What's new

Asus rt ax86s usb datastick security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr Zed

New Around Here
Hi all,
I would like to use a usb datastick with my router and on occasion, remotely, securely access the info with family ios devices.
What would be the most secure way to set this up? Security being the prime motivation. Is vpn instant guard an option?
I'm a newbie that finds the options in the manual confusing and the explanation on the internet even more confusing.
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum.

One can use either OpenVPN server or Wireguard (if the router supports it) on the Asus router to access a USB hard drive/flash drive attached to the router. One can use the forum search feature to search for many past discussions on how to setup OpenVPN server or Wireguard server. Also plenty of discussion on USB devices on Asus routers as well. And there are DIY guides on the internet that can be found via a internet search as well. For example:

ACCESS YOUR USB DRIVE ON ASUS ROUTER FROM THE INTERNET WITH VPN OPENVPN

Hi all,
I would like to use a usb datastick with my router and on occasion, remotely, securely access the info with family ios devices.
What would be the most secure way to set this up? Security being the prime motivation. Is vpn instant guard an option?
I'm a newbie that finds the options in the manual confusing and the explanation on the internet even more confusing.
Thanks for any help.
Yes, Instant Guard is a great option for you. Simple operation. Apps for iOS and Android. Make sure to set up DDNS first unless you have a static WAN IP address.

Is vpn instant guard an option?

Only if your router has public WAN IP address. It doesn't work with private IP addresses - double NAT or CG-NAT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!