What's new

latest Merlin on rtn-66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcozzi

Occasional Visitor
Am I the only one plagued by random reboot? Often once a day.

Thought I should add... I did a reset and set up again manually. with no modifications.

Last edited:
Specify exactly what firmware version you're using. Latest is meaningless.

Frequent random reboots are usually a sign of failing hardware, as this model's firmware is quite stable by now.

Likely power related than - I've got three RT-N66U's deployed and no issues with any of them. All connected to the battery side of a UPS.

You can find similar power supplies on Amazon and eBay, but be careful to get one with the right diameter plug. Not all models are the same.

Dang it, same router rebooted this morning. Guess I have to look for replacement. Now to shop around, Budget precludes the latest and greatest. I like Asus routers.

Well, at least you ruled out one possibility. Few of us need the latest and greatest. I have a couple of dozen customers around St. Louis happily computing away and controlling their A/V systems via the RT-N66 series. Here at home I have an RT-AC68 main router with an RT-N66 added as an access point. I have no problems getting 135Mbps downloads from a connection rated by Charter Cable at 100Mbps, and no problems streaming HD videos videos from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

Well, at least you ruled out one possibility. Few of us need the latest and greatest. I have a couple of dozen customers around St. Louis happily computing away and controlling their A/V systems via the RT-N66 series. Here at home I have an RT-AC68 main router with an RT-N66 added as an access point. I have no problems getting 135Mbps downloads from a connection rated by Charter Cable at 100Mbps, and no problems streaming HD videos videos from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.
Funy you should say that. The RT-AC68P is what I am looking at, well within budget and looks to be as good or better performer.

The AC68 and its close cousin AC1900 are the current sweet spot in the tradeoff between cost and performance. The more expensive models seem to have some extra features and perhaps faster wired connections, but not much--if any--improvement has been documented in Wi-Fi coverage range.

PS: I am running John's Fork of the Merlin core on both of mine and most of our customers. Incredibly stable!

The AC68 and its close cousin AC1900 are the current sweet spot in the tradeoff between cost and performance. The more expensive models seem to have some extra features and perhaps faster wired connections, but not much--if any--improvement has been documented in Wi-Fi coverage range.

PS: I am running John's Fork of the Merlin core on both of mine and most of our customers. Incredibly stable!

Thanks everyone for the help. Update. I decided to try one more thing after PS switch did no good. I downloaded 380.65-4 again flashed and set up from scratch. It ran one day without reboot. In the meantime the new stable version came on line, so I flashed 380.66 Just because I knew I would go there anyway. Well now it has run 2.5 days no reboot. That is twice as long as before already. I'm feeling good about it now. I think maybe it was a bad original flash. Again thanks. You guys gave me the kick I needed to think it through.

Update.... Solved!.. IT DID IT AGAIN!! So then it finally dawned on me to go back to basics. I hadn't had an issue like this in a long time so the simplest most basic solution worked. Just like we've always been told. Shut down all routers, modems and computers. Turn on and complete start up of modem. After it has completed turn on and complete start up of router, them AP, then computers. After doing this everything has stayed connected without reboots for four days. That is why it took me so long to post this. 4 days is longer than it has stayed up since I added the new router and put modem in bridge mode. Yes I know with this kind of changes it should have occured to me sooner, it should have been part of original set up. DUH!!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!