via DHCP?
  • Is there an optimal setting for DNS encryption (none/Stubby/Dnscrypt v2)?
  • Is there a tutorial where I can learn how this stuff works?
Thanks everyone! It's great seeing all the work the community is putting into these routers.

No quite possible. Checking new version of firmware is hardcoded inside CGI processor (it is in binary pre-built form in GPL from NG). So it is using NG sites for checking and no possibility to change the codes to forward it to my site....

P.S.
Please do not forget to add @vladlenas to this list. His work is not so visible but not less important...

Voxel.

It's done and looks like this:
dhcp_dns_hmi.jpg

@kamoj Thank you! That was fast. This is perfect.
I have a custom DNS Server on a NAS for my local network, and I had to use the NAS DHCP Server instead of the router's to be able to use the DNS Server. It makes more sense for the router to handle the DHCP.
For info, my DNS Server is forwarding any request not related to my local network to the router DNS to use the ad blocking features and DNSCrypt.

@Voxel Ok, I understand, nothing you can do about the CGI... The only option would be to trick the binary think it is connecting the NG servers while it is yours with DNS (unless it is even IP hardcoded). But I would think that the DNS request would not go through the router DNS but directly use the WAN provided one, so nothing simple and worth spending time while manual update is not hard.

@vladlenas Thank you for all your work and contributions to this great project!

Hey

@Voxel Want to thank you for making my life a bit simpler and for improving my quality of internet. hehe.
I am sadly stuck with this pos 7800 x4s for 2-3 more months and the netgear software is absolute pure sh*t. Luckily I will have my ubiquiti setup back in few months. But in the meantime your firmware has been a savoir for the x4s and actually made it halfway decent for a all in one consumer grade router.

@kamoj Want to thank you as well for simplifying my life and improving the features of the router. The Signal Strength of all the connected clients is huge. I could not believe that it was not a feature that was built into the router with its stock firmware. The only way I could find the info before was by going to the debug.htm and running the log then saving it and opening the console log file but over half the time that would cause issues with the router and none of the 192.168.1.1 pages would work and it would cause my ethernet connected pc to lose connection but yet wifi still worked. So i would always have to restart the router to get it fully working again.
I do have a few questions for you though.

1.For the congestion control options can you tell me exactly which version each one is as most if not all of those have different variants to them and I am trying to decide which one would be best for certain gaming applications and for when I do heavy downloading. So if you could give me which variant to each one you have implented and maybe a brief description of each one would be greatly appreciated.

2. What is Disable NSS Network SubSystem Accelerator for ipv4/6- I tried to google this information but it was very scarce and mainly talked about part of the network structure for cellular.

3. Set an_router_flag in nvram to indicate 802.11a and 802.11n capability- what is this option and what does it do exactly

4. can you elaborate on what each of the network options do

Again thank you for the amazing addon and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!