What's new

Mapped a drive - can see some, but not all files !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mediaman

Regular Contributor
This one is a first for me. Hope thre is an easy fix.

I heve several machines hardwired on a home network, main unit is Vista desktop , others are Win XP SP3 desktops.

On one of the Win XP SP3 machines, I mapped a drive to the vista machine - all appears ok on the surface, except I can only see some , and not all of the files. Seems to randomly miss some completely.

I tried mapping with both an IP address and again with a computer name. Same results. Even if I drill using Windows Explorer via Entire Network->Microsfot Windows netork-> Network name -> Computer Name, to my file structure, I still only see 'some' of the files.

I googgled this and see others have this issue - but I have not found any solutions....

Any suggestions??

Last edited:
Check the permissions on the files that you can't see and see if they are different from the ones that you can see. Do this on the Vista machine.

The Visita files in question are in a 'public' shared folder, the music folder actually.

All files have the same attributes and none are hidden or otherwise protected. All files are similar in size and syntax. The issue is not specific to any one folder, ie it occurs in multiple folders, ie , on the Vista machine, I could have Folder1 with 100 files and Folder2 with 40 files ; on the XP machine, pointing to those folders, I only see 70 files in Folder1 and 25 files Folder2.

As a workaround, I now mirror the Vista files to another staging XP machine....and when I then map from one XP to another, it works fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!