What's new

Making overclocking persistent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
I've read the best place to put the
Code:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

call is in services-stop, so that it persists reboots. Is that correct?

How much over all gain do you expect? Watch the heat.

Did you just give away your geo country of origin? :)

I use those USB cooling pads here in Thailand on all of my modems and routers and get an average drop of 20 Celsius with them. I plug them into a power strip that has fittings for USB devices.
Oh no you know I live in the UK :eek:

I've read the best place to put the
Code:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

call is in services-stop, so that it persists reboots. Is that correct?
It used to be now Asus seem to have blocked any overclocking via command.
I ended up dumping the CFE, editing in the new clock speed and uploading it again. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/page-42#post-327977

Before I did that no matter what CPU speed I set (I put in 9500 for the fun of it) sending the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo" va telnet always showed it was at the base clock.

It used to be now Asus seem to have blocked any overclocking via command.
I ended up dumping the CFE, editing in the new clock speed and uploading it again. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/page-42#post-327977

Before I did that no matter what CPU speed I set (I put in 9500 for the fun of it) sending the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo" va telnet always showed it was at the base clock.

Same experience... Bogomips never changes anymore :( Stuck with my stock 800 mhz ac68u...

This may be a stupid request but any chance there is a link (or someone can write up) and idiots guide to modify the CFE and uploading it? That thread you linked is kinda all over the place.

Last edited:
Same experience... Bogomips never changes anymore :( Stuck with my stock 800 mhz ac68u...

This may be a stupid request but any chance there is a link (or someone can write up) and idiots guide to modify the CFE and uploading it? That thread you linked is kinda all over the place.
Second this

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

This is how I went about, it when noticed that the cpu freq. configuration was not persisting, and so far it seems to have worked for me (AC87U), for the past few FW releases. I just updated to 380.67-alpha2-g1bd1e71 btw.

in /jffs/scripts/init-start

Code:
/usr/sbin/nvram set clkfreq="1200,800"
/usr/sbin/cru a clkfreq  "59 * * * * nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 && nvram commit"
/usr/sbin/nvram commit

Read the 1st post and use mtd-write v3 as everything you need is there.

This is how I went about, it when noticed that the cpu freq. configuration was not persisting, and so far it seems to have worked for me (AC87U), for the past few FW releases. I just updated to 380.67-alpha2-g1bd1e71 btw.

in /jffs/scripts/init-start

Code:
/usr/sbin/nvram set clkfreq="1200,800"
/usr/sbin/cru a clkfreq  "59 * * * * nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 && nvram commit"
/usr/sbin/nvram commit
Mine seems to stick without needing the cron though I may add it to be safe, assuming bogomips being valid for this router it reports twice the OC set, which I believe is right?

Mine seems to stick without needing the cron though I may add it to be safe, assuming bogomips being valid for this router it reports twice the OC set, which I believe is right?

Sure. In every login to the router the setting persisted thereafter. At some point for sure something must have changed (have no clue about it, didn't bother to dig further), which indeed made this specific configuration revert to original, during the cycle.

But so far:

Code:
user@router:/jffs# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor    : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor    : 0
BogoMIPS    : 2398.61

processor    : 1
BogoMIPS    : 2398.61

Features    : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant    : 0x3
CPU part    : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware    : Northstar Prototype
Revision    : 0000
Serial        : 0000000000000000

and

screen 2017-06-02 at 10.32.02.jpeg

I noticed this link no longer works...anyone still have instructions on how to ensure bogomips changes after overclocking?

sure its still working with Merlin384.9
RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 2398.61

But needed to be done in cfe like directly seen in link #16, dont use 1400 if you not very very sure it will work, otherwise nice brick!
Only use speed you definitely know to work, 1000 should be safe and 1200 for most ok too.

sure its still working with Merlin384.9
RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 2398.61

But needed to be done in cfe like directly seen in link #16, dont use 1400 if you not very very sure it will work, otherwise nice brick!
Only use speed you definitely know to work, 1000 should be safe and 1200 for most ok too.

Ok....can you tell me how update the cfe? I tried those instructions on post #16 with no luck.

Last edited:
Just SSH to the router and type (copy paste) exactly these 2 lines one after the other from #16, but change 1400 to 1000 or 1200 before!
Thats it and verify (bogomips are about double value of clock) with: cat /proc/cpuinfo
Tested it again and working/changing still well!

You have to delete all other changes or cron jobs which you might have done before.
With this nothing else has to be done to have it persistant.

Last edited:
Just SSH to the router and type (copy paste) exactly these 2 lines one after the other from #16, but change 1400 to 1000 or 1200 before!
Thats it and verify (bogomips are about double value of clock) with: cat /proc/cpuinfo
Tested it again and working/changing still well!

You have to delete all other changes or cron jobs which you might have done before.
With this nothing else has to be done to have it persistant.

Thanks for the assistance but I tried all these steps with no luck. Question for you....how can I delete previous changes or cron jobs that I've done in the past. I have copy and pasted those lines and bogomips never changes. However the GUI reflects the change but not bogomips. I will trying going back to an older FW to test ...any recommendations how far to go back? 376/380 FW???

I tested change with recent firmware, wont help to use older ones.
You can factory reset the router with "initialize" to set all back and configure by hand.

How do you see anything in GUI? I is all done in SSH-session.

What are the outputs of the commands? Must be: success