What's new

lack of name resolution when using OpenVPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Revelstone77

Regular Contributor
im using an AC86U running Merlins 382 code, but I've had this issue for quite a while. All windows network and when i travel i VPN into the home network but i cant connect to anything by name. works fine if i use the ip address. im usually using RDP to connect to another pc on the network. i end up needing to go into the the router, looking the client list to get the ip, then using RDP. not a deal breaker but would prefer to do it by name. its probably just a setting I'm missing but not sure what. I'm hoping someone has an idea.

thanks,

Never tried it before but it works for me. I have a Humax Foxsat on my LAN and I remotely entered http://foxsat into my browser and got the DVR’s webui.

In the Advanced VPN server settings, are the block of 4 starting with Push LAN to clients all set to Yes?

I got this working on my site to site VPN. 5 things you need to do

1. Enable the WINS server that Merlin added under the USB Application tab and also set as master browser (you only need 1 WINS server as master browser)
  2. Under LAN set a custom domain such as local.lan
  3. In your OpenVPN server you only need the GUI option selected for Client will use VPN to access Local network only *NOTE* you do not need to select push DNS or respond to DNS.
  4. In the Open VPN Advanced Settings > custom server config box you need to add these two lines
    1. push "dhcp-option WINS XXX.XXX.XXX.X"
      push "dhcp-option DOMAIN-SEARCH local.lan"
  5. On the client side enable accept DNS configuration to Strict.

Never tried it before but it works for me. I have a Humax Foxsat on my LAN and I remotely entered http://foxsat into my browser and got the DVR’s webui.

In the Advanced VPN server settings, are the block of 4 starting with Push LAN to clients all set to Yes?
sure do.

thanks, all four are set to yes

I got this working on my site to site VPN. 5 things you need to do

1. Enable the WINS server that Merlin added under the USB Application tab and also set as master browser (you only need 1 WINS server as master browser)
  2. Under LAN set a custom domain such as local.lan
  3. In your OpenVPN server you only need the GUI option selected for Client will use VPN to access Local network only *NOTE* you do not need to select push DNS or respond to DNS.
  4. In the Open VPN Advanced Settings > custom server config box you need to add these two lines
    1. push "dhcp-option WINS XXX.XXX.XXX.X"
      push "dhcp-option DOMAIN-SEARCH local.lan"
  5. On the client side enable accept DNS configuration to Strict.
question, under Lan, I'm not seeing anywhere to set a custom domain unless under DHCP server you are referring to RT-AC86U's Domain name?

I don't see an option under USB applications for a WINS Server, I am running 384.5 on an RT-AC68U. Am I missing something or is it not available in this version of the firmware

Did some more searching and found it USB Application > Media Services and Servers > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk

I have two RT-AC68U routers on two different sub-nets; one is set as an Openvpn server and the others is the Openvpn client, I can ping any device from either end and get a response, so routing is working bi-bidirectionally. From the client to the server I can also ping any device on the server end by DNS name, but I can not get DNS name resolution to work from the server back to the client router. I currently do not have wins running on either router as it is my understanding the Windows 10 1803 no longer uses wins for network discovery. Anyone got any suggestions on how I can get DNS resolution to work from the Openvpn server back to the Openvpn client router so that I have bidirectional DNS name resolution.

I'm having a similar situation and under usb application - network place share/ cloud disk, I set the following:
enable share: on
allow guest login: off
max # of concurrent connections: 5
device name: ASUS
work group: WORKGROUP
samba protocol version: smbv1 + v2
simpler share naming: yes
force as master browser: yes
set as wins server: yes

and I also included this to my custom configuration in openvpn:
"push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.1.1" "

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!