What's new

rt-ac68u firmware 386.11 overclocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bOcy

New Around Here
just here to inform i found overclocking the rt-ac68u (older versions) not working anymore with firmware 386.11 (i use merlin), 386.10 is the last known version that overclocking still works for me

Thanks for the data point. :)

However.

That decade-old design/hardware is great for Media Bridge mode. Well past its best-before-due date in router mode (at least for the faster ISP speeds available today).

Even overclocked, an entry-level AX class router such as an RT-AX68U will overshadow it (and yes, even with 'only' AC class clients).

Thanks for the data point. :)

However.

That decade-old design/hardware is great for Media Bridge mode. Well past its best-before-due date in router mode (at least for the faster ISP speeds available today).

Even overclocked, an entry-level AX class router such as an RT-AX68U will overshadow it (and yes, even with 'only' AC class clients).
actualy i'm going test again .... seems sometimes it work sometimes it doesnt

just here to inform i found overclocking the rt-ac68u (older versions) not working anymore with firmware 386.11 (i use merlin), 386.10 is the last known version that overclocking still works for me
What frequency are you overclocked to?

Don't remember if I overclocked my RT-AC68U but it runs fine on Merlin 386.11 with the following clock/bogomips:
Code:
nvram get clkfreq
1000/800
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Bogo
BogoMIPS        : 1998.84
BogoMIPS        : 1992.29

My Asus RT-AC68U H/W ver. A1 has been working for years at 1200,666, through all the firmware upgrades. It also worked on the latest 386.12_alpha1 when I was testing it.

Sure, there were the occasional hiccups when it wouldn't apply the clocks at a reboot, but I'd say it worked more than 90% of the time.
1692889150692.png

Whether the AC68U can be overclocked under Asuswrt-Merlin and stock firmware depends on your hardware version and CFE version, only the old hardware and CFE version have the opportunity to overclock, newer models (such as those with 1 GHz (4708C0/4709A0/4709C0) upgrade model) will not be able to overclock, when you overclock, you will be forced to downclock to 100 MHz.

Overclocking the AC68U is a bad idea in my opinion, the performance gain is pretty insignificant unless you use OpenVPN, but the heat boost is so noticeable, you're speeding up your AC68U to death.

I can't believe I've been around here long enough to have seen this rear its ugly head a second time now

Whether the AC68U can be overclocked under Asuswrt-Merlin and stock firmware depends on your hardware version and CFE version, only the old hardware and CFE version have the opportunity to overclock, newer models (such as those with 1 GHz (4708C0/4709A0/4709C0) upgrade model) will not be able to overclock, when you overclock, you will be forced to downclock to 100 MHz.

Overclocking the AC68U is a bad idea in my opinion, the performance gain is pretty insignificant unless you use OpenVPN, but the heat boost is so noticeable, you're speeding up your AC68U to death.
I agree 100% if you don't mitigate the heat BUT up until recently, when I finally upgraded, I had my 68U running at 1.2/666 for over 6 years and never a hiccup with anything including OpenVPN. Secret to this which has gotten some heated discussions on this forum is having a fan blowing across the side of the unit. Bought a cheap desk fan with a clip at Walmart with 2 speeds, set it to lowest speed and voila CPU never went above 61C...usually in the range of 55-58C. Replaced the fan only once in all those years so Wally Mart makes a good product :) Noise can be annoying so placed the unit in a strategic closet within the house and range was never an issue in my home. Of course results may vary but without a doubt the best damn router I have ever owned period!

thanks for everyone's reply

i always use the bogomips command in ssh to check if an overclock is working

i have 3 of the routers side by side, been running them at 1200,800 for a long while (since the covid lockdown 2020) but then found out the overclock is not working anymore after upgrading 386.11, reverting back to 386.10 still get same result

now i have all 3 routers at 386.11, only 1 of them is overclocked, while the other 2 remain at base clock speed

maybe i will try 1200,666, if not working i am still fine at base speeds

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!