What's new

Linksys EA8500 Max-Stream AC2600 MU-MIMO Smart Wi-Fi Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it's anything like the WRT1900ac, don't leave it running - login to check settings... and then logout
Thank You!! it seems to give me a snapshot though. But I'll take your advice.

Here you have Max Lee talking about the Router and some mobile clients that support it, by the way its a very interesting post you have here, keep upp the good work m8

Last edited:
Still running strong here on my ea8500.
I also am running perfectly, absolutely still no dead sots, no drops, no LAG, and 22 days with no reboots.

I also compared with my friends 87r (that lives in the same town,~4 miles away, same ISP, same 30m down 5 meg up, same cable modems) with ping plotter app (we both have iPhone 6 pluses) and the linksys consistently shows less latency, we tested at the same time, various times and days.

Interesting.. finally got a 5GHz capture on the EA8500...

Avoids the problematic UNII-2 band (DFS/TPC) that the FCC is so worried about, and also has the new and higher Tx limits...

nice... explains perhaps why the 5GHz feedback is positive with most folks ;)

see below - 30 dBm across the board, channels 36 thru 48 (UNII-1), channels 149 thru 165 (UNII-3) only (includes Ch 165, which is 11ac only, fwiw)

Code:
  Tag: Country Information: Country Code US, Environment Any
  Tag Number: Country Information (7)
  Tag length: 30
  Code: US
  Environment: Any (0x20)
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 36, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 36
  Number of Channels: 1
  Maximum Transmit Power Level (in dBm): 30
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 40, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 40
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 44, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 44
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 48, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 48
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 149, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 149
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 153, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 153
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 157, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 157
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 161, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 161
  Country Info: First Channel Number: 165, Number of Channels: 1, Maximum Transmit Power Level: 30 dBm
  First Channel Number: 165

Interesting - finally got a 2.4GHz packet dump of the EA8500...

This is the first time I've seen a QCA solution in the AC space, so thought it would be good to share...

This is the first 4*4:4 device I've seen in consumer space for 2.4GHz, and it's a beast, at least from a feature set, not much to tune on it, but probably not needed - default shows that LDPC's are supported, and Linksys hides STBC support in the advanced wireless page - turning that on, and running this in 11 b/g/n with narrow channels, and see very good performance in just about any network.

2.4 GHz (11 b/g/n/VHT) Notables:

1) Supports up to MCS31 (600Mbit/sec) as a 4*4:4 device - so consider without special sauce, it's N600 in 2.4GHz...

2) TurboQAM (VHT20/VHT40) - mixed bag here, but up to 808 Mbps (4SS, Wide), but in narrow channels, it maxes out at VHT MCS7 (72.2Mbit * 4SS = 288.8 Mbps), which is actually no different than 11n MCS31 in 20MHz - so no real benefit speedwise in narrow channels to run VHT mode

3) TurboQAM is advertised on the Beacon by using non-standard VHT stanzas (802.11ac is 2.4GHz only, so we shouldn't see it here, can lead to interop issues with some client implementations)

3) Like 5GHz, the EA8500 is 30 dBm across all channels (1-11 in the US config)

4) no beamforming in 2.4GHz, both for legacy and the non-standard VHT mode - for b/g/n space, this is probably a good thing.

5) 2.4Ghz extended capabilities - just noteworthy as don't often see these in consumer gear

Extended Capabilities: 0x0f (octet 3)
.... ...1 = TFS: Supported
.... ..1. = WNM-Sleep Mode: Supported
.... .1.. = TIM Broadcast: Supported
.... 1... = BSS Transition: Supported

Interesting - finally got a 2.4GHz packet dump of the EA8500...

This is the first time I've seen a QCA solution in the AC space, so thought it would be good to share...

Linksys hides STBC support in the advanced wireless page - turning that on, and running this in 11 b/g/n with narrow channels, and see very good performance in just about any network.
Hi,
I have been rebooting this router about every 30 days, I see some fluctuations, a tad of LAG show, but a reboot of this router fixes it. I can live with reboots every 30 days as all before would have to be or sooner. Most likely due to my sucky ISP, BUT in saying this, my EA8500 is still my most LAG free router to date.

On the STBC, are you saying you get better performance ? range? with it on in the 2.4?
I take it not the 5 Ghz section?
Thanks

On the STBC, are you saying you get better performance ? range? with it on in the 2.4?
I take it not the 5 Ghz section?

Try it and see... STBC's affect how MIMO works, but it's been around for a couple of years, and has most benefit for single radio/stream clients..

I picked up a EA8500 today and set it up and testing it out.

I originally had a Linksys ES300 that had no wifi stability issues, just not great range. Went to a ASUS 87R and had nothing but problems with wifi stability. Tried Merlin, and DD-WRT FW and like dfran1, would get it to stablize for a day or so and then it would go to hell. Put a laptop cooling fan under it and everything to try to figure out what was going on. Then went to a RT-AC3200. Was very pleased with it and it definitely reduced the wifi stability issue, but I did get a couple drops in a strong signal spot on mobile device while playing game similar to 87R.

Saw dfran1's feedback on the EA8500 and since the 3200 is still on 30 day Fry's Warranty, picked up a EA8500 cause always had good experiences with Linksys. Only had it up for approx. 3 hrs and everything is looking good so far. Will have the boys get onto wifi and hardwire linked PC and Laptop and start gaming to work it further.

The 5Ghz wifi is currently giving me Speedtest results of 89.62Mbps upload and 12.44 Mps download.
LAN Speedtest using Linksys Speed test from GUI - 86.5 Up and 11.60 Up.

Looking around in the GUI and trying to get used to it after coming from ASUS. It would be nice to have some Advanced function tabs. The ES3000 did.

I have it sitting on the laptop cooling pad again, but would also be nice to see operating Temps. It tends to get hot down here in Georgia and I like to keep an eye on the Temps.

Was just reading around on the Forum.

Are any of you using the DD-WRT FW for the EA8500 or just Stock ?

I'm thinking I may try it, just to get additional monitoring feature, but while reading I saw you would need "LOM's EA8500_webrevert.bin" file to go back to Stock if you run into any problems. I can not find where that file is located.

This device is so new - esp as an 802.11ac Wave 2 device, I would strongly suggest staying with the factory firmware..

Thanks sfx2000.

Curious, how did you pull the 5Ghz TX information above ? I have tried to ssh into the EA8500 but have not had any luck. That is what lead me down the DD-WRT route. I did not know if it had to be loaded to allow for that access, because I could not find anywhere in the router GUI where to activate telnet or ssh access like on the ASUS FW.

Was just reading around on the Forum.

Are any of you using the DD-WRT FW for the EA8500 or just Stock ?

I'm thinking I may try it, just to get additional monitoring feature, but while reading I saw you would need "LOM's EA8500_webrevert.bin" file to go back to Stock if you run into any problems. I can not find where that file is located.
I have the file and it is posted in this thread though you must be signed in to download it. I thought about trying it BUT I really like the QOS we get now with linksys firmware.

On linksys firmware
there is an advanced menu that linksys has and a info screen
add this to your web browser after you log in to your router locally.

/sysinfo.cgi

/ui/1.0.99.168206/dynamic/advanced-wireless.html

http://192.168.1.1/ui/1.0.99.168206/dynamic/advanced-wireless.html
or
http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

I have the file and it is posted in this thread though you must be signed in to download it. I thought about trying it BUT I really like the QOS we get now with linksys firmware.

On linksys firmware
there is an advanced menu that linksys has and a info screen
add this to your web browser after you log in to your router locally.

/sysinfo.cgi

/ui/1.0.99.168206/dynamic/advanced-wireless.html

http://192.168.1.1/ui/1.0.99.168206/dynamic/advanced-wireless.html
or
http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

Thanks !

I stumbled across the sysinfo.cgi, but did not know about the advanced link. Linksys should just add it as part of their next FW.

I have not activated QOS on the EA8500 yet cause always left it off on the ASUS routers. May have to try it out.

it's been just over 24hrs on the EA8500 with pretty much default settings and I have had no dropped connections on Android mobile devices.

On the ASUS 87R I had several per hour, fewer on the RT-AC3200 but still saw connection flickers. I have not seen any of these on the 8500.

2.4Ghz range has been comparable to the other 2 ASUS routers. 5Ghz range and signal has been slightly lower, but I have been staying on the 5Ghz wifi cause that is were I saw the connection issues even when I had a -49dbm signal. Currently in my office I have -55 dbm signal on the 5Ghz, however the mobile devices are stable.

Last edited:
Here are my settings, I see better 5GHz coverage, and most others do to, all my antennas are pointing straight up (though you may need to adjust).

my setup

-same SSID and password on both 2.4 and 5GHz (letters only, no special characters, and letters/numbers only in the password)

-WPA2 Personal on both bands

-Mixed mode on both bands

-Channel Width Auto on both bands

-Channel 1 on the 2.4 and 48 on the 5GHz

-No mac filtering enabled

-WiFi protected setup is off

-All devices have reserved IP addresses

-IP6 is disabled

-UPNP is enabled

-Guest access is turned off

Here are my settings, I see better 5GHz coverage, and most others do to, all my antennas are pointing straight up (though you may need to adjust).

my setup

-same SSID and password on both 2.4 and 5GHz (letters only, no special characters, and letters/numbers only in the password)

-WPA2 Personal on both bands

-Mixed mode on both bands

-Channel Width Auto on both bands

-Channel 1 on the 2.4 and 48 on the 5GHz

-No mac filtering enabled

-WiFi protected setup is off

-All devices have reserved IP addresses

-IP6 is disabled

-UPNP is enabled

-Guest access is turned off
My settings are are the same except for:

2 Different SSID names cause that's how I have always been told to do it.

I'm using Channel 6 for 2.4 and 149 for 5Ghz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!