What's new

FlexQoS kernel: ERR[create_app_ses_leaf:3155] Failed to allocate htb class!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsnb

Very Senior Member
My logs are filled with this message for the last several days:

Code:
May 12 22:12:31 kernel: ERR[create_app_ses_leaf:3155] Failed to allocate htb class!
May 12 22:12:31 kernel: ERR[app_accumulate:3328] Failed to create qos tc class for this session!
May 12 22:12:31 kernel: ERR[create_app_ses_leaf:3155] Failed to allocate htb class!
May 12 22:12:31 kernel: ERR[app_accumulate:3328] Failed to create qos tc class for this session!
May 12 22:12:32 kernel: ERR[create_app_ses_leaf:3155] Failed to allocate htb class!
May 12 22:12:32 kernel: ERR[app_accumulate:3328] Failed to create qos tc class for this session!
May 12 22:12:32 kernel: ERR[create_app_ses_leaf:3155] Failed to allocate htb class!
May 12 22:12:32 kernel: ERR[app_accumulate:3328] Failed to create qos tc class for this session!

Since my current runtime is 407 days, I'm sure at least a reboot is in order but I'm curious what causes this before I 'ruin' the state it's in. Google turns up zero results.

Try changing QoS Mode from fq_codel to ASUS in FlexQoS.

Adaptive QoS is detecting some specialized application traffic (e.g. streaming) and trying to create a special htb class structure to prioritize it, but fq_codel mode changes the htb setup. I never saw it complain before, however.

Try changing QoS Mode from fq_codel to ASUS in FlexQoS.

Adaptive QoS is detecting some specialized application traffic (e.g. streaming) and trying to create a special htb class structure to prioritize it, but fq_codel mode changes the htb setup. I never saw it complain before, however.
The real question is, did it successfully create the HTB setup? Are the detection methods failing to detect the HTB's successful creation thus resulting in a creation loop that causes this ERROR? Is there away to investigate this further?

I don't think this error is due to network activity. I've been running FlexQoS for years and never seen this issue. It appears in the logs again immediately after restarting QoS, even in the middle of the night when no one's on except me. Like I was saying, it's probably not a big deal since it didn't happen until after 403 days of straight uptime, but I'm always interested to learn the cause of a failure. Sometimes you learn something during the course of investigating - even things you didn't set out to learn.

Are there any counters or something else that increments as time goes on that could run up against some limitation (like 32-bit signed integer or some such) given enough time and traffic?

403 days is amazing and dumb at the same time. Restarting QoS would be enough to reset tc counters.

If you want to capture anything, run:
Code:
tc -s qdisc
tc -s class show dev br0
tc -s class show dev eth0

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!