What's new

Maybe Blocking YouTube isn’t worth it…

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
hey YouTube, pay attention to Reddit over the next few weeks. That'll give you an indication how it might go for you.

Simply block YouTube altogether, it is 90% useless garbage. The place is a cesspit. I looked at one feed last week, uBlock Origin blocked 92 cookies/ads/trackers just on that one feed.

Simply block YouTube altogether, it is 90% useless garbage. The place is a cesspit. I looked at one feed last week, uBlock Origin blocked 92 cookies/ads/trackers just on that one feed.

They want to install this shirt directly into your brain in the near future. Imagine that. How will this century end?

They want to install this shirt directly into your brain in the near future. Imagine that. How will this century end?

With a large proportion of the worlds population they'll only find a vacuum so their plan will fail ;)

That is to some extent bull$hit. There are thousands of really good content creators on YouTube that are well worth watching.
The LockPickingLawyer, The History Guy or the Physics Girl (sadly suffering from long Covid), just to name random favourites.
Like with TV, you have to find the channels that are of interest to you and stick to them.

Last edited:
The LockPickingLawyer, The History Guy or the Physics Girl (sadly suffering from long Covid), just to name random favourites.

So you waste your life wading through the rest of the rubbish and come up with these as examples of something good ?

I feel sorry for you, there are many more important things in life than YouTube .

TV stopped being entertaining or interesting many years ago , we see listed endless repeats or American made for TV films that are so bad you can't even laugh at them, so the TV sits in the corner unused.

Last edited:
So you waste your life wading through the rest of the rubbish and come up with these as examples of something good ?

I feel sorry for you.
I then wonder what you think are a good way to spend non-productive time to wind down and just consume?
Enlighten us please.

That is to some extent bull$hit. There are thousands of really good content creators on YouTube that are well worth watching.
Like with TV, you have to find the channels that are of interest to you and stick to them.
I completely agree with you, it's the same as with any media out there, you just need to find something worthwhile and something you enjoy watching. YouTube has a loads of interesting documentaries, tutorials, educational content or various opinions and news in some areas that TV doesn't provide and many more. It's like with the food, you become what you watch. So that's that.

Now, coming back to the main topic, I don't know where everyone are getting them pop-ups on YouTube or any other reported websites, I always had ads blocked and strangely enough, never get them pop-ups asking to disable my adblocker or what not.

I then wonder what you think are a good way to spend non-productive time to wind down and just consume?
Enlighten us please.

If you want to wind down anything other than screen time , phones , internet.

Read a book, go for a walk, meditate , take up knitting or study your belly button fluff .:D

If you want to wind down anything other than screen time , phones , internet.

Read a book, go for a walk, meditate , take up knitting or study your belly button fluff .:D
Which I also do, my library of books is extensive. And I 99% read English books. I was just on a three weeks vacation with lots of hiking.
To each their own and everyone has their own preference of how to wind down.
I have not had a TV subscription for more than two decades, never once turned a hotel TV on in at least 10 years.

But I do watch a select list of channels on YouTube when time allows.
We're even :cool:

I see nothing wrong with an occasional Youtube video here and there. I don't like some of the random nonsense on there sometimes, but I know how to navigate away from those videos. As for ads on youtube, that is how they remain functional as a free service to users who are not "Premium". If you know how to block those ads, go for it. I do not see there being enough people out there who are blocking youtube ads to cause youtube to no longer be able to support itself off of advertisements. For me, the lack of repeat user base might be the biggest reason youtube is not turning enough dimes off of those Youtube ads. Another factor is what they are choosing to advertising in those ads, and how long each Ad is. However, this could all just be a ploy for youtube to turn a bigger profit by forcing users to switch to Premium subscriptions.

Watching people comment on videos on youtube, while on youtube, is mind-numbing. The youth's brains have officially been fried.

Yes, there is some good content (even great), but the bathwater needs to be thrown out with the baby in this case. My opinion is the same since having been forced to watch it by a 'friend' in Q1 2005. Not friends with that person anymore (we now have nothing in common, and youtube didn't help him get motivated, that's for sure).

I see nothing wrong with an occasional Youtube video here and there. I don't like some of the random nonsense on there sometimes, but I know how to navigate away from those videos. As for ads on youtube, that is how they remain functional as a free service to users who are not "Premium". If you know how to block those ads, go for it. I do not see there being enough people out there who are blocking youtube ads to cause youtube to no longer be able to support itself off of advertisements. For me, the lack of repeat user base might be the biggest reason youtube is not turning enough dimes off of those Youtube ads. Another factor is what they are choosing to advertising in those ads, and how long each Ad is. However, this could all just be a ploy for youtube to turn a bigger profit by forcing users to switch to Premium subscriptions.
The latter, definitely. More general ensh!ttification of the internet

And so it continues…

yup...reddit has gotten uppity too.
people should really look at de-googling and check out the alternatives.
It's all out there, you just have to look for it a little harder rather than rely on being spoon fed - remember those days?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!