What's new

Local network with public IP's?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dalgard

Occasional Visitor
Okay, so nobody was able to help me with my last post, and I'm guessing it was just too verbose, so...

What happens if I connect all my network devices through the same bridge to my ISP (where they will get a static IP via DHCP)? Will they perceive each other as being on the same local network? Or will they just be isolated parts of the big bad internet, thus being unable to do media streaming, backup and so forth?

I don't really understand the difference between WAN and LAN when there's no NAT involved :confused:

Thank you... :)

if your isp assigns all the computers on the same local subnet, it should be fine.

ie, your assigned 16 ips (255.255.255.240 subnet mask) and all your computers are within the same subnet block, like

8.8.8.0 through 8.8.8.15

etc

I would guess the bigger issue is not your local computers connecting to each other, but that any computer on the internet can try to connect to any of your computers, so unless you have some really good firewall/antivirus/antimalware installed, your opening yourself up to a potentially constant barrage of attacks from anywhere on the internet.

Thanks for your answer, teknojnky! :)

So far the two notebooks in my apartment are doing all right with their public IP's - thanks, maybe, to an updated firewall and anti-virus and me generally acting responsibly online.

With a Linux box (NAS/web server) i suppose most holes are generally shut and proper authentication needed, or...? Should I take some specific precautions when setting up my mini-server and connecting it "publicly"?

for a publicly accessible linux box, you mostly just want to ensure you have strong root/admin passwords, as hackers can run scripts other stuff to try common/dictionary passwords.

once they get root, the box is theirs (assuming they know what they are doing and/or you don't).