What's new

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ZenWiFi XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hmm, for some reason the wireless log is saying my backhaul bandwidth is 80Mhz even though it explicitly set to 160Mhz, go figure.

[edit, after googling the issues seems like it's a common issue on a bunch of other asus routers.]
The setting is 20/40/80/160, I think. You get 160 only if the channels are available, since some must be DFS.

The setting is 20/40/80/160, I think. You get 160 only if the channels are available, since some must be DFS.

depends what you choose, i chose 160Mhz only at channel 100, the next couple of channels aren't DFS, but even if some are they're still usuable

Advantages of router+AP for Ethernet ZenWifi XT8 over nodes setup as pair? I have the Ethernet backhaul setup over MoCa 2.0- It works well and stays up for days, possibly weeks at a time. But I have no idea how to setup this way? I would like to set least access both nodes with one app, one IP portal.

I'm thinking advantage would be assigning 5G-1 and 5G-2 of each node? Different channels too? Plus each node would have guest network capabilities as well?

Edit: the last time my XT8 had an issue, it was a momentary internet remedied by automatic reboot of router node. I saw the extension node was blinking blue but both reset without any user interaction. Maybe it was ISP related but modem logs have only shown regular DHCP warnings for some reason. ISP IP & DHCP lease renewal? Since I replaced the 3.0 Docsis modem with Docsis 3.1, the XT8 seems stable other than that auto reboot. It's only been 14 days though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
If you want to setup router+AP, you just need to restore factory default on the second node, setup it up as a router, and then change the operation mode to AP mode. It's easier to setup using the router app on the smartphone. But you will need to access the router and the AP via different IP addresses. You probably need to configure them individually since I am not sure if the AP will sync its settings with the router. My setup is AP+AP, and they work independently.

You are correct about the wifi configurations. You have all the control.

If you want to setup router+AP, you just need to restore factory default on the second node, setup it up as a router, and then change the operation mode to AP mode. It's easier to setup using the router app on the smartphone. But you will need to access the router and the AP via different IP addresses. You probably need to configure them individually since I am not sure if the AP will sync its settings with the router. My setup is AP+AP, and they work independently.

You are correct about the wifi configurations. You have all the control.
Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

I may try this when I've got time alone with the network. It's been in high demand with stay at home edicts and home schooling due to corona virus.

I continue to have preriodic issues with (iPhones in particular) not getting assigned IP addresses via DHCP and therefore not having net access. This seems to be on the node only. I’ve also had the flashing blue light a few times with wired back haul. Plus time machine not working. Getting sick of this, tempted to get rid of these and get an older non-Asus AC mesh. Anyone else experiencing this DHCP issue? Someone else mentioned it on a thread I started.

I haven’t encountered any DHCP issues (knock on wood) with the ZenWiFi XT8 system since performing a factory reset and reconfiguration.

I’ve also encountered them occasionally in the past on an Orbi AC setup. A reboot of the router would fix the situation for several weeks. On rare occasions, the router would quit passing traffic from the WLAN to the LAN. Traffic would be fine on each, but I couldn’t access any hardwired systems from the WLAN or any wireless clients from the LAN. A reboot would also fix this issue.

Last edited:
Anyone having an issue where deselecting the option for dedicated wireless backhaul doesn’t actually disable wireless backhaul? And anyone having an issue where putting the 5ghz-2 into AX only mode doesn’t really put it in AX only mode? (Non-ax clients can connect).

I also bought this for the 160mhz channel width and feel totally ripped off.

I’m starting to believe that half the settings in this firmware are totally fake. Let the user think they changed a setting but really it doesn’t do anything at all.

I hate feeling ripped off. Specially when I just spent over grand on WiFi With firmware that lies.

BTW, I’ve had a great two weeks with this system so far and I like it a lot. I would recommend it for cutting edge future-proofers with a busy home network with many wireless devices (I’m running 31 devices on this system with zero issues)

Anyone having an issue where deselecting the option for dedicated wireless backhaul doesn’t actually disable wireless backhaul? And anyone having an issue where putting the 5ghz-2 into AX only mode doesn’t really put it in AX only mode? (Non-ax clients can connect).

I also bought this for the 160mhz channel width and feel totally ripped off.

I’m starting to believe that half the settings in this firmware are totally fake. Let the user think they changed a setting but really it doesn’t do anything at all.

I hate feeling ripped off. Specially when I just spent over grand on WiFi With firmware that lies.

BTW, I’ve had a great two weeks with this system so far and I like it a lot. I would recommend it for cutting edge future-proofers with a busy home network with many wireless devices (I’m running 31 devices on this system with zero issues)
The mobile app seems to conflict with the IP portal for the wireless backhaul. Move is configured wired backhaul; mobile app only shows uplink is wired. I don't know if it's an issue getting the 160 MHz bandwidth or not but I know my 5G-2 network is active, though the mobile shows it's dedicated backhaul because I can connect to it with my phone.

But I did notice the 5G-2 is stronger than 5G-1 outside. I'm just ignoring the mobile app 5G-2 user settings. I've sent numerous suggestion emails and feedback to Asus but no response.

I did read that get 160 MHz bandwidth, other posters were suggesting to hide the 5G-2 SSID, select 160 and use DFS channels. No way to pick a channel this way but that's what I'm doing in the IP portal.

The mobile app seems to conflict with the IP portal for the wireless backhaul. Move is configured wired backhaul; mobile app only shows uplink is wired. I don't know if it's an issue getting the 160 MHz bandwidth or not but I know my 5G-2 network is active, though the mobile shows it's dedicated backhaul because I can connect to it with my phone.

But I did notice the 5G-2 is stronger than 5G-1 outside. I'm just ignoring the mobile app 5G-2 user settings. I've sent numerous suggestion emails and feedback to Asus but no response.

I did read that get 160 MHz bandwidth, other posters were suggesting to hide the 5G-2 SSID, select 160 and use DFS channels. No way to pick a channel this way but that's what I'm doing in the IP portal.

Weird. Didn’t work for me. Half my channels are greyed out. I wonder if it’s because I live near an airport and their radar makes it impossible to use 160 MHz channels???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird. Didn’t work for me. Half my channels are greyed out. I wonder if it’s because I live near an airport and their radar makes it impossible to use 160 MHz channels???

Yes; seems this could be the case if you're close to radar.

Here's an in-depth article that may be of use to you.
https://motorolacable.com/whitepapers/wifi-dfs

Put in my pair of XT8 for 2 weeks replacing my previous APs (a TPLink AX6000 and Netgear EAX80) and am regretting it a bit. Range of the XT8 is less than either the TPLink Archer AX6000 or the EAX80, and setting channels are less flexible with the XT8s as well (both in AP mode and more so in CrappyMesh mode).

Some questions about the XT8 and hopeful gurus here can shed some light.....

1. Does the Wifi Multi-band Agility actually works on the XT8? Also, do they work in Mesh mode only or also in AP mode? I wonder how 802.11k/v will work if the pair of XT8s are in AP and not acting as a system together.........

2. Seems that XT8 5G-1 can only run on UNII-1 but not UNII-2 (channel 52 -64). Is this a limitation of the device or is it because I am having my XT8s in AiMesh? Can I select channel 52-64 if I reset my XT8 into AP only?

3. Is Asus fixing the stupid guest network across mesh nodes or is it set in stone that guest network only work on the primary AP node?

4. I see Asus has options for MU-MIMO for 2.4G and 5G-1. Is it kind of useless enabling it on those 2 bands given that the XT8 only has a 2x2 radio on those 2 bands and most of my devices are 2x2s?

After thoughts, seems to me that if I am running a wireless network with APs, dual-band 4x4 AX aps are probably a better choice than consumer mesh systems, provided that I don't need wireless AP-AP connections........

PS. Region is set to United States already

Last edited:
Put in my pair of XT8 for 2 weeks replacing my previous APs (a TPLink AX6000 and Netgear EAX80) and am regretting it a bit. Range of the XT8 is less than either the TPLink Archer AX6000 or the EAX80, and setting channels are less flexible with the XT8s as well (both in AP mode and more so in CrappyMesh mode).

Some questions about the XT8 and hopeful gurus here can shed some light.....

1. Does the Wifi Multi-band Agility actually works on the XT8? Also, do they work in Mesh mode only or also in AP mode? I wonder how 802.11k/v will work if the pair of XT8s are in AP and not acting as a system together.........

2. Seems that XT8 5G-1 can only run on UNII-1 but not UNII-2 (channel 52 -64). Is this a limitation of the device or is it because I am having my XT8s in AiMesh? Can I select channel 52-64 if I reset my XT8 into AP only?

3. Is Asus fixing the stupid guest network across mesh nodes or is it set in stone that guest network only work on the primary AP node?

4. I see Asus has options for MU-MIMO for 2.4G and 5G-1. Is it kind of useless enabling it on those 2 bands given that the XT8 only has a 2x2 radio on those 2 bands and most of my devices are 2x2s?

After thoughts, seems to me that if I am running a wireless network with APs, dual-band 4x4 AX aps are probably a better choice than consumer mesh systems, provided that I don't need wireless AP-AP connections........

I bet it’s the settings because I can pull up a web page from 6 houses down the street from the router, no problem. I played with settings until I got the best performance.

1. It didn’t perform for me so I disabled smart connect and multi band agility.

2. I can’t answer that but it’s definitely frustrating. I’m getting perfect performance, regardless.

3. I can’t answer that because I never use guest network mode. I suppose they expect your guests to stay close to the main node?

4. I enabled and saw dramatic improvement in throughput on my iPhone 11 Pro. Getting a solid 800mbps down all over my property.

Here’s my settings... check them out. Took me a long time to come to these settings where everything is perfectly working, including near-perfect roaming behavior

67a619609065443748cc31eebb3e9288.jpg

e6dda5c3790d908362ffa1de3a395db3.jpg

4b7785ca3bde98f71d4fb7d0d6bfcfd0.jpg

74b7763751da7ec59eb249847f61a7a2.jpg

I bet it’s the settings because I can pull up a web page from 6 houses down the street from the router, no problem. I played with settings until I got the best performance.

1. It didn’t perform for me so I disabled smart connect and multi band agility.

2. I can’t answer that but it’s definitely frustrating. I’m getting perfect performance, regardless.

3. I can’t answer that because I never use guest network mode. I suppose they expect your guests to stay close to the main node?

4. I enabled and saw dramatic improvement in throughput on my iPhone 11 Pro. Getting a solid 800mbps down all over my property.

Here’s my settings... check them out. Took me a long time to come to these settings where everything is perfectly working, including near-perfect roaming behavior

67a619609065443748cc31eebb3e9288.jpg

e6dda5c3790d908362ffa1de3a395db3.jpg

4b7785ca3bde98f71d4fb7d0d6bfcfd0.jpg

74b7763751da7ec59eb249847f61a7a2.jpg

Thanks for posting your settings, I just got a XT8 and you’ve been a giant help.
Works great.

Going back to my issue with my mesh point constantly disconnecting. I was given an RMA from Asus Support but I declined it and said I will wait for the next firmware update. This past Thursday, they sent me a beta firmware that's slightly higher in version number than the latest firmware today and almost 48 hours later I haven't had any issues.

Going back to my issue with my mesh point constantly disconnecting. I was given an RMA from Asus Support but I declined it and said I will wait for the next firmware update. This past Thursday, they sent me a beta firmware that's slightly higher in version number than the latest firmware today and almost 48 hours later I haven't had any issues.

Great news. Thanks for sharing! Hope it works out for ya. Been fantastic for us so far. Fingers crossed.

Hello. Do you think you could share the beta firmware with me?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!