What's new

Link tracking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rash_powder

New Around Here
Hello all!

First off I have to let you all know I am a total newbie at networking and not always as smart as I should be, so please keep that in mind. Small words help too.

I have an Asus 68P running the latest Merlin. The goal is to be able to track accessed IP against time. So, basically, what is accessed and when.

I followed the instructions here https://www.howtogeek.com/68886/how-to-configure-your-router-for-network-wide-url-logging/ and have found that opendns is working but I'm not sure that it can help me.

My laptop and the device I want to track have been given static IPs in the router. All of the traffic analasys and such has been activated in the router, and I have it saving the logs for that to a thumb drive.

Ideally I would be able to get the syslog file and use linklogger or wallwatcher to read that, but I can't find wallwatcher and I am not sure that the syslog files are going to my laptop. The router is set to send them to the IP assigned to my laptop and the computer is always on w/sleep and hibernate disabled. Where do the syslog go on the drive? Is there a way to have them go to the thumb drive so I can not need the laptop on always? Or, maybe there is just an easier way to do this? Maybe none at all?

Any kind of assistance would be helpful!

Thanks,
Matt

Hello all!

First off I have to let you all know I am a total newbie at networking and not always as smart as I should be, so please keep that in mind. Small words help too.

I have an Asus 68P running the latest Merlin. The goal is to be able to track accessed IP against time. So, basically, what is accessed and when.

I followed the instructions here https://www.howtogeek.com/68886/how-to-configure-your-router-for-network-wide-url-logging/ and have found that opendns is working but I'm not sure that it can help me.

My laptop and the device I want to track have been given static IPs in the router. All of the traffic analasys and such has been activated in the router, and I have it saving the logs for that to a thumb drive.

Ideally I would be able to get the syslog file and use linklogger or wallwatcher to read that, but I can't find wallwatcher and I am not sure that the syslog files are going to my laptop. The router is set to send them to the IP assigned to my laptop and the computer is always on w/sleep and hibernate disabled. Where do the syslog go on the drive? Is there a way to have them go to the thumb drive so I can not need the laptop on always? Or, maybe there is just an easier way to do this? Maybe none at all?

Any kind of assistance would be helpful!

Thanks,
Matt
I recall looking into this last year. But this does not work in 2017 since most websites are using https rather than http. The encryption prevents the web traffic from being logged. That is why the software mentioned in the article is no longer being maintained and supported.

As an alternative, you could use OpenDNS servers and create a free account with them. You can then run reports and stats that show you the number of times a website was visited. I think the you get ten to fourteen days of history. I would have to logon to my account to validate. You can also use it to blacklist specific websites or website categories.

Last edited:
As an alternative, you could use OpenDNS servers and create a free account with them. You can then run reports and stats that show you the number of times a website was visited. I think the you get ten to fourteen days of history. I would have to logon to my account to validate. You can also use it to blacklist specific websites or website categories.

A partial implementation would be to set up DNSMasq to break out into it's own log, and then export it to a syslog server...

On a linux box, set up ElasticSearch, Logstash, and Kibana to build up a nice little monitoring platform - might not catch the enter URL, but DNSmasq should log the hostname lookups...

Then of course, there's always setting up squid as a proxy, and log things there.

Personally, it's a lot of work for something that some folks might find to be a privacy concern.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!