What's new

Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven't bothered to put dd-wrt on the 610N, was thinking to wait for the stable release.

no, they take their time with that stuff, it's supported with V24 preSP2 Beta build 13064.

Crikey the gestation has been far longer than with other broadcom based devices they've supported in the past.
Sigh, oh well time to a do another small donation to help em along...

Should I install DD-WRT on the 610N?

DD-WRT supports both, v1 and v2 and I believe kernel2.6 version has jumbo frame support.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys
Scroll down to WRT610 v1 or v2

Are you saying if I install the firmware supplied by DD-WRT, that I will have Jumbo Frames and Aggregate Linking?

Can anyone confirm this and comment on DD-WRT as a whole? I don't know anything about DD-WRT.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I think the OP stated the DD-WRT firmware supports both V1 and V2 of the 610N, not enabling Jumbo Frames and/or Aggregatge Linking.

Still, are there positive benefits to installing DD-WRT?

Last edited:
From LAN to LAN about 34000.

I think it's not valid for WAN to LAN, though.
How did you measure this?

Simultaneous connections is a measure of many sessions the router can handle, not the switch.

I just want to stress the LAN side, because I was too lazy to reconfigure all the machine again after a WAN simulation.

So I used a 2 NICs PC and 2 instances of the Server/Client program you pointed out.

I did some other tests, obtaining crazy results with this setup and even virtualizing another OS to cheat bench programs. Like over 200mbps of transfer speed with the virtualized NIC being only fast ethernet due to drivers.

I have some other cheap routers to compare, but I doubt this setup could show any valuable data :p
________
PRILOSEC PREGNANCY

Last edited:
thiggins
Simultaneous connections is a measure of many sessions the router can handle, not the switch.
+1. May be you can test it?

drapos
I was too lazy to reconfigure all the machine again after a WAN simulation
Just do a backup ;)

I think thiggins doesn't have this router anymore.

Anyway, I have no problem to test this if he just tell me, step by step, how to configure the scenario. There is no sense to test differently.

I only have 1 PC right now. It have two Realtek 8111B 10/100/1000. Every test I have done so far gave fake data as far as I know, because the different NIC aren't completely isolated each other. Don't sure even virtualizing another OS could work.

Just do a backup ;)

This router is a little capricious...
________
MARIJUANA VAPORIZER

Last edited:
I don't have a WRT610N. The instructions for doing the test are in the download.
You need two computers, one on LAN, one on WAN to do the test.

I'll be testing an E3000 shortly. Those results should also speak for the WRT610N.

I was asking for a method involving only one PC, with one ethernet to LAN and the other to WAN. If you think this would be possible.

Anyway, we could also find differences between V1 and v2.
________
Geo/chevrolet tracker history

Last edited:
- wrt610n v1 - 12274 simultaneous connections;
- wrt610n v2 - 12267 simultaneous connections.

- wrt610n v1 - 12274 simultaneous connections;
- wrt610n v2 - 12267 simultaneous connections.
Thanks. The difference between the two results is not really significant, i.e. there is no real difference between V1 and V2.

I don't have a WRT610N. The instructions for doing the test are in the download.
You need two computers, one on LAN, one on WAN to do the test.

I'll be testing an E3000 shortly. Those results should also speak for the WRT610N.

When are you testing E3000? This month or next? I am curious to see how the WAN to LAN and LAN to LAN performs?

When are you testing E3000? This month or next? I am curious to see how the WAN to LAN and LAN to LAN performs?
In a week or so. I don't test LAN to LAN. I expect it to be the same as the WRT610N.

In a week or so. I don't test LAN to LAN. I expect it to be the same as the WRT610N.

What do you mean you don't test LAN to LAN? I thought you were doing that in all your testing here? Didn't post for some suggestions to your reviews what users want to have done in your test. I say test LAN to LAN. So your test are only WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN including WWAN to WLAN the versa. I do both LAN to LAN and LAN to WAN and versa.

I have never tested LAN to LAN on routers, tipstir. That would be testing only the switch chip and there is no useful information to be gained since there are no significant differences among products.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!