What's new

Linksys WRT 610N Status Report

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Karlista

Occasional Visitor
Quick update: My new router seems to be working very well. On the 2.4GHz frequency, I have extremely good range and speed. Within the condo, my 3 laptops with N cards show speeds varing between 104 and 130. I assume that is pretty good perfromance.

FYI

I've had my 610N for like a week or so and I'm quite happy with it. I'm running 2.4ghz N and 5ghz N. Range has met/surpassed my expectations so far.

There are some quirks but I'm not sure yet who's at fault (OS, NIC, Router etc... etc)

Status update

The 610N is still performing very well. I am using both frequencies at the same time and don't see any performance issues. I am running the Axis camera on the 2.4GHz frequency and it seems to perfroming very well. For a non-techni, I am very proud that I was able to establish a wireless network for 3 laptops, a wireless all in one printer, and a security camera with no issues. Maybe there is hope for me :)

DD-WRT is opensource firmware to improve the router performance and to the routers features to max. Not for everyone as if you don't know how to install it correctly you could damage your wireless router. But if you follow the instructions then you'll have a better router with a stronger wireless signal.

Read up, if you like to learn about DD-WRT..
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

Are you running DD-WRT on a WRT610N Tipster? If you are, then what are your results with it? What exactly do you see working better than the current Linksys firmware for a normal user?

AFAIK, DD-WRT on the WRT610N is still very much a work in progress, and is only suitable for knowledgeable people who can afford to be beta testers. Even if it's working now, it's just working and hasn't been burned in widely and long enough to be entirely trustworthy.

The vast majority of people would be much better off with Linksys firmware, support, and warranty.

Not running the latest DD-WRT build on WRT610N but I do have build SVN revision 11762M NEWD Eko loaded onto a WRT600N, and 2 WRT160Ns.

Performance difference is like the difference between night and day. The stock Linksys firmware for the WRT600N was buggy and unstable in comparison to DD-WRT. Would never consider going back to the unstable Linksys firmware again!;)

Are you running DD-WRT on a WRT610N Tipster? If you are, then what are your results with it? What exactly do you see working better than the current Linksys firmware for a normal user?

AFAIK, DD-WRT on the WRT610N is still very much a work in progress, and is only suitable for knowledgeable people who can afford to be beta testers. Even if it's working now, it's just working and hasn't been burned in widely and long enough to be entirely trustworthy.

The vast majority of people would be much better off with Linksys firmware, support, and warranty.

No I don't have WRT-610N, but a buddy has the WRT-310N, I had installed DD-WRT on it for him.

First thing..

Download DD-WRT V24/SP2/11650.mini.bin
Download DD-WRT V24/SP2/11650.standard.bin
Use wired connection
Disable firewall
Disable AV
Disable Spwyare protection
Set NIC card to 10mbps

1. 30/30 unplug power/30 plug-in power reset (90 rest hold)
2. Flash router with DD-WRT V24/SP2/11650.mini.bin
3. type in user name and password 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
4. 30/30 unplug power/30 plug-in power reset (90 rest hold)
5. Flash router with DD-WRT V24/SP2/11650.standard.bin
6. type in user name and password 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
7. 30/30 unplug power/30 plug-in power reset (90 rest hold)

The reason for the above you want to erase the NVRAM in the router.
Reason you would use DD-WRT firmware is to increase performance in the wireless and if you use the router as the main router then results will vary.

Sent several e mails to DD-WRT

Since I am not a wireless nor computer techi like many of you on the board are, the questions I ask may appear to be extremely elementary and I apologize. I'm just a dumb dirt digging civil engineer. And being the simple minded person I am, I try to ask very basic questions so I can learn. So I have sent several e mails to DD-WRT asking what kind of performance improvements can I expect if I use their firmware. Well, so far, I haven't received what I consider straight answers and straight talk. So at the expense of embarrassing myself, here is my question. Will the DD-WRT firmware increase the transmission power and range of the WRT350N and WRT610N over the OEM firmware, and if so, by how much? It just seems to me that router throughput performance at a distant range should be a function of transmission power output (watts), antenna location, antenna gain, and maybe antenna directional / uni-directional function. Am I off base???

Thanks for putting up with me.

Last edited:
No one can give you a definitive answer or guarantee when it comes to wireless range and coverage questions. There are simply too many variables at work and even more when it comes to the technologies used in draft 802.11n, i.e. MIMO, packet bursting, data compression, etc.

When dealing with wireless performance improvement, it's important to remember that you need to consider both transmit and receive performance. "Shouting louder" by boosting transmit gain may help you reach a distant receiver. But unless the receiver can also "shout louder" or you can boost the receive sensitivity at the transmitter, then the conversation will be one-way, which won't help.

This is why the best improvement usually is obtained by increasing antenna gain, since it works for both receive and transmit, or reducing the distance between transmitter and receiver.