What's new

Kamoj Kamoj add-on V5 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Run browser in incognito mode.
Try chrome browser.
Apply for the 5.4beta testing.
I'm using v5 with V1.0.2.80SF, trying to setup a scheduled reboot with a Cron job from the Kamoj settings menu.

I check #1 "On", in "When" enter "0 4 * * 3" (weekly reboot on Wed), in "Command" enter "reboot", then click OK.

The page refreshes and the #1 line is blank. I'm assuming it's not taking. Similarly, if I check HDD Spindown "On" and click OK, it doesn't show as "On" when the page refreshes.

Any solution for this?

Thank you for your work Kamoj! I am getting into trouble with my family and had to remove Kamoj menu addon however perhaps someone can help. Which really breaks my heart because there are so many useful tools and menus and I want to know if I can do anything to help myself and others. I have the three devices after all. I guess the problem could also be associated with Voxel firmware because even after removal of the Kamoj add-on I am experiencing wifi radio quitting and dropping all users. I have 2 r7800s and they are connected to my r9000. They all seem to do the same after time. I was using r7 on all three on latest Voxel on latest Netgear fimwares. I did uninstall everything possible from settings option. It seemed to be ok for about one full day. During install the problem surfaced dispite being from a full 30-30-30 wipe. I wonder if there is a way to flush nvram .. or try something else to get it back. The symptoms remain even after a full Kamoj uninstall and immediate reboot as requested. Darn I wish it was a different bug I could keep trying but regular full wifi shutoffs mean something. Also when I go into the r9000 and click on internet it literally freezes my connection and the gateway goes down intermittently... Sorry to have to share this.. I hope I'm the only one .. it seems like maybe it was from the settings uninstalls perhaps as that is the only thing that doesn't change when I perform uninstall, immediate reboot and install of a new version. Darn

Read the FAQ.txt from here.
http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/
There is information about how to make different "resets".
Thank you for your work Kamoj! I am getting into trouble with my family and had to remove Kamoj menu addon however perhaps someone can help. Which really breaks my heart because there are so many useful tools and menus and I want to know if I can do anything to help myself and others. I have the three devices after all. I guess the problem could also be associated with Voxel firmware because even after removal of the Kamoj add-on I am experiencing wifi radio quitting and dropping all users. I have 2 r7800s and they are connected to my r9000. They all seem to do the same after time. I was using r7 on all three on latest Voxel on latest Netgear fimwares. I did uninstall everything possible from settings option. It seemed to be ok for about one full day. During install the problem surfaced dispite being from a full 30-30-30 wipe. I wonder if there is a way to flush nvram .. or try something else to get it back. The symptoms remain even after a full Kamoj uninstall and immediate reboot as requested. Darn I wish it was a different bug I could keep trying but regular full wifi shutoffs mean something. Also when I go into the r9000 and click on internet it literally freezes my connection and the gateway goes down intermittently... Sorry to have to share this.. I hope I'm the only one .. it seems like maybe it was from the settings uninstalls perhaps as that is the only thing that doesn't change when I perform uninstall, immediate reboot and install of a new version. Darn

Read the FAQ.txt from here.
http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Kamoj/
There is information about how to make different "resets".
Thank you for your reply, because I use three units it is apparent that they are all are unstable after 1 1/2 days of intense use. Normally at the r7800s drop off and start kicking and not broadcasting. Later the r9000 falls off. It takes hours to nvram wipe from telnet, get the fiber connection back go through all the menus and install the Oct releases for both varients (all 3). Even with the brick risk nvram default commit and MTD.. reset commands reboot followed by full setup I'm still left with this critical problem. From time to time I can get it back to stock and they are working fine. Both the 7800s are in ap mode where as the r9000 is the home gateway. I am really quite confused why I have Sooooo many issues. I am following the instructions to a t. For what ever reason mind you dispite all the wipes and double firmware flashes etc. My Kamoj settings are and IP routing addresses all stick. So some files must be left behind.. I have now after many more hours reverted to stock. ATM one of the 7800s still kick me after about 4-5 minutes.. though when I go to sleep and wake up it could be another one too, all of them or the SSIDs might not even be broadcasting. I am struggling and investing so much time I might have to just get them to stock and see if I can sell them as non functional . Which I really don't want to have to do .. because when they work for a day and a half I can pull 200 GB threw each at max capacity and everything is fine with Kamoj menu on latest Voxel on latest Netgear.. all at stock and over is still kicking me..

Any help, advice or beta testing logs I would be happy to help wherever I can.

Thanks again

Great attempt at a beautiful mod though

Frank

If " Kamoj settings are and IP routing addresses all stick " then you have not performed a good reset.
From FAQ:

Code:
Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now
   I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do?
A: Erase all configuration data:
   R7800: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   mtd erase netgear
   reboot

R8900/R9000: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   ngmtd="$(awk -F: '/"netgear"$/ {print $1}' /proc/mtd | grep mtd)"
   [ -n "$ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0
   reboot

IMPORTANT: Also you should NOT try to restore any previous backup.

There is a sever Netgear bug (in both R7800 and R9000) resulting in corrupt configuration backup files.

This GUI change has caused corrupt configuration:
Advanced: Setup: LAN Setup: Starting IP Address
Advanced: Setup: LAN Setup: Apply

These GUI changes have caused corrupt configuration:
Advanced: Administration: Logs: "Turn off wireless signal by schedule"
Advanced: Administration: Logs: ReadySHARE
Advanced: Administration: Logs: Apply

You can check the size of your backup files, they should not be bigger than 100K.
If they are bigger they are probably corrupt.
You current configuration may also be corrupt.
Check it by making a backup and then check the file size!
If corruption due to too big configuration/backup files:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit

Thank you for your reply, because I use three units it is apparent that they are all are unstable after 1 1/2 days of intense use. Normally at the r7800s drop off and start kicking and not broadcasting. Later the r9000 falls off. It takes hours to nvram wipe from telnet, get the fiber connection back go through all the menus and install the Oct releases for both varients (all 3). Even with the brick risk nvram default commit and MTD.. reset commands reboot followed by full setup I'm still left with this critical problem. From time to time I can get it back to stock and they are working fine. Both the 7800s are in ap mode where as the r9000 is the home gateway. I am really quite confused why I have Sooooo many issues. I am following the instructions to a t. For what ever reason mind you dispite all the wipes and double firmware flashes etc. My Kamoj settings are and IP routing addresses all stick. So some files must be left behind.. I have now after many more hours reverted to stock. ATM one of the 7800s still kick me after about 4-5 minutes.. though when I go to sleep and wake up it could be another one too, all of them or the SSIDs might not even be broadcasting. I am struggling and investing so much time I might have to just get them to stock and see if I can sell them as non functional . Which I really don't want to have to do .. because when they work for a day and a half I can pull 200 GB threw each at max capacity and everything is fine with Kamoj menu on latest Voxel on latest Netgear.. all at stock and over is still kicking me..

Any help, advice or beta testing logs I would be happy to help wherever I can.

Thanks again

Great attempt at a beautiful mod though

Frank

Last edited:
If " Kamoj settings are and IP routing addresses all stick " then you have not performed a good reset.
From FAQ:

Code:
Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now
   I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do?
A: Erase all configuration data:
   R7800: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   mtd erase netgear
   reboot

R8900/R9000: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   ngmtd="$(awk -F: '/"netgear"$/ {print $1}' /proc/mtd | grep mtd)"
   [ -n "$ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0
   reboot

IMPORTANT: Also you should NOT try to restore any previous backup.

There is a sever Netgear bug (in both R7800 and R9000) resulting in corrupt configuration backup files.

This GUI changes has caused corrupt configuration:
Advanced: Setup: LAN Setup: Starting IP Address
Advanced: Setup: LAN Setup: Apply

This GUI changes has caused corrupt configuration:
Advanced: Administration: Logs: "Turn off wireless signal by schedule"
Advanced: Administration: Logs: ReadySHARE
Advanced: Administration: Logs: Apply

You can check the size of your backup files, they should not be bigger than 100K.
If they are bigger they are probably corrupt.
You current configuration may also be corrupt.
Check it by making a backup and then check the file size!
If corruption due to too big configuration/backup files:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
Thank you for your quick response, work and I interestingly I assumed the banners only visible in the stock netgear firmware could be responsible because they are only in the original. Could you advise why even stock firmware seems on the 7800s seem to start kicking users. The radio still broadcasts but I performed:

nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

and then had to run the forced preliminary setup until I was able to input the net gear stock firmware. From stock I did run restore the backups come to think of it. Is there a way to get them stable again so maybe in a few days I will venture out again...

Sincerely
#1 fan :) thank you

I suggest you again do:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
And you should NOT restore a corrupt backup.
You need to start from scratch and fill in all values from start.
Thank you for your quick response, work and I interestingly I assumed the banners only visible in the stock netgear firmware could be responsible because they are only in the original. Could you advise why even stock firmware seems on the 7800s seem to start kicking users. The radio still broadcasts but I performed:

nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

and then had to run the forced preliminary setup until I was able to input the net gear stock firmware. From stock I did run restore the backups come to think of it. Is there a way to get them stable again so maybe in a few days I will venture out again...

Sincerely
#1 fan :) thank you

I suggest you again do:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
OK but I cannot run those commands from stock as there is no telnet availability to my knowledge.

OK but I cannot run those commands from stock as there is no telnet availability to my knowledge.
Run them from @Voxel ‘s
You can fresh install latest Voxel, go telnet and run the commands from there.

I suggest you again do:
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| \ | (_) __ _| |__ | |_| |__ __ ___ _| | _| |
| \| | |/ _` | '_ \| __| '_ \ / _` \ \ /\ / / |/ / |
| |\ | | (_| | | | | |_| | | | (_| |\ V V /| <|_|
|_| \_|_|\__, |_| |_|\__|_| |_|\__,_| \_/\_/ |_|\_(_)
|___/

root@R7800:/$
root@R7800:/$ nvram default
killall: traffic_meter: no process killed

This no process killed dialog .. i see a lot is this a problem?

If you run Netgear firmware this is the wrong thread.
This is for Voxel FW only.
PS
Traffic meter should be off, as it might kill your router flash memory.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|___/

If you run Netgear firmware this is the wrong thread.
This is for Voxel FW only.
PS
Traffic meter should be off, as it might kill your router flash memory.
Thank you; I am running voxel and have performed the reset. I can only run these telnet commands from voxel to my knowledge. I cannot access traffic meter settings in AP mode though and both my 7800s are in AP mode and provide that error.

Ultimately I don't want to run netgear firmwares.. the thought crossed my mind that something was lingering in memory from voxel/kamoj menu and was going to use netgear firmware for a couple days to see if I could stay connected and confirm physical function and not faulty hardware because even the stock was causing issues after approx 1 day. I have forgone that seeing that the issues probably stemmed from utilizing restore function like you indicated ...

Thank you, I do think this experience will highlight for others just how back the backup files can be causing these issues on top of recent Netgear stock firmwares running voxel.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|___/

No, it just means that a script tried to kill a process that was not running. More a warning than an error, so no worries here.

independently of that answer, I second @kamoj and highly recommend you to check that you have traffic meter off.

No, it just means that a script tried to kill a process that was not running. More a warning than an error, so no worries here.

independently of that answer, I second @kamoj and highly recommend you to check that you have traffic meter off.
The only unit of the 3 that has traffic meter option is the router and not the r7800 access points ... I am not having anywhere near the issues I have had with the r9000 that I do with the r7800's which have the traffic meter grayed out. I have disabled the traffic meter on the r9000 (despite not presently being an issue). So far everything seems fine after nvram default, nvram commit, reboot on latest voxel. on the r7800's ... I will post again in a day or to if this completely rectifies the issue.

Thank you so much community; I really mean it !

Well utilizing this protocol I was able to get the
The only unit of the 3 that has traffic meter option is the router and not the r7800 access points ... I am not having anywhere near the issues I have had with the r9000 that I do with the r7800's which have the traffic meter grayed out. I have disabled the traffic meter on the r9000 (despite not presently being an issue). So far everything seems fine after nvram default, nvram commit, reboot on latest voxel. on the r7800's ... I will post again in a day or to if this completely rectifies the issue.

Thank you so much community; I really mean it !
OK so for an update, I have left only Voxel on for 2 days and everything was Golden until the major wind storm occurred here this morning (Vancouver BC). When the power went out, all the devices went down. A few major things that happened were

A) the r9000, experienced the issue it always does on any firmware which is unless you software reset via the reboot button, a power cycle causes an issue when the next boot freezes during or near the POST sequence before the unit is fully booted. The solution is simple but odd. Perhaps some has some insight on the matter. Essentially because I use the SFP+ port the only solution is to take the fiber cable off and pull the eject bar and reattach the two together. Now the unit will finish the boot process and the wifi lights will come on and of course this time the WAN light is off. I can then insert the SFP+ module and in a few minutes I am back online.
The problem here is a power outage when I am not at home would mean that someone would have to perform this sequence to return it to full operation which is a slight drawback, which I guess could be a major issue one day if I can't explain how to do this protocol over the phone.

B) both the r7800's had SIMILAR but not the same wifi issues I was experiencing before. This time I noticed how the symptoms differed though. Although both units fully launched and were accessible the homepage said the wireless was online on both units. But I couldn't even attempt to connect with one as on my android device I couldn't click the line item for the router. The other would attempt connection but would drop immediately. I tried many times and other devices were the same one would drop immediately the other wouldn't even attempt to connect. Power cycling didn't fix it multiple times until I shut off both units and turned on one at a time with the cables detached, attaching them after the unit had fully launched.

One thing that crossed my mind is that I have unit regular lan port from the r9000 to Wan port on the r7800, the second r7800, is then connected from lan port to Wan port. They both also work when I don't use any wan ports but that seems incorrect in my mind. Is there a preferred configuration for attaching access-points? Should I avoid Wan ports altogether?

Anyways this is long winded again but I want to say that this time it worked after NVRAM default, NVRAM commit and NO restore from backup... This changes everything !!

What I would want to say to a new user or anyone else is :

1) Like Kamoj had said DO NOT EVER use restore function its broken and the symptoms are NOT apparent for sometimes many hours and normally when you are least expecting it. Which as you can imagine is CRITICAL with a router. Having 3 just made this even more complicated. Compounded even further with the next point.

2) There are SOME issues that are able to be overcome that appear similar to the first issue. In this case the issues are resolved by what I discussed in this article.

3) In the past I would assume this was the same critical issue which we have seen from restoring an old firmware. Not knowing of the the issues with the firmware restore, I would simply start all over and being that the setup takes hours I would attempt a backup, restore. : AGAIN NEVER DO THIS :)

Once again respect is paramount and love the help immensely.

Thank you guys

Last edited:
You might be onto something. I had trouble using the WAN port on my second R7800 as an AP when it was connected to the primary router. I switched to using a LAN port and have never had problems since. And the problems I had were similar to what you have described here.

In Bridge/AP mode the WAN port has been reported as problematic elsewhere for a variety of reasons.
You probably want to avoid using it in your configuration.

Well utilizing this protocol I was able to get the

OK so for an update, I have left only Voxel on for 2 days and everything was Golden until the major wind storm occurred here this morning (Vancouver BC). When the power went out, all the devices went down. A few major things that happened were

A) the r9000, experienced the issue it always does on any firmware which is unless you software reset via the reboot button, a power cycle causes an issue when the next boot freezes during or near the POST sequence before the unit is fully booted. The solution is simple but odd. Perhaps some has some insight on the matter. Essentially because I use the SFP+ port the only solution is to take the fiber cable off and pull the eject bar and reattach the two together. Now the unit will finish the boot process and the wifi lights will come on and of course this time the WAN light is off. I can then insert the SFP+ module and in a few minutes I am back online.
The problem here is a power outage when I am not at home would mean that someone would have to perform this sequence to return it to full operation which is a slight drawback, which I guess could be a major issue one day if I can't explain how to do this protocol over the phone.

B) both the r7800's had SIMILAR but not the same wifi issues I was experiencing before. This time I noticed how the symptoms differed though. Although both units fully launched and were accessible the homepage said the wireless was online on both units. But I couldn't even attempt to connect with one as on my android device I couldn't click the line item for the router. The other would attempt connection but would drop immediately. I tried many times and other devices were the same one would drop immediately the other wouldn't even attempt to connect. Power cycling didn't fix it multiple times until I shut off both units and turned on one at a time with the cables detached, attaching them after the unit had fully launched.

One thing that crossed my mind is that I have unit regular lan port from the r9000 to Wan port on the r7800, the second r7800, is then connected from lan port to Wan port. They both also work when I don't use any wan ports but that seems incorrect in my mind. Is there a preferred configuration for attaching access-points? Should I avoid Wan ports altogether?

Anyways this is long winded again but I want to say that this time it worked after NVRAM default, NVRAM commit and NO restore from backup... This changes everything !!

What I would want to say to a new user or anyone else is :

1) Like Kamoj had said DO NOT EVER use restore function its broken and the symptoms are NOT apparent for sometimes many hours and normally when you are least expecting it. Which as you can imagine is CRITICAL with a router. Having 3 just made this even more complicated. Compounded even further with the next point.

2) There are SOME issues that are able to be overcome that appear similar to the first issue. In this case the issues are resolved by what I discussed in this article.

3) In the past I would assume this was the same critical issue which we have seen from restoring an old firmware. Not knowing of the the issues with the firmware restore, I would simply start all over and being that the setup takes hours I would attempt a backup, restore. : AGAIN NEVER DO THIS :)

Once again respect is paramount and love the help immensely.

Thank you guys
After next to no wireless drops I added Kamoj menu to the three devices last night; the r9000 rebooted and maintained flawlessly; the r7800's was a different story.

Because my setup is port 2 -> r7800 wan, Port 1 to -> r7800(2) wan port... They were messed up. I am using DHCP on both access points, perhaps this is an issue.

One thing I have now nearly isolated is that when the ONLY way to bring back the r7800's is to shut off both. Disconnect the cables, reboot after 2 minutes reconnect r7800 #1, wait, (then cable connect) now, boot r7800 #2, wait (then cable connect)... If I try anything else it simply messes up the entire network. So even with proper configuration (ie not implementing implied corrupt restore setting from backup.) r9000 has the issue (A) during power outage not during software reboot. The r7800's have issues unless cables are disconnected and reconnected (IN ORDER, ie r7800 (#1) -> fully finished r7800 (#2)): It still seems better suited to never use the WAN ports as well. Although this still doesnt fix the issue. Perhaps if everything works after a few days granted no power outage I will switch to static IP assignment instead of DHCP..

Sending love and respect to this community

Thanks you

Hi Kamoj, thank you for the add on and frequent releases.

I'm experiencing an issue running Surfshark VPN. Whenever I activate the VPN, all devices on my network that are not bypassing the VPN lose connection or experience intense instability. I tested turning various features on and off, as well as frequent reboots and clearing the NVRAM at one point. The issue persists, and seems to be exclusive to turning VPN on.

Router status shows all normal (DNSCrypt Proxy 2 and OpenVPN Client status checks) except DNS status is in an ERROR state. The single error I found in the log:

Sat Nov 21 01:07:06 2020 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:7: block-outside-dns (2.4.9)

Full log attached as a txt file.

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800
Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.80.5SF
Kamoj Add-on V5.4b10

Please let me know if I can provide further information. Thank you again!

Attachments

• R7800 Full VPN Log.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 134

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!