What's new

Making OpenVPN for China - RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

michaeldp123

New Around Here
Hi,
I want to help my family over in China with an OpenVPN with my router. I've been tweaking the router with the 2 different interface types and protocols, and it doesn't seem to work with any of them. Is there a way that I can help my family to bypass the Great Firewall with my router? I am a complete newbie to VPNs, and I came upon this forum by Google searches. Hope someone can help me with this. Thanks.

AFAIK, China's Firewall blocks OpenVPN traffic.

Yes I am very aware of that. But is there a way where I can hide the OpenVPN IP to trick their firewall so that they wouldn't block it?

The IP isn't the problem, it's the protocol. You will need to run a server that has some special protocol obfuscation (like the commonly used XOR patch). Asuswrt doesn't support this obfuscation method.

Search for Asuswrt-phantom on the web for a potential alternative.

The IP isn't the problem, it's the protocol. You will need to run a server that has some special protocol obfuscation (like the commonly used XOR patch). Asuswrt doesn't support this obfuscation method.

Search for Asuswrt-phantom on the web for a potential alternative.
I updated the firmware to phantom, but I still only see two protocols (TCP, UDP). So I guess no good?

I updated the firmware to phantom, but I still only see two protocols (TCP, UDP). So I guess no good?
You need to do a search on the XOR patch for how to activate it. There are statements that need to be added to the custom config section on both the server and client.

You will have to contact the Asuwrt-Phantom author to ask him how to enable OpenVPN scrambling. He doesn't seem to include any documentation on his Github repo unfortunately.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!