What's new

Kasa outdoor plug and the mystery of the disappearing 2.4 band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ST13

New Around Here
Hello all.

I have an Asus Blue Cave AC2600 that I am running on the firmware 2 before most recent - per this thread about that topic: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/issues-with-latest-blue-cave-firmware.62959/
All has been fine since and I've added more Hue lights, a Kasa dimmer switch, etc etc. to it - again without problems a restart couldn't fix.

Enter the TP-Link Kasa Smart Outdoor Plug KP400. I got this to control my outdoor christmas lights of course (bc hey, tis the season). I clearly already had a Kasa switch on it so I figured this too would work without issue. Nope.
When I tried to set it up it made my 2.4 band go completely poof. Figuring the band was overloaded I moved some smart devices to the 5ghz band, even turned some off during setup etc. ...Nope..same thing again. So, I tried the factory reset route. Surprise, surprise, setup now works and all previously connected devices connect as well.

So now I try to change my channel because I live in a very congested area...as soon as I do that (or seemingly change any setting) my 2.4 goes poof again. The only way to bring it back to do a factory reset and start all over again. Which might be okay if it wasn't for the fact I get absolutely horrid speeds on especially the 2.4 without changing some settings around. I am at a loss. Is this an issue with the Kasa plug or is there something I am missing on the router that would cause this behavior? In other words..should I ditch the plug or is it a sign I am reaching the limits of the Blue Cave somehow?

Appreciate any help!

:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!