What's new

Load balancing with two ISPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trunolimit

Occasional Visitor
Hello I was wondering if there is a way to load balance between 2 different ISPs. If I were to have lets say a cable internet connection with 3mbs down/up and a DSL internet connection with lets say 1mbps down/up is there some way of combining these two links logically and gain some internet speed?

I have two cisco catalyst at my disposal if that works.

You need a dual WAN endpoint/router.

I use the Zyxel USG series and am very happy.

Just note that all dual WAN endpoints will allow you to do failover/round robin/least load first type allocation but it won't truly combine/bond both WAN connections.

If this is for home use the USG50 will probably do the job. Its under $250. If you need more power and/or plan to use the UTM services (AV, etc) look at the USG100. If you want triple WAN look at the USG200.

Last edited:
Have you used shareband? Have you had any problems? if it does what it promises then OMG that's awesome. In a place like New York City where most of our clients live it's a god send. I am at the mercy of whatever ISP is available in a certain building. With this, I can just bond a cable and DSL line and call it a day.

There's an IETF (RFC) standard called Link Aggregation - for routers that can combine multiple WAN connections to benefit a single TCP or GRE tunnel connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

I've seen a number of low cost routers that support the standard.

I do not know how they deal with the vastly different packet latency of DSL and cable modems (faster than DSL), as latency is first due to the bit rate/speed and secondly due to the hop count.

Sharedband works very well.

I didn't keep it because my only choice of ISP CenturyLink DSL is oversold, so I can't even get a single 1.5 Mbps DSL link maxed out.

Load balancing and failover, with limitations is one of the enterprise features of PFSense, a router distro for DIY routers.

Might want to take a look. There are quite a few write-ups about it here at SNB. Do you have an old machine laying around?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!