What's new

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ZenWiFi XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just as a information, this router is not compatible with a 10Gbps connection from the ISP's router.

I have a fiber connection with a 10Gbps speed. The ISP's router has a 10Gbps Ethernet port, that works fine connecting directly to the computer (where I can measure easily more than 2.5 Gbps speeds).

I bought this mesh system to upgrade to a wifi 6 system, and I choose this one because it had a 2.5Gbps WAN port (a lot of wifi 6 router only have a gigabit wan port).

The problem is that, when connecting this router to the 10Gbps port, I simply don't have any connection (when connecting to my ISP's gigabit port everything works well).

I tried setting both nodes as the master (to see if it was a fault with one of them)and it didn't work. Also tested with another router from my ISP and it didn't work as well.

I'm very disappointed with this router and feeling I just wasted my money for nothing.

Also I have no concrete answer from Asus regarding this issue...

Just as a information, this router is not compatible with a 10Gbps connection from the ISP's router.

I have a fiber connection with a 10Gbps speed. The ISP's router has a 10Gbps Ethernet port, that works fine connecting directly to the computer (where I can measure easily more than 2.5 Gbps speeds).

I bought this mesh system to upgrade to a wifi 6 system, and I choose this one because it had a 2.5Gbps WAN port (a lot of wifi 6 router only have a gigabit wan port).

The problem is that, when connecting this router to the 10Gbps port, I simply don't have any connection (when connecting to my ISP's gigabit port everything works well).

I tried setting both nodes as the master (to see if it was a fault with one of them)and it didn't work. Also tested with another router from my ISP and it didn't work as well.

I'm very disappointed with this router and feeling I just wasted my money for nothing.

The real issue here is why on earth would you expected this system to work at 10gbps???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn't the expectation. Just that the 10Gbps connection from the ISP could be used. :)

The real issue here is why on earth would you expected this system to work at 10gbps???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was not expecting it to work at 10Gbps. Even from the ISP I don't have the full 10Gbps. What I was expecting was that the router would be able to use the 2.5Gbps port at it's fullest, without forcing me to connect to a 1Gbps port.

Does your ISP 10G port support Multi-Gig or is it a 10G only port? A 10G only port supports only 10G and a 1G connection as fallback, but does not support 5G/2.5G which the XT8 uses......

Was not expecting it to work at 10Gbps. Even from the ISP I don't have the full 10Gbps. What I was expecting was that the router would be able to use the 2.5Gbps port at it's fullest, without forcing me to connect to a 1Gbps port.

I sadly moved away from my fibre provider as I moved home, however the XT8 worked at the full claimed fibre speeds (which in my case were 1 gbps).

In your case I do have following questions:

1. How is your fibre provider configured? Do they supply a router, or are they just providing an ONT?

2. What mode have you placed your XTR8s in? e.g. AP mode etc?

3. What is your network setup overall?

4. What cabling are you using in your network?

5. Are you using any SFP ports in your network?

6. Have you followed other advice on this forum about splitting up your network into three core bands (2.4 for low speed devices, 5-1 for legacy devices and 5-2 for ax devices: this also assumes you are using cabling for backhaul)?

I only received mine on Friday so I've been on the latest firmware since I've owned them, they've been rock stable not one disconnect. Just the back-haul channel width that's been bothering me. Even on 80mhz the tx/rx rates are around 1gbps so it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to figure out why it's not linking at 160.
Same here. If I reboot the system, I start out at 160 but after a couple of days it magically drops down to 80 until I reboot again. Very frustrating knowing this is happening. Like you said, its not the end of the world but I can't help but keep checking since I can have a lot of 5 Ghz clients on wireless at any given time.

Dropping from 160 to 80 are mostly due to DFS events, which depending on location, could very well be unavoidable....... And worse yet, all the wireless APs that I have encountered will NOT retest and go back up to 160 once and DFS event is detected.

Same here. If I reboot the system, I start out at 160 but after a couple of days it magically drops down to 80 until I reboot again. Very frustrating knowing this is happening. Like you said, its not the end of the world but I can't help but keep checking since I can have a lot of 5 Ghz clients on wireless at any given time.

If anyone is interested, I have a new beta from Asus. I was experiencing random internet connection drops that a power cycle fixed. I have been using the Feedback tool in Administration and they have been listening and responding to me. I've very happy with the support I've been receiving. Of course i've been like a mosquito buzzing in their ear ;).

386_25527

If anyone is interested, I have a new beta from Asus. I was experiencing random internet connection drops that a power cycle fixed. I have been using the Feedback tool in Administration and they have been listening and responding to me. I've very happy with the support I've been receiving. Of course i've been like a mosquito buzzing in their ear ;).

386_25527

what is you experience with it? What issues has it solved for you? Has it introduced any new features?

How is this paired with the AX11000? I have an AC5300 right now paired with my AX11000 and would like to buy one to replace it to have an all AX band mesh system. Right now I have the backbone wired and not wireless. Still wish ASUS would allow me to get that 2nd 5ghz wifi band when using a wired connection.

386_25527

How stable is 386_25527 , and have you noticed any other anomalies ?

thanks!!

I'm tempted to give the new beta a shot. Even though my wifi6 backhaul is connected at pretty much the max, I'm only getting 400/400 on wired devices to the node for some reason.

FYI: I asked in the Feedback tool if they could free up the 2.5G port on the main router for LAN use because most of us don't have connections any higher than 1G Internet, and we could just use an Ethernet port for it. I know it's possible, but unfortunately when you turn on dual-wan mode (or even use a USB port for WAN) it locks you out of the 2.5G port. Would like to connect from my PC to my NAS using 2.5G.

Last edited:
I have a strange anomaly with my XT8 being used as a wired mesh node with GT AX-11000 as main. Any firmware version after 5224 causes my wired connections to jump back and forth between my main router and my aimesh node router when checking the AImesh map in the network map. 5224 was the last version I used that didn't have this problem. I didn't notice any actual problem with connectivity so it may just be a display issue. I didn't have time to do any actual testing and there is nothing showing up in the log showing that anything was being connected and disconnected while this was happening so for now I'm just sticking with 5224.

Hi, I want to buy two packs of 2 routers (four in total), to use in a large 5 floor 18th century brick house setup. It's important that they all look the same hence going for four of the same. I just wanted to check if anyone had used more than 2 units together and if so, whether performance in wireless mesh mode is any good? I am presuming that daisy chaining wifi mesh (so that the final node is outside of range of router) works well. Going for Wi-Fi mesh before digging out walls for cabling because of age of house + size of project - any comments gratefully received. Thanks,

Ben

How many SqFt is the house? 4 AP's might be too much RF and may hinder, instead of helping, wireless performance.

It's 5 floors, semi-detached brick with a basement, I think it is over 5000sq/ft, but don't have plans. It's replacing an ISP router and extenders. I intend to install two and then test the system and then install others as needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!