What's new

Kamoj Kamoj information add-on V3 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10 (Temperatures a.o.)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So why do you post this in this thread?
I suggest you either make sure it is because of the add-on or find/start another thread.
That way you can reach many more viewers/helpers.

... Have no the slightest idea whether it has anything to do with add-on but

I believe the issue is surrounding the process of installing the add-on at install time and or reboot time after add-on is inststall. Again, the R7800 has a stable IP address, while in bridge mode and BEFORE adding the add-on. The DCHP IP address disappeared after doing the reboot from the telnet window after installing the add-on. The R7800 rebooted back to ready, giving Internet access, however the R7800 DCHP IP address was no longer accessible or seen on the network. The factory reset and reboot re-enabled the DCHP IP address and it was accessible.

I think it's easier to uninstall the add-on then "resetup everything from scratch again".

If you really want to help, please try isolate the problem by disabling add-on functions, one-by one.
See first posting:
Spoiler: How to change change add-on behaviour, using nvram variables

There is a certain bug in Netgear stock firmware causing things to start in the wrong order at boot.
This bug e.g. makes some of Voxels openvpn-client optimizations to not have any effect unless you stop and start the client again.
The Netgear code is full of patches trying to fix problems with AP/Bridge mode.

Can you try run these commands after installing the add-on, and see if there is any change?

Code:
nvram set kamoj_no_show_idle=1
nvram commit
reboot

I believe the issue is surrounding the process of installing the add-on at install time and or reboot time after add-on is inststall. Again, the R7800 has a stable IP address, while in bridge mode and BEFORE adding the add-on. The DCHP IP address disappeared after doing the reboot from the telnet window after installing the add-on. The R7800 rebooted back to ready, giving Internet access, however the R7800 DCHP IP address was no longer accessible or seen on the network. The factory reset and reboot re-enabled the DCHP IP address and it was accessible.

Ok, will check this out on next install. Ya, NG is kind of a mess these days in FW development. :oops:

I am not using that feature (except just one attempt based on NG support request) and have no time right now to test it more thoroughly so that was just a heads up message. Anyway agree thread might not be the best one.

So why do you post this in this thread?
I suggest you either make sure it is because of the add-on or find/start another thread.
That way you can reach many more viewers/helpers.

Another feature proposal. Might be good to have single table showing details of all connected clients. Something like /DEV_show_device.htm but with additional columns of signal strength and distinguishing between 2.4 and 5 GHz clients. Optionally connection speed.

Anyway current DEV_show_device.htm is listing only subset of connected devices.

Thank you for the information.
I'm too busy to analyze this much, but this is another Netgear bug.
You are correct, 5 GHz are not shown, and probably not devices connected through the VPN-server either.

Should be fixed in stock - or ;) Voxel FW.

A quick and dirty workaround if you want to test is to run this command at the router prompt:
Code:
sed -i 's/parent.an_router_flag/1/g' /www/DEV_show_device.htm
Uninstall the fix with:
Code:
\cp -p /rom/www/DEV_show_device.htm /www/DEV_show_device.htm

Looks like it's showing only wired and 2.4Ghz skipping 5GHz.

Still unclear to me if this is the router's issue or the Netgear switch given the other smart switches work fine. If it is the router, your add on for the router does fix the symptom, maybe those ARP cache settings can be tweaked by Voxel in the actual FW. Doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue so might not be worth doing.

"showing details of all connected clients."

If I'm reading that correctly I asked for something similar. This information should already be in the FW. Even a cheap TP Link my brother has will show you the status of wireless connected clients connection.

Another aspect of this connected clients thing regarding status is being able to sort the display. My Asus routers be it Tomato or Rmerlins could sort as desired between alpha name ascending to descending or IP address, same ascending to descending. Same in the Static DHCP table listing.

Netgear's current display is sorely lacking.

I have not had any demands for this yet, that is why nothing has happened.
I'm being away now so it will not happen this month though.
Hi Kamoj
Any idea when we will have policy based routing? Bypass vPn for specific devices? Possibly Mac address related?

I have not had any demands for this yet, that is why nothing has happened.
I'm being away now so it will not happen this month though.
Also waiting for bypass VPN for specific devices via GUI. Will be very, very useful if/when implemented :)

No problem, I've been using it myself for more than a year.
I'll release it with Voxel's help, soon.
Possible some minor bugfixes as well.
E.g.:
  • A workaround for Netgear's bug when determining ext4 file system and better handling of USB-devices with more than one partition.
  • Fix for the bug in DEV_show_device.htm described above.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!