What's new

Losing connection to ethernet client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forskare

New Around Here
Hi!

I have a strange problem and cannot figure out what is wrong:

Setup: Router (Asus rt-n56u) and a NAS (LG N2A2) connected via ethernet, all other clients are wirelessly connected devices (2 macbooks, an appleTV and an airport express).

The NAS is visible on all computers of the network without any problems when I start it. After some undefined time (might be anything from 2h to 2days) the NAS suddenly disappears from the network without obvious reason and I have to restart it to re-appear.

I first thought, it might me a DHCP issue, so I force-fixed the IP to the MAC of the NAS - nothing chances.

Also not a firewall problem of the router - I switched it off and nothing changed.

Neither is it a problem of standby - wake up issues, have tried that.

I do not even understand if this is a problem of the router settings or of the NAS settings. Why does it always work for some time and then drop-out?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

When the share "disappears" can you ping it? If you can try access via UNC (enter //iP of NAS in Run box)

Assign a static IP to the NAS. This is different than DHCP reservation. If that doesn't work, it is more likely a NAS problem than router.

I did that, at least that´s what I think.

In the LAN-DHCP Server settings of the router, I manually assigned an IP address around the DHCP list to the MAC address of the NAS.

At the same time I told the NAS not to request one through DHCP and to instead use the static IP address I assigned to it.

Is that what you wanted me to do?

Cheers

Yes but the first step was unnecessary. I have no other suggestions. I think the problem is in the NAS.

Ok, thanks. That is quite annoying, but at least it tells that I am not a complete idiot.

Thanks a lot for your help! very nice!

Got the same problem. Tried every thing mentioned in this thread to no success.
Going to try LG support next

I did that, at least that´s what I think.

In the LAN-DHCP Server settings of the router, I manually assigned an IP address around the DHCP list to the MAC address of the NAS.

At the same time I told the NAS not to request one through DHCP and to instead use the static IP address I assigned to it.

Is that what you wanted me to do?

Cheers

Confused, you used DHCP reservation(static via router) or static assignment via the NAS? Sounds like you used DHCP reserve, but maybe you could try static via NAS and will require the IP be located outside the DHCP pool of addresses.

Have you solved the problem?

Hello everybody

I have the same problem. After buying it, no problems for months, then it started disappearing every 30min-2hrs. The frequency has increased..

Were you able to fix it? How?

Thanks!!
Beppe

Hello everybody

I have the same problem. After buying it, no problems for months, then it started disappearing every 30min-2hrs. The frequency has increased..

Were you able to fix it? How?

Thanks!!
Beppe
I have the same problem though, in contrast to giusipeppe, the time it takes the NAS (LG N2A2) to drop from the network varies from a few hours to a few days.

I have the same problem though, in contrast to giusipeppe, the time it takes the NAS (LG N2A2) to drop from the network varies from a few hours to a few days.
Yes, i upgraded the firmware and wiped the drives. Very time consuming and ineffective but it was the only thing that worked.
After firmware upgrade it works perfectly. Better then ever i have to say.
I have 9595 as version number.

Updated Firmware, but still a problem - and it is not simple!

Hmmm, I have Googled my way to this forum and it seems to be the only place on the www that discusses the random dropout issue ATM. I had the 9595 software and the problem so was reconciled to trying the initialise option. However I have stumbled across a later version of software on the UK site here:
http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-N2A2

being version 10119 whereas the LG site still has 9595. I upgraded to this version and am STILL having the problem!!! So I expect the reinitialise thing still needs to happen.

One thing I have noticed in the considerable stuffing around with this issue is that the disappearance of the drive SEEMS to be related to the way it is addressed. I am not yet absolutely sure but if I address it via the network address, ie \\LG-NAS\WhateverTheFolderNameIs\SubFolder\Etc it seems to not disappear but addressing it via a mapped drive seems to kill it off fairly quickly, but not immediately. I also suspect moving files is a problem but copying and deleting isn't.

Also I am noticing another problem. As I am getting ready for an initialise there is a folder with 20 sub folders and a gazillion sub sub folders and about 20Gb data all up in about 15,000 files. It WILL NOT copy properly. The first attempt was a move and the drive disappeared after 4 smallish files and it corrupted a fifth. So I did a copy and it reported as finished but had only done about 12Gb and around half the sub directories but only some of them were complete copies. When I then do a copy over the top of the already copied stuff - which means merge all needs to be OK'd and Don't Copy for all duplicates it might do a few but gets to a point that it flatly refuses to finish the job. So I keep drilling down to sub directories to find the incomplete ones and copy direct, which works.

So I am just saying in the above that something else quite flakey is going on. Whether it is a drive failure of some kind or it is to be miraculously fixed by a re-initialise I don't know as yet. But I figure anyone else with the same, obviously design / build fault, will want to have a clue what they are looking at. And maybe throw some light on the true issue with this extra info?

Edit: This is a Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit m/c, by the way. The drive is on a Tenda G100D Network switch and the PC plugs into the same switch. A Netcomm NB9WMAXXn modem does all the DHCP allocations etc. I had put DNS to manual everywhere but have just bumped it all back to auto as it seemed to be no purpose having manual. I noted in the NAS network setup it said the UPnP configuration was wrong in the modem and would I like it to try & fix it? I said yes and it has stayed fixed. Dunno if that is important but if I jag an answer that is a piece I "touched" too.

Another piece, may be irrelevant, but the switch to modem connections are 20m Cat 6e cables. This is because the NAS is in the roof as my back-up against theft (hopefully) and the switch also in the roof is used to push connections off to other devices around that end of the house. It is quite a pain having to go into the roof to restart the NAS when it disappears just so the auto back-up routine (using Second Copy) continues to work. For whatever reason the PC & modem to switch only connect at 100 whereas everything else off the switch connect at Gigabit speeds. This doesn't bother me at the moment as I have not had an issue running 1080 HD videos off the PC through the switch and out the PS3 to the tv but if I do I will look into that more.

Last edited:
Related Network Issues to LG N2A2 Dropouts?

I will add I have run the following commands from:
http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/vista-network-troubleshooting.html

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

after some Googling of the copying problem pointed out there are quite a few flaws in Win 7's ability to copy across networks. I should add I do not have SP1 installed as it conflicts with my SSD. I retrofitted that sucker and it turns out MS do not have ANY way to retrofit an SSD - apart from a fresh install. The penalty of the way I did it was no Bitlocker which in turn meant no SP1.

Despite the TCP adjustment above I also noted I was getting mis-reports of the actual number of files in the LG N2A2 and drilled down to find them. Clearly in one directory there were 3 proper .doc files but Explorer properties reported 2. Hmm, we plebs count on this shyte being right but there it wasn't. I found TeraCopy 2.3 beta 2 (http://codesector.com/downloads) did a great job of copying the files although in 27,000 files the two Explorer properties windows had a discrepancy of 1 file - and I couldn't be bothered looking for it!

In all the above I didn't lose the NAS once. Yesterday it would have been 3 or 4 times for much less work. None of this is a proven answer, but feel free to stumble around in the same stuff I've been as all good so far.....