What's new

Kamoj Kamoj add-on V5 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't have the R9000 myself for testing, but I know that it's port 1 and 2 are to be used for bonding etc,
so I advice you to test and not use port 1 and 2 in the R9000 for connecting R7800.

And as in many post - don't use the WAN-port in the R7800 when used as AP.
After next to no wireless drops I added Kamoj menu to the three devices last night; the r9000 rebooted and maintained flawlessly; the r7800's was a different story.

Because my setup is port 2 -> r7800 wan, Port 1 to -> r7800(2) wan port... They were messed up. I am using DHCP on both access points, perhaps this is an issue.

One thing I have now nearly isolated is that when the ONLY way to bring back the r7800's is to shut off both. Disconnect the cables, reboot after 2 minutes reconnect r7800 #1, wait, (then cable connect) now, boot r7800 #2, wait (then cable connect)... If I try anything else it simply messes up the entire network. So even with proper configuration (ie not implementing implied corrupt restore setting from backup.) r9000 has the issue (A) during power outage not during software reboot. The r7800's have issues unless cables are disconnected and reconnected (IN ORDER, ie r7800 (#1) -> fully finished r7800 (#2)): It still seems better suited to never use the WAN ports as well. Although this still doesnt fix the issue. Perhaps if everything works after a few days granted no power outage I will switch to static IP assignment instead of DHCP..

Sending love and respect to this community

Thanks you

Reactions: KW.
I don't have a Surfshark account and can not test it.
(I had a free account when implementing the add-on - thank you Surfshark!)

But Surshark are doing some strange things.
E.g. :
The .ovpn client configurations they distribute uses AES-256-CBC,
but their servers AES-256-GCM.
If it prefers GCM it should prefer TLSv1.3, but uses TLSv1.2.
Also they apparently use ping settings, instead of eg "keepalive".

According to OpenVPN documentation Surfshark is pushing you a Windows command that is not accepted in the router (Linux!):
--block-outside-dns Block DNS servers on other network adapters to prevent DNS leaks. This option prevents any application from accessing TCP or UDP port 53 except one inside the tunnel. It uses Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and works on Windows Vista or later.
This option is considered unknown on non-Windows platforms and unsupported on Windows XP, resulting in fatal error. You may want to use --setenv opt or --ignore-unknown-option (not suitable for Windows XP) to ignore said error. Note that pushing unknown options from server does not trigger fatal errors.

To avoid this error, add one of this line to the .ovpn-file:
ignore-unknown-option block-outside-dns

I think you should talk to Surfshark support about your issues,
and please come back here in the forum with updates!
I'll of course update my add-on if there is anything I can do to help.

Hi Kamoj, thank you for the add on and frequent releases.

I'm experiencing an issue running Surfshark VPN. Whenever I activate the VPN, all devices on my network that are not bypassing the VPN lose connection or experience intense instability. I tested turning various features on and off, as well as frequent reboots and clearing the NVRAM at one point. The issue persists, and seems to be exclusive to turning VPN on.

Router status shows all normal (DNSCrypt Proxy 2 and OpenVPN Client status checks) except DNS status is in an ERROR state. The single error I found in the log:

Sat Nov 21 01:07:06 2020 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:7: block-outside-dns (2.4.9)

Full log attached as a txt file.

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800
Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.80.5SF
Kamoj Add-on V5.4b10

Please let me know if I can provide further information. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Hello again, the wifi connection has become unstable on the r7800s after Kamoj addon was implemented. This is during AP point mode. I think it may have to do with the menus getting shuffled into different locations. A few notable glitches can be seen in the graphics. Although enable 5ghz box was selected the home menu said wifi Off. Even when I could get wifi on the network either a) would not broadcast, b) after many reboots broadcast but not be able to handshake or c) work for a fairly short period before dropping off. It is important to note that during the use of Voxel firmware from Sun- Sat, these issues were not apparent.

I have attempted an : nvram default, nvram commit, reboot (immediately) at this point the wifi seemed to function until access point mode.. When the menus shifted around..

Thank you Kamoj

Attachments

• cli[.JPG
    cli[.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 194
  • clip 2.JPG
    clip 2.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 213
Thank you for your support and perseverance!

You don't have to use the browser at all.
Close all router windows and browser, then they can not affect what's happening.

Uninstall the add-on and try another browser.

Have you made configuration backups before and after each change in the GUI?
If you do this you don't need to do "nvram default", but can instead restore the working backed up configuration!!!
What are the sizes of your backup-files?
What single change make things go bad?
Note that you can not use the same backup to both your R7800.
(They have settings unique per router.)

Have you checked the status of your flash memories? Maybe your HW(s) is/are broken after power-outs e.g.?
(Advanced: Kamoj Menu: System Information: flash info : show)

Since you are a beta tester I expect you to do some systematic testing and report your results.
Since you have issues no-one else have reported you need to do much of the work yourself.

If you want to leave the beta program, I'm sorry the add-on is not for you, but I understand you perfectly.
You can also try another older version of the add-on, for complementary test results.

Hello again, the wifi connection has become unstable on the r7800s after Kamoj addon was implemented. This is during AP point mode. I think it may have to do with the menus getting shuffled into different locations. A few notable glitches can be seen in the graphics. Although enable 5ghz box was selected the home menu said wifi Off. Even when I could get wifi on the network either a) would not broadcast, b) after many reboots broadcast but not be able to handshake or c) work for a fairly short period before dropping off. It is important to note that during the use of Voxel firmware from Sun- Sat, these issues were not apparent.

I have attempted an : nvram default, nvram commit, reboot (immediately) at this point the wifi seemed to function until access point mode.. When the menus shifted around..

Thank you Kamoj

Hi, the kamoj plugin link included in the first post is compatible with last Voxel's firmware V1.0.2.80.5SF? Or, what is the correct kamoj version to download? I dont find the plugin in the Voxel site, as I supposed (wrongly I think :D )
I've already tried to install the plugin in the first post but I noticed some strange things (amber led on wan, no adguard / wireguard feature, stubby activated only after several clicks on it).

Yes, this version is in large still compatible with latest Voxel,
but much has happened since the add-on was released as a Christmas gift.
Maybe there will be another official release for/before this Christmas as well!

Here you can read about current development:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-beta-testing.67375/
Hi, the kamoj plugin link included in the first post is compatible with last Voxel's firmware V1.0.2.80.5SF? Or, what is the correct kamoj version to download? I dont find the plugin in the Voxel site, as I supposed (wrongly I think :D )
I've already tried to install the plugin in the first post but I noticed some strange things (amber led on wan, no adguard / wireguard feature, stubby activated only after several clicks on it).

Hi kamoj,
thanks for your fast reply. I had already seen the link you posted, but it seems only for beta testers and that generally means "knowledges of what you will do, time and risk of having problems". That's why I have not asked to be one of them... my r7800 is the main home router, it has to be stable and maintanable if I dont want to be killed by my very patient wife which named it "the four-horned box" (maybe I should buy another one for testing, I let you imagine what it means in a family).
I will try once again the stable version (if I may, call it stable as Voxel suggested somewhere, I need some time to understand the difference between the official v5 beta e the beta testing program of the v5.x :D) even if the problem I had and named (menù missed) surprised me (can I report you some log of the install?)
Keep going with this good work!!!!

I think if you want to use Kamojs addon allready you should use the newer version. Not just because all functionalites but it is as Kamoj said before allot more testet, and few bugs if any. And to my knowledge not any critical bug that would make your wife dangerous for you. :)

Hi kamoj,
thanks for your fast reply. I had already seen the link you posted, but it seems only for beta testers and that generally means "knowledges of what you will do, time and risk of having problems". That's why I have not asked to be one of them... my r7800 is the main home router, it has to be stable and maintanable if I dont want to be killed by my very patient wife which named it "the four-horned box" (maybe I should buy another one for testing, I let you imagine what it means in a family).
I will try once again the stable version (if I may, call it stable as Voxel suggested somewhere, I need some time to understand the difference between the official v5 beta e the beta testing program of the v5.x :D) even if the problem I had and named (menù missed) surprised me (can I report you some log of the install?)

The "official" add-on v5 in this thread is a BETA version as well :oops: .
The first line of this topic is:
Introduction:

THIS IS A BETA VERSION

This topic's version is much less tested (by me, that is - I have no idea of how many lurking users there are) than the 5.4beta "stable master staging".

A big difference is that I do not support or update this version.o_O
One reason for the new v5.4b still being a beta is that I don't have time to give much user support,
and expect beta testers to think twice before they ask for help, and at least try to find the culprit - if any.
I think it's quite fair that not only my time is used, but that add-on users help with the development,
and as it's free both of charge and any type of protection.

I'm glad for your message and your "thanks":), and hope you will find a "stable" version giving you the functionality you need.
Else now in "Black Week/Friday" there are many good router offers out there!

Stay safe

Hi kamoj,

Last edited:
I don't have the R9000 myself for testing, but I know that it's port 1 and 2 are to be used for bonding etc,
so I advice you to test and not use port 1 and 2 in the R9000 for connecting R7800.

And as in many post - don't use the WAN-port in the R7800 when used as AP.
r7800's up for 4 days latest Kamoj Voxel on latest netgear.. The hardware was ALWAYS %100! .. .

the issue was resolved by an;

nvram default,
nvram commit
reboot ;
unselecting HT160, (for 2 days),

and disabling http://<router IP>/debug.htm disable Enable 11k.. ....

After 2 days reenabled HT160 ...

all units fully functional and no issues; what-so-ever ...

I hope this helps others as these units were nearly garbage in t
terms of function and now I have proven a solution ...

THANK EVERYONE, I can rest now.. as I reported my findings to the community :)

Last edited:
Hello once more,
Second post in a row for me.
One big thank you for the add on.
I installed Voxel firmware last night and I just installed the addon in order to enable HDD spin down.
You guys are great and totally raise our routers to a new level with your work.

I have one silly question: I try to enable HDD Spin down but when I check it and selecting 20min the logon window pops up and immediately disappears with Chrome. With Opera I can enter my password and username but then it asks me to enter the routers serial to reset password.
What I do wrong?
Thanks once more

Welcome and thank yo for sharing your experience!
You do nothing wrong...

Try this (from the kamoj FAQ):

Q: As soon as I open or interact with OpenVPN or DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking I get a admin/password request
pop up which only goes away after I click cancel, and I'm sent to the password reset page.
I have tried different browsers and privacy modes with same issue.

A: That problem others have even with Netgear stock firmware (You can search Netgear forum a.o.).
Netgear has had many problems with different character sets through the years and their html code is a
"jungle" of tries to fix it.
I have not been able to correct the issue in the add-on yet - sorry!
A solution is to CHANGE password (NOT just enter your old credentials), or it will stay bad until you do.
Use a password without non-alphanumeric characters. Especially "$" should be avoided.
You should try to not use any of these characters in the password:
"Non-English-characters,$,!, <, >, @, %, *,?, .,+,-,/,|,\,&,=,',",`,´"
If it starts working then add "strange" characters one by one till you find out the "bad" one.
I have one silly question: I try to enable HDD Spin down but when I check it and selecting 20min the logon window pops up and immediately disappears with Chrome. With Opera I can enter my password and username but then it asks me to enter the routers serial to reset password.
What I do wrong?

You do nothing wrong...
Thank you very much for your support!!
I just changed my router's password replacing it with a 20 character password not using any symbols.
I upgraded to Voxel's firmware 1.0.2.80.7 and then reinstalled the add-on.
It is working perfectly now.
I have a Seagate Backup Plus Hub Desktop 8TB and even its Seagate led goes off after 10 minutes.
Waking the disk up is also very fast so I'm really happy about this new feature.

I must really thank you for taking the time to report back here! :)
Thank you very much for your support!!
I just changed my router's password replacing it with a 20 character password not using any symbols.
I upgraded to Voxel's firmware 1.0.2.80.7 and then reinstalled the add-on.
It is working perfectly now.
I have a Seagate Backup Plus Hub Desktop 8TB and even its Seagate led goes off after 10 minutes.
Waking the disk up is also very fast so I'm really happy about this new feature.

Hello all,

i am running kamoj v5.0 on my Netgear r9000 with Voxel V1.0.4.46HF since two days and need to highlight this game changing addon to break the big firewall! It works fine with Astrill. Just copy the .ovpn file content (from member - vpn support section on Astrill website) into the addon GUI with the following modification:

Remove these lines:
max-routes
link-mtu
block-outside-dns
verb

Add these lines:
data-ciphers AES-256-CBC:AES-256-GCM
allow-compression yes
verb 4

Thanks kamoj for your support and this great addon!

Hi

I'm running 5.3b30 and am intrigued as to the function of "Route To Other Net (E.g. Modem in NAT Off/Bridge Mode)" function under Kamoj Menu/Settings.
The "IP to route " field is greyed out, as are the Ok and Reset buttons underneath and I can't fathom how to ungrey them, if that's a word. I scanned the readme and the thread OP but can't find any reference to it.

I'm hoping that it's a way for my router, that is acting as an AP (but not in AP-only mode), can route to the internet so that I can download the latest Kamoj add-on without fiddling about with USB sticks. ;-)

Sorry, but the function is not there yet. :oops:
It was just a place holder and way to see how much interest there was - not much.
Hi

I'm running 5.3b30 and am intrigued as to the function of "Route To Other Net (E.g. Modem in NAT Off/Bridge Mode)" function under Kamoj Menu/Settings.
The "IP to route " field is greyed out, as are the Ok and Reset buttons underneath and I can't fathom how to ungrey them, if that's a word. I scanned the readme and the thread OP but can't find any reference to it.

I'm hoping that it's a way for my router, that is acting as an AP (but not in AP-only mode), can route to the internet so that I can download the latest Kamoj add-on without fiddling about with USB sticks. ;-)

LOL.
But was my guess at the "Look at what you could have won" functionality anywhere near close? I think it'd be very handy. I suppose I could just add a manual static route if that is possible ...

When Netgear releases a firmware must we, flash Netgear, Voxel and then Kamoj or do we flash Voxel and Kamoj.

Thank you snk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!